How good is this team?

While the football has in the main been a huge improvement on recent years and W&W deserve a lot of credit for their initial rebuilding of a broken squad, it is becoming clear to me the more I see them that there is no real quality in our current squad.

A look at the team that won the title back in 2009 after a 4 year wait would see this typical line-up;

McGregor Whittaker bougherra weir papac mendes Ferguson Davis Thomson Boyd novo. Other squad players included hemdani, edu, Adam, Naismith, lafferty, Miller, Beasley, dailly, jig.

Perhaps the full backs might get in, but we have still to see Tav's defensive attributes tested properly. I genuinely don't think any of our current side would get into Walter's championship winning side.

While I am comfortable with stage one of our 4 window rebuilding job, I feel just about this entire side will need replaced if we are to get towards a side capable of matching our own 3IAR side, which of course was nowhere near as good as our title winners from 99 & 00.

The only saving grace we have is that our only rivals on paper for the top tier title have been downsizing at an alarming rate since our demotion, and therefore the bar has been lowered to such a degree that we would perhaps have a chance of the title next season if we strengthen 4/5 positions and they keep their useless manager and continue their downsizing next summer, neither of which I expect them to do but I can live in hope for now!

I would be interested in the views of my fellow Gersnetters as to how they rate this current squad and where we are at, not at Championship level, but for next year, and if you think any of our current team would get into the fairly average side from 2008-09.

I think it's bit too early to compare this team with previous ones because rebuilding is not yet complete. I've said before and I'll say again a top drawer striker is required in January especially if we're to have to win the SC to get into Europe next season. One or two other positions certainly could also be improved upon I suppose.

I also think we have to remember that when we return to the top division the standard will certainly have dropped quite a bit since we left. The so-called best team in the country is now out its depth in the EL as could be seen by getting beaten home & away by a Norwegian team who were fourth in their league last time I looked. Other teams competing in Europe don't last beyond August normally.

Given the massive turnaround orchestrated by Warburton and Weir in such a short space of time I'm not over concerned (though I concede it'll be no walk in the park) at next seasons prospects as I expect the standard of personnel coming in will be of a much higher standard than those departing much like this season.

Waghorn for me would get into that side,not just for his goals(he misses his fair share).

His overall play is very impressive,he brings a hell of a lot to this present side.He will be worth a good few quid in the future.

He's not an out & out striker though. If we get a quality striker to play alongside Waghorn this team will improve considerably

Not sure about any of our current players making Walters side but some of them will be part of the squad when we win our next Premiership title once W&W strengthen with better players who'll want to sign for us in the summer due to our inevitable return to the 'top' league. It's all about the quality of the man in charge at the end of the day.

I remember when Hamilton Accies after promotion went up there in 2013/14 under Alex Neil he took them to first place at one point they did drop to 3rd I think before Norwich City swooped for him.

Now we must agree Hearts boss Robbie Neilson is an up and coming manager, he too has taken his club up out of the championship and up to first position in the premiership and now sit 2nd behind C*eltic at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he finishes the season in that position that's if an EPL club don't come calling.

Mark Warburton will follow Neil and Neilson in taking his club up from the championship to the premiership and into first place...the only difference I think will be the resources we have and the fact that Warb's will sign better players than Hamilton and Hearts supporters can only dream about will mean we can finish first and seal 55.

I think the spine of the team needs to be of a far better quality to make a serious challenge should we be promoted this season. I also believe W&W will be aware of this also. This team has been put together in a very short time and has probably achieved more than any of us could expect,even W&W are probably surprised as well.

I have trust and faith in the management team to produce a team capable of challenging for the title next season.

I appreciate the concerns the OP raises and see the point made but the one thing I would say is that a couple of our main stars will get even better. While tav, waghorn, Halliday and holt may not walk into the 09 starting XI today, they certainly would do soon. Plus, with better players in certain positions (the spine as many have already pointed out) I'm sure the whole team would improve even more