Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

Back to Rangers matters ...

Rangers miss out on Queen's Park kid Lee Connelly as 15-year-old gets set for move to Sunderland

BLACK CATS win race for highly-rated Scotland Under-16 international after impressing during trial spell with the English Premier League side.

RANGERS are set to miss out on Scots superkid Lee Connelly as the youngster prepares to seal a deal with Premier League strugglers Sunderland .

The 15-year-old Queen’s Park midfielder is set to line up for the Black Cats Under-18s side that is taking on Manchester United at Carrington this morning.

Connelly has been training all week with Sunderland and an impressive display is likely to lead to the offer of a full-time contract at the Stadium of Light.

Connelly, a Scotland Under-16 internationalist, has been tracked by a host of Scottish clubs this season but Rangers have shown the greatest interest. If Connelly does sign for Sunderland it will also disappoint the manager of Burnley.

Sean Dyche’s English Championship side have been tracking his progress since the young Scots star won admirers during a week-long training stint last month at Turf Moor.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-miss-out-queens-park-7189020

Have we "missed out" on him, or are we "set to miss out "on him, DR? Wonder if we knew about our interest.

Diagouraga to to complete move to Ibrox this weekend

Rangers’ defensive midfield target Toumani Diagouraga is to fly to Murray Park this weekend to finalise his move to Rangers, according to Talksport’s Ian Abrahams.

The 28-year old Frenchman has been subject to significant speculation over his future, and starred in tonight’s disappointing loss for Brentford at home to Joey Barton’s Barnsley.

According to Abrahams, or ‘The Moose’:

“I understand @BrentfordFC midfielder Toumani Diagouraga will fly to Scotland this weekend and complete a move to @RangersFC.”

http://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2016/01/diagouraga-to-to-complete-move-to-ibrox.html

... whoever those Moose is that IbroxNoise is citing.

St Johnstone squad tease Michael O’Halloran over Rangers link

Brian Easton admits St Johnstone’s players have been winding-up Michael O’Halloran after learning the club had rejected two approaches from Rangers for their striker.

The Perth defender shares a car to training with the former Scotland under-21 striker, who has been targeted by Ibrox manager Mark Warburton as a transfer window signing.

Saints manager Tommy Wright is adamant that O’Halloran will face Hamilton Accies on Saturday after rebuffing approaches from the Glasgow club.

Easton recalled being at the centre of speculation himself before leaving Hamilton for Burnley earlier in his career.

He said: “Sometimes the speculation can be a distraction but I don’t think the transfer talk will cause problems for Mikey, especially in this changing room where there are players who have been about and experienced it for themselves. We know how to handle it.

“There has been a bit of stick flying around, especially in the car up to training. We have been asking him if he wants a lift to Murray Park.

“Having a laugh about it probably relaxes Mikey. It’s good for any player in that situation. But really it is all flattering and should be great for his confidence.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/st-johnstone-squad-tease-michael-o-halloran-over-rangers-link-1-4002548

After some not-so-raving reports from Brentford vs Burnley, here are the goals. Nice stuff from ex-Bairn Scott Arfield and Joey Barton ...

EDIT (from FF):

One gentleman will be in Glasgow today and the other will complete the signing once St Johnstone have played their game.
Edited by der Berliner

been saying it for weeks, the signings and targets are not good enough for now or the near future. Hope falkirk take something from hivs giving us a little breathing room

There are obvious financial constraints that we have to work within, nor forgetting that we are in the second tier of Scottish football.

Give the football operation (especially the link between chief scout, first team mgmt and further coaching) a chance to show that it can find value, the right type of player who 'fits' and can improve them.

There are obvious financial constraints that we have to work within, nor forgetting that we are in the second tier of Scottish football.

Give the football operation (especially the link between chief scout, first team mgmt and further coaching) a chance to show that it can find value, the right type of player who 'fits' and can improve them.

The financial constraints that will see us spend near on £2m in two transfer windows? The money excuse is now redundant.

We can see the players already.

Ohalleron - will most likely go out on the right bringing Waghorn into the middle. He's not better than Waghorn on the right or for that matter through the middle. Hes not a finisher but will probably put to an end any hope of bringing in a finisher to play through the middle.

Forrestor- for me not good enough to get in the starting 11 this season never mind next.

Diagouraga- is slow, cumbersome and cant tackle- not really what we will need in dm next season in my opinion- at 28 unlikely to recoup the money spent on him

Windass- most likely amc or cf- for me not better than law or zelalem. also not better than waghorn.

crooks is a decent dm. I would play him before diagourama and see how he goes.

The big keeper I would start before Wes.

