Gordon Smith: Dear Gordon Strachan...

Right on track Henry McLeish appears on tv waffling about forming yet another committee to yet again sort out the future of Scottish football. The same rubbish has been spouted since the 70's. Our game continues to decline. To the subject at hand, Strapon failed. He should go. Who should replace him ? No idea, the SFA don't pay me hundreds of thousands of pounds to decide that.

The decline of Scottish football appears to be a result of forces beyond the SFA/SPFL's control.

Not much point in tinkering with it or asking people like McLeish for advice.

The Poland squad we were up against has players from the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Le Ligue 1. We are largely comprised of second rate championship, bottom end Premiership and a few mediocre SPL players.

Ireland have a pretty poor squad compared to what they used to have but in their last game 9 players were from the Premiership, with two from Derby who are an upper end Championship team.

In Scotland's last game we had three players from the Premiership.

Any idea how the Northern Ireland team compares?

The decline of Scottish football appears to be a result of forces beyond the SFA/SPFL's control.

Not much point in tinkering with it or asking people like McLeish for advice.

We brought in a world expert from the Netherlands. I dare say he was paid a fortune. His report never saw the light of day.

Strapon decides to stay on. The SFA reward him with a 2 year contract. I suppose that's a lot easier for them than doing what they are supposed to do and hunt down somebody who might actually be up to the job.

Absolutely correct SBS but the question leading from that is, WHY ?? Despite all the previous crisis committees and reports over the years how did it come to a situation where we field a team comprising so many second rate players ? Why is it that the stream of Scots heading south to play for , or indeed captain top flight teams has dried up ? If that can't be answered then it proves the SFA are to blame as they are the body in charge of all football played here, from schools upwards.

Yes, Scottish football is a disaster and we are getting everything wrong. Replacing the manager isn't necessarily going to improve things though, and there's a good chance it will make things worse. I've never particularly rated Strachan but who is the alternative? Ideally I would get a foreign manager in and try to implement continental ideas into the national setup at all levels, but I don't see that happening.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Yes, Scottish football is a disaster and we are getting everything wrong. Replacing the manager isn't necessarily going to improve things though, and there's a good chance it will make things worse. I've never particularly rated Strachan but who is the alternative? Ideally I would get a foreign manager in and try to implement continental ideas into the national setup at all levels, but I don't see that happening.

That requires some sort of forethought. Our idiot 'leaders' are only interested in the short-term. We're struggling to find sponsors. Surely that should be sounding huge alarm bells?