Martyn Waghorn: Rangers are NOT a stepping stone for me...

We need an out and out striker which Waghorn is not. We can either get Waggie to play off him or if it's one up tops we need a more clinical finisher.

MW tends to play 4-3-3, which means 1 up top and 2 wide players. For the system to work properly we need someone with the work rate and ability of Waghorn. It doesn't really work with a Kris Boyd type player.

I certainly don't have a problem with Waghorn moving wide right if we were to bring in a player with Waghorn's abilities but also with a better poaching instinct, but I'd doubt that there are too many (if any) out there that are in our price range.

MW tends to play 4-3-3, which means 1 up top and 2 wide players. For the system to work properly we need someone with the work rate and ability of Waghorn. It doesn't really work with a Kris Boyd type player.

I certainly don't have a problem with Waghorn moving wide right if we were to bring in a player with Waghorn's abilities but also with a better poaching instinct, but I'd doubt that there are too many (if any) out there that are in our price range.

Kris Boyd was a pretty unique player though in terms of he was a completely useless all round player but was a very good finisher. I'm not sure if there is a specific 'type' that he falls into. A penalty box striker perhaps, but most strikers have a lot more to their game than Boyd did. A lot of teams have 4-3-3's with a Drogba or Shearer type as their focal point.

Personally I'm not sure if Waghorn will be good enough to be our main striker in Europe. We're a long way from there though.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I think the type of striker who would absolutely thrive off this system would be a Kenny Miller of 5-6 years ago. Pacey, gets in behind and is a decent level.

TBH ive not seen enough of Waghorn yet to know what to expect in the top flight, but he is doing everything right at the moment. Double figures at a new club in the first 2 months of a season - you cant ask for more and Warburton will only improve him.

... that, Gribz, and his work-rate and -ethics is second to none. It would be great to get another like him up front in January.

Yeah der, for me Millers work rate goes without saying and embarrassed imposters like Boyd before him. I was a Miller fan all day long (although bottled beer Miller is rank), always turned up and scored in big games.

Waghorn is easy a level or two above your Boyds and Kyles by a country mile.

Unconfirmed speculation has seen St Johnstone’s 24-year old striker Michael O’Halloran linked with a switch to Rangers.

The former Bolton and Tranmere forward impressed hugely when the two sides met in the League Cup, and is said to have piqued manager Mark Warburton’s interest as a result of his display.

The Glasgow born finisher, who supported Celtic as a boy, made a few waves with some comments in the press before and after his side’s victory at Ibrox, making this further development slightly left-field to say the least, but then there is quite a bit of previous recently for supposed boyhood fans of one Old Firm side to then sign with the other.

Rangers are most definitely on the look-out for a striker come January, and while the former Sheffield United attacker is more recognised as a forward in the mould of our very own Martyn Waghorn, his clinical finish to seal Rangers’ fate during the sides’ meeting suggests he could, in a football sense, be a valuable addition.

He is, however, under contract, having triggered an extension taking him through to summer 2016, so St Johnstone would require a fee.

Whether his signature would be welcomed with open arms by supporters, though, given his background and public comments, is another question.

Posted by Ibroxnoise.co.uk at 15:05

Email This

BlogThis!

Share to Twitter

Share to Facebook

Share to Pinterest

http://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2015/10/rangers-linked-to-spl-striker.html

I think your being a bit unfair to Kris Boyd he never claimed to be a grafter and if waggy goes on to score as many as boydy ( no chance) I'll eat warbs magic hat...

I doubt if he would ever come close to scoring as many as Boyd. But I'm certain he will set up many goals for other players, something I can't recall Boyd ever doing Bruno.