Would far rather see thompson get a game ahead of windass or diagourama with the pack shuffled in the middle to suit.

Same as yourself been watching Scottish football for 30 odd years, I don't need any longer to decide what it will take to win it. It will take a better standard of player than what we are acquiring right now.

IMHO, it is still hard to judge how a player who plays for Brentford or St. Johnstone right now (i.e. totally different teams in a different surrounding) will perform in a new team / setup and a different league. On can sure draw from one's own previous experience, but if one is true to himself, one tends to get it wrong as often as one gets it right.

MW has trialled his way of playing and the current squad for half a season now, seen the opposition (probably not solely in the Scottish Championhsip) and how they tend to play. Every signing now is adjustments to the current team and increasing its standard. We can obviously dream of Europe and hazardous trips to the Scumhut et al, but at this moment and time, MW and Co. plugs the gaps and improves what is required in the here and now. Crooks, Windass, Thompson, even McKay and Holt are players for the mid- to long-term future. We'll see how Forrester fits in during his coming 6 months, what role a Walsh might still play. For the time being, the order of the day is achieving promotion, probably (and in hushed tones) "no matter what". We don't throw money about, thus keep enough budget for the summer, when the real business is upon us again.

With regard to O'Halloran, he's a quick, versatile front-line player. Exactly what we need when we caught teams on the break, someone to complement McKay and Waghorn. Whether he'll become a prolific scorer with us is anyone's guess. But that is the case with any attacking player coming to us, isn't it?

Edited by der Berliner

The financial constraints that will see us spend near on £2m in two transfer windows? The money excuse is now redundant.

We can see the players already.

Ohalleron - will most likely go out on the right bringing Waghorn into the middle. He's not better than Waghorn on the right or for that matter through the middle. Hes not a finisher but will probably put to an end any hope of bringing in a finisher to play through the middle.

Forrestor- for me not good enough to get in the starting 11 this season never mind next.

Diagouraga- is slow, cumbersome and cant tackle- not really what we will need in dm next season in my opinion- at 28 unlikely to recoup the money spent on him

Windass- most likely amc or cf- for me not better than law or zelalem. also not better than waghorn.

crooks is a decent dm. I would play him before diagourama and see how he goes.

The big keeper I would start before Wes.

Would far rather see thompson get a game ahead of windass or diagourama with the pack shuffled in the middle to suit.

Same as yourself been watching Scottish football for 30 odd years, I don't need any longer to decide what it will take to win it. It will take a better standard of player than what we are acquiring right now.

Our financial clout in the transfer market is and will be for some time WAY BEHIND that of Celtic.

So regards winning the title......."excuses" or "reallity" is that looking at it from a numbers POV, we won't be winning the title next season.

At the moment it'd be best to forget about Celtic and winning the title because they are unreasonable expectations and will only put uneeded pressure onto a football operation that is trying to develop and needs time. That is also hampered by financial constraints that in turn stem from extraordinary circumstances.

Obviously the club won't be allowed to forget expectation levels, even if unreasonable.

The club has to manage this situation but after our fantastic start to the season, DK started to talk too much and only fueled unreasonable expectation and put extra pressure on the football management.

MW&Co need time to develop the football operation and get better value for every pound spent than we ever have done in the past.

If we want to become both successful and viable it's the only type of philosophy that is going to work for a prolonged period.

Given the stage we are at we need to embed this philosophy and when MW eventually leaves then the infrastructure is in place.

An obvious danger to this is unreasonable expectation levels / timescale. We have to accept that the days of throwing money at problems and if it doesn't fix it then throw more money at it are gone.

That aside we can all argue the toss about individual players.

An important aspect to the football operation is a good success rate with signings and thus far it has been good. We now have McParland on board and we'll see how things go.

Edited by buster.

Our financial clout in the transfer market is and will be for some time WAY BEHIND that of Celtic.

So regards winning the title......."excuses" or "reallity" is that looking at it from a numbers POV, we won't be winning the title next season.

At the moment it'd be best to forget about Celtic and winning the title because they are unreasonable expectations and will only put uneeded pressure onto a football operation that is trying to develop and needs time. That is also hampered by financial constraints that in turn stem from extraordinary circumstances.

Obviously the club won't be allowed to forget expectation levels, even if unreasonable.

The club has to manage this situation but after our fantastic start to the season, DK started to talk too much and only fueled unreasonable expectation and put extra pressure on the football management.

MW&Co need time to develop the football operation and get better value for every pound spent than we ever have done in the past.

If we want to become both successful and viable it's the only type of philosophy that is going to work for a prolonged period.

