The Spare-man Philosophy

Get one/two proper centre defenders in and perhaps a genuine holding midfielder and we are fine. Our problem this season has been that our two centre backs, Wilson especially, have been caught flat-footed, have made poor decisions, have not marked properly, have not taken up good starting positions, and are prone to ball-watching and letting their man drift away on the blind side. Having two inexperienced centre defenders (Wilson may not be a kid but he has not played 100 first class games) was always a gamble, and it is one I am hoping Warburton (and certainly Weir) sees needs redressed in either January or next summer. With Ball as the only CH back-up it is just more of the same, and having tried all combinations of the three W&W clearly think he is not as good as Wilson or Keirnan so then there was no point bringing him up here, as he doesn't offer anything different to the two in possession just now.

I dont think we need a spare man as such (at this level), just one/two good experienced fast defenders. Easier said than done, but we should not have to compromise our attacking intent because our centre backs are not a good enough combination to play there. Perhaps we could play Wilson OR Keirnan alongside a Weir/Gough/Cuellar type who can organise and dominate and talk the other one through games. More likely both need replaced for next season.

Many are suggesting we need a tough, old-fashioned centre-back like we used to have, but is that really going to work? Historically, our best centre-backs have been good because the team sat deep and they had cover -- they were not playing in a team that plays such expansive football. I doubt whether those old-types would be suitable. As much as I dislike him as a player, I think we need someone like David Luiz (obviously one that we would not have to spend £50 million on!); a new kind of centre-back, fast and mobile.

Many are suggesting we need a tough, old-fashioned centre-back like we used to have, but is that really going to work? Historically, our best centre-backs have been good because the team sat deep and they had cover -- they were not playing in a team that plays such expansive football. I doubt whether those old-types would be suitable. As much as I dislike him as a player, I think we need someone like David Luiz (obviously one that we would not have to spend £50 million on!); a new kind of centre-back, fast and mobile.

Agree mate what we need is a Vinny Jones, but who can actually play football. Now there was a Neanderthal.

Agree mate what we need is a Vinny Jones, but who can actually play football. Now there was a Neanderthal.

Ah, you're looking for a modern day Gregor Stevens.

My other candidate would be Jim Steele. We had him on loan from Southampton for a month in 1976, he played four games, was booked four times. Plean RSC made him their Player of the Year.

Ah, you're looking for a modern day Gregor Stevens.

My other candidate would be Jim Steele. We had him on loan from Southampton for a month in 1976, he played four games, was booked four times. Plean RSC made him their Player of the Year.

Those two don't fit Tsb's job description and neither does my favourite tough guy, Mr Harry Davis demolition man supreme.

I agree with the well argued OP as I said elsewhere

........ playing 3 at the back would ease the pressure on the the current 2 CB's when faced with 2 v 2 situations as at present or even 1 v 2 as against St Johnstone.

Essentially we play with two defenders most of the time, three might be better is all I'm saying. I'm not over-fussed if it's a defensive mid-fielder in the style of my nom-de-plume or a catenaccio style libero who comes forward into midfield.

Otherwise, we simply have to accept as a number have said that we will lose goals due to lack of cover from the full backs, lack of speed or loss of concentration by the CB's or just human error. That's football.

If it's a defensive midfield player then that person becomes the third or fifth defensive player when the opponents attack and a third or fourth midfielder when we go forward.

However, I don't agree that Athletic Bilbao are a Porsche to our VW. I was in the newly rebulit San Mames Stadium (cap 53,289)

4aZLWrY.jpg

for the Basque derby v Sociedad last February and it's true that their fans are fanatical but no more so than Rangers fans would be against Celtic; with one big difference, they mix in the bars over there and even inside some areas of the ground.

Athletic's policy of only signing Basque native or trained players is at once their strength but also a weakness, since although they are one of only three Clubs (like us) never to have been relegated, they have only won la liga on 8 occasions, the last being more than 30 years ago.