MW view on corners

Wonder if Ally read this, specially bit in bold.

He said: “We haven’t scored a goal from a header but I think only two teams have so it’s a bit of a grey area.

“There are not that many headers in the game these days. We’re not going to throw the ball into the box and try to win it because the likelihood is we won’t get first contact.

“You see teams bringing 11 men back for a corner and that’s the one that confuses me most because if they win the first contact then it is 100 per cent going to go to the opposition so why do it?

“People ask why we leave two up at a corner but it’s not rocket science. It’s what works for you. We would far rather be careful and keep the ball and our chances of scoring are far higher if we do that and create an opening.

“It was the same at Brentford last year. We had Alan Judge, Alex Pritchard and Jota – all small

guys – playing against man mountains so there was no point in throwing the ball into the box because all we would do was give away possession.

“We are not blessed with two six-foot forwards in our team so why whack a hopeful ball into the box and make the opposition centre-half look good?

“Just keep the ball. For us to throw in a hopeful ball when the right or left-back gets the ball and punts it into the box serves no purpose at all.”

So why do we insist on sending up both centre halfs for corners when we have no intention of putting the ball into the box aerially?

Surely it is best, if this is the approach, to keep your best defenders back at the half-way line, and put your best attacking players in the dangerous areas?

It is fine being so analytical about possession statistics, but there has to be an end product to possession or you end up being a busy fool. Perhaps if we concentrated more on shooting from the edge of the box (apart from in the warm-up) we might have better success for our possession, and defenders would have more than one thing to think about. At the moment when Zelalem or Oduwa get the abll at the edge of the box, the only certainty is that they are not going to shoot. That makes it much easier to defend against. I noticed at Morton that these two dont even take part in the shooty-in at the end of the warm-up, they just stood hitting lame 10 yard passes to each other. Not that I put much emphasis into the shooty-in as it looks like just a bit of fun for the players after the serious warm-up stuff and before the kick-off, but to not take part and then not to even shoot despite many opportunities to do so is looking more like a fault in their game which hopefully can be addressed during their time with us as I think both could score goals from the edge of the box, or create rebounds for the strikers.

So why do we insist on sending up both centre halfs for corners when we have no intention of putting the ball into the box aerially?

Surely it is best, if this is the approach, to keep your best defenders back at the half-way line, and put your best attacking players in the dangerous areas?

It is fine being so analytical about possession statistics, but there has to be an end product to possession or you end up being a busy fool. Perhaps if we concentrated more on shooting from the edge of the box (apart from in the warm-up) we might have better success for our possession, and defenders would have more than one thing to think about. At the moment when Zelalem or Oduwa get the abll at the edge of the box, the only certainty is that they are not going to shoot. That makes it much easier to defend against. I noticed at Morton that these two dont even take part in the shooty-in at the end of the warm-up, they just stood hitting lame 10 yard passes to each other. Not that I put much emphasis into the shooty-in as it looks like just a bit of fun for the players after the serious warm-up stuff and before the kick-off, but to not take part and then not to even shoot despite many opportunities to do so is looking more like a fault in their game which hopefully can be addressed during their time with us as I think both could score goals from the edge of the box, or create rebounds for the strikers.

To be fair it's good to have the option of putting the ball in if we need to. And we certainly should have scored from one or two direct corners so far - I remember Wilson and Waghorn both missing with relatively easy headers at home from corners.

On the other hand, I think the penalty from last week's game came from a short corner so these do work to our benefit from time to time.

We're still a work in progress so we can only hope all the small issues that are evident are addressed going forward.

Edited by Frankie