Celtic, Rangers attractive to Premier League - Warburton

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/celtic-rangers-attractive-premier-league-warburton?#:UgnqVKropdx9BA

Rangers manager Mark Warburton has agreed with suggestions from Celtic that Scotland's big two should seek to play in the Premier League.

Mark Warburton has added his voice to calls for Celtic and Rangers to join the Premier League.

On Wednesday, Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond expressed his belief that the two Glasgow giants will be playing in England within the next 10 years, a claim that drew some measure of endorsement from the club's Norwegian manager Ronny Deila.

And now Rangers' English boss Warburton has also suppored that view, although the man in charge at Ibrox conceded such an unprecedented shift in the landscape of British football is by no means imminent.

"I am sure sooner or later, sometime in the future, not saying the near future, I am sure that will happen," he said.

"There are a lot of hurdles to overcome before that becomes a reality. What dominates down south right now is TV money, it is obviously different down south to north of the border."

According to Warburton, the prospect of making the English Premier League more attractive to television rights bidders would be the driving force behind such a transition.

"You are always trying to keep the product fresh and how do you keep a product fresh?" he said.

"I am sure you will get to the stage sooner or later where team X versus team Y hasn't got the same appeal to the average fan in the street, whereas Manchester United versus Rangers, Celtic versus Arsenal et cetera, it is new, it is fresh, it is another level of excitement.

"I am sure any product is always looking to keep it fresh. If you ask any people down south they recognise the potential of clubs such as Celtic and Rangers. There is no doubt about that."

However, the former Brentford manager also knows numerous obstacles would need to be negotiated before the ambitious idea moves closer to reality.

"But again, there are many hurdles still to come," he said. "Where would they go? What level? How would they get in? How do you start that process?

"It would take far smarter guys than I am to work it out."

Missed a chance there.

"I don't know the history as well as some of you but I know Rangers went through a hard time recently, and to talk about going somewhere else would be a pretty disrespectful way to treat the leagues that welcomed them in when they were ejected from the SPL.'

Doesn't matter if you don't mean a word of it, it would buy you credit - while lessening celtc's - with other, vote carrying clubs.

There's no way on this earth the yahoos(with their militant Irish Republican baggage) would be allowed anywhere near the EPL.

Yeah, only until that club eradicate that element of their support will it ever happen.

I know the FA and the EPL are separate entities, but the way the FA went out of their way to try not to offend the IRA - not Ireland, not Irish people, not Irish culture but your actual IRA - when England played the Republic doesn't suggest English authorities would be that bothered by the likes of the Old Brigadier.

I'll summarise what I said in the similar thread.

Rangers and Celtic may be attractive to middle order EPL teams because we would bring big crowds but we are not attractive to those challenging for Europe because with our crowds and the TV money we would threaten their European status and we are not in the least attracitve to teams at the bottom of the EPL because we would threaten their positions altogether.

Don't forget that by UEFA standards the EPL already has too many teams, UEFA prefer a maximum of 18; so if Rangers and Celtic were admitted at least 2 and quite possibly 4 teams would have to drop out. At least half the League would be threatened by that.

Also who's to say we would be parachuted into the EPL, do we really want to spend another however many seasons climbing threw the Leagues?

It would be great to see but it's a pipe dream and like most pipe dreams it's not going to happen.