Given the stage we are at we need to embed this philosophy and when MW eventually leaves then the infrastructure is in place.

An obvious danger to this is unreasonable expectation levels / timescale. We have to accept that the days of throwing money at problems and if it doesn't fix it then throw more money at it are gone.

That aside we can all argue the toss about individual players.

An important aspect to the football operation is a good success rate with signings and thus far it has been good. We now have McParland on board and we'll see how things go.

This nonsense about throwing money at it needs to stop, Nobody is asking for that. We are spending near on £2m on dross. We don't need to spend more ,we need to source players who can cope with the demands that will be placed upon them. I agree wholeheartedly we need value for every penny spent. I don't think there is value in these signings. Will we receive more than £500k for o halleron? Will we make money on diagouraga? Its a no for me. Will they help bring the league success that will equate too value? I doubt it very much

With our budget second place is a must next year no excuses. That will open the door to a split in european money which again brings us closer to the income they bring in. Our wages as they are should massively be lower than theirs. Its easier to start from a fresh as we have than to cut your cloth as they need to do.

Value does not equal cheap. There is no value in players that are deemed not good enough. If these players come in and get abuse from fans for not performing then we are not going to sell them on at a profit.

The only way value is achieved is if the players are a success on the park and the interest that creates from other clubs enlarges their transfer fee.

To be a success on the park at Rangers you need to be winning. If we have one or two players who are standing out from the rest and we sell them while losing the league fans will go mental. That is the reality. No other reality should be planned for. Mark Warburton needs to build a squad with our resources, what ever those resources are, that hit our goals. Those goals are clear.

1st year. Automatic promotion

2nd year. 2nd place in premier with euro qualification secured to bring in money that can be spent on better players

3. a serious title shot.

That's before we even bring in the "tainted 9 in a row" pressure that will build. That's the reality.

I think O'Halloran is exactly the type we need. Yes, he's not a goal-scorer, but his running is impressive and his versatility is excellent. Waghorn was never a goal-scorer, but has 25 goals this year already. O'Halloran has contributed 11 goals and assists in 19 games this season; a good return.

I do hope we are not expecting a 2nd place finish next year. Yes, our budget is higher than most, but that's not indicative of ability, and it certainly doesn't guarantee success. It's also disrespectful to Hearts and Aberdeen. I would hope to be challenging these teams, but would settle for a top 3/4/5 tbh.

I'm a little disappointed at the way we are writing off players without having seen them play; or seen them for 1 game in the case of Forrester and Diagouraga. Give them time. They obviously have certain qualities that'll fit with our philosophy, and while it doesn't guarantee they'll be a success, it does guarantee they have something to contribute. Again, give them time, and trust in the Manager. Warburton's record -- with Brentford -- would suggest he knows what he's doing.

What a fickle bunch we are.

I think O'Halloran is exactly the type we need. Yes, he's not a goal-scorer, but his running is impressive and his versatility is excellent. Waghorn was never a goal-scorer, but has 25 goals this year already. O'Halloran has contributed 11 goals and assists in 19 games this season; a good return.

I do hope we are not expecting a 2nd place finish next year. Yes, our budget is higher than most, but that's not indicative of ability, and it certainly doesn't guarantee success. It's also disrespectful to Hearts and Aberdeen. I would hope to be challenging these teams, but would settle for a top 3/4/5 tbh.

I'm a little disappointed at the way we are writing off players without having seen them play; or seen them for 1 game in the case of Forrester and Diagouraga. Give them time. They obviously have certain qualities that'll fit with our philosophy, and while it doesn't guarantee they'll be a success, it does guarantee they have something to contribute. Again, give them time, and trust in the Manager. Warburton's record -- with Brentford -- would suggest he knows what he's doing.

What a fickle bunch we are.

2 goals and 9 assists in 19 games

hearts are sitting third with a fraction of our budget don't see why we should aim lower than that.

not seen much of forrestor but watched diagouraga a few times.

Edited by trublusince1982

2 goals and 9 assists in 19 games

hearts are sitting third with a fraction of our budget don't see why we should aim lower than that.

not seen much of forrestor but watched diagouraga a few times.

Sorry, I did mean 2 goals and 9 assists; which means he's contributed 11 goals. That's a good return IMO. He'd be a good addition. However, I do agree we need a natural 'goal-scorer'.

I would certainly hope to be competing with Hearts etc., but they've had a year to get used to the league, so I don't see why we'd be a shoe-in to out-perform them; likewise Aberdeen. Like I said, I would like to compete with them, but I'm not 'expecting' to finish above them. Top 4/5 would still get European football, would it not?