Eustace not coming. Zelalem to extend his deal

Here's a thought, if Warbs had been appointed our manager a the start of last season, i think we would be back in the top league. Not only that but some of the players we binned would still be playing for us and we would be challenging the Dhims. Warbs does seem to get the best out of players, when they fail to perform, it's not for lack of motivation, it's a lack of ability or experience imo. The players we have kept from last season have upped their game and improved, apart from the injury prone player.

Let's hope his replacement can get the number of goals the much-maligned Law got last season.

We might need it too. We've only got one forward who will get a decent amount of goals as things currently stand

I have no fears for the future Rev as I keep saying it's only the beginning bro, but rangers fans want success yesterday and you and I are no different..

We will agree to disagree BH.

So, yes, probably best you and I just agree to disagree.

Agreed especially on the respective positions of Vuckic and Law. I think most would also agree that Law is at his best in a more advanced role.

But also agree that Walsh is certainly worth a turn and if CMF is his preferred position and if the Manager is about giving youth a chance as we keep getting told then I would rather he gave OUR youth a chance than helping out Arsenal and Spurs. There is also young Jordan Thomson and the boy Roberts on the left wing sorry LMF both of whom have looked good in the short clips I have seen.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Jordan Thomson

Agreed especially on the respective positions of Vuckic and Law. I think most would also agree that Law is at his best in a more advanced role.

But also agree that Walsh is certainly worth a turn and if CMF is his preferred position and if the Manager is about giving youth a chance as we keep getting told then I would rather he gave OUR youth a chance than helping out Arsenal and Spurs. There is also young Jason Thomson and the boy Roberts on the left wing sorry LMF both of whom have looked good in the short clips I have seen.

Young Walsh is a right midfielder but some genius stuck him on the wing. I've watched Jordan Thompson playing for the reserves and he always involved in the game and young Roberts is so fast these youngsters will never let us down..

But also agree that Walsh is certainly worth a turn and if CMF is his preferred position and if the Manager is about giving youth a chance as we keep getting told then I would rather he gave OUR youth a chance than helping out Arsenal and Spurs. There is also young Jason Thomson and the boy Roberts on the left wing sorry LMF both of whom have looked good in the short clips I have seen.

You mean Jordan Thompson ? Surely only a matter of time before he gets a chance. When at MP last month I was told how we ended up getting him..... his mother actually called the Club asking if the Club would consider taking him on trial given he had been released by Man Utd. The Club called Brian McLair and asked if it was worth bringing him in for a trial and McLair apparently said "nope, don't bring him in on trial - just sign him. You wont regret it". The Club still looked extensively at footage of the boy and still brought him in - but I am told they are very impressed with the lad. You don't get to be the Man Utd U18 captain without having certain qualities.

I like Zelalem, I have already admitted that. But I am by no means averse to giving someone else a shot. If we are lacking creativity and that is what Zelalem is being expected to do then he isn't doing his job. Which is why I suspect that Warburton isn't expecting him to be the creative one of the midfield 3, otherwise he would probably have been dropped by now because his stats show no goals and few assists. I think Warburton sees him as the player to retain and recycle possession. Which is fair enough. But we then need to find the creativity behind the strikers.

Playing 4-3-3 looks like an attacking formation - but it isn't that attacking if the two players either side of the striker are playing like wingers (therefore too far away from the main striker) and even moreso if your striker isn't someone that scores a lot of headers, as they would normally be putting the ball in the box.

I wouldn't mind seeing us go with a 4-1-3-2 formation even. Have Zelalem as the pivot at the base of the midfield, allow Halliday to play further forward alongside Holt and McKay, and have Waghorn up front with Hardie. Something like :

:wf:

:jt::db::rk::dw:

:gz:

:jh::ah::bm:

:mw::rh:

This formation allows Zelalem to be the one to take the ball from the back 4 and get it moving. He would be more than adequate doing so. Not necessarily a holding midfielder, but playing slightly deeper than the midfield would normally play. This also allows the midfield 3 (Holt, Halliday and McKay) to play further up the pitch (slightly higher up the pitch than a normal midfield would play in a 4-4-2), and it also gives Waghorn a true partner up front.

When at Ibrox for the Queens game when we won with the late goal (you see Mack.... when back home I do actually attend games.....) it was evident to me that the wide players really were playing wide which left Waghorn effectively as a lone striker. They either need to be playing narrower to support him or he needs a partner to help him.

I think we would be more creative with the above formation with 3 players in midfield who have an eye for a pass.... in Holt's case a very deft eye for making a run beyond his strikers at the right time, in McKay's case someone who can be direct and take on players and in Halliday's case someone who can make an incisive through ball.

Having Hardie up beside Waghorn would give Waghorn support but would also give those 3 midfielders something more to aim at.

Worth a try at least ????

Young Walsh is a right midfielder but some genius stuck him on the wing. I've watched Jordan Thompson playing for the reserves and he always involved in the game and young Roberts is so fast these youngsters will never let us down..

Reliably informed from inside the club that Walsh's preferred position is as a central midfielder, attacking.

Playing 4-3-3 looks like an attacking formation - but it isn't that attacking if the two players either side of the striker are playing like wingers (therefore too far away from the main striker) and even moreso if your striker isn't someone that scores a lot of headers, as they would normally be putting the ball in the box.

One drawback of the system is the time it takes for support to arrive for Waghorn. Many times we're effectively playing 2-5-2-1 and often the "wingers" drop back a bit when the full backs bomb forward which at times leaves Waghorn even more isolated.

You mean Jordan Thompson ? Surely only a matter of time before he gets a chance. When at MP last month I was told how we ended up getting him..... his mother actually called the Club asking if the Club would consider taking him on trial given he had been released by Man Utd. The Club called Brian McLair and asked if it was worth bringing him in for a trial and McLair apparently said "nope, don't bring him in on trial - just sign him. You wont regret it". The Club still looked extensively at footage of the boy and still brought him in - but I am told they are very impressed with the lad. You don't get to be the Man Utd U18 captain without having certain qualities.

I like Zelalem, I have already admitted that. But I am by no means averse to giving someone else a shot. If we are lacking creativity and that is what Zelalem is being expected to do then he isn't doing his job. Which is why I suspect that Warburton isn't expecting him to be the creative one of the midfield 3, otherwise he would probably have been dropped by now because his stats show no goals and few assists. I think Warburton sees him as the player to retain and recycle possession. Which is fair enough. But we then need to find the creativity behind the strikers.

I wouldn't mind seeing us go with a 4-1-3-2 formation even. Have Zelalem as the pivot at the base of the midfield, allow Halliday to play further forward alongside Holt and McKay, and have Waghorn up front with Hardie. Something like :

:wf:

:jt::db::rk::dw:

:gz:

:jh::ah::bm:

:mw::rh:

This formation allows Zelalem to be the one to take the ball from the back 4 and get it moving. He would be more than adequate doing so. Not necessarily a holding midfielder, but playing slightly deeper than the midfield would normally play. This also allows the midfield 3 (Holt, Halliday and McKay) to play further up the pitch (slightly higher up the pitch than a normal midfield would play in a 4-4-2), and it also gives Waghorn a true partner up front.

When at Ibrox for the Queens game when we won with the late goal (you see Mack.... when back home I do actually attend games.....) it was evident to me that the wide players really were playing wide which left Waghorn effectively as a lone striker. They either need to be playing narrower to support him or he needs a partner to help him.

I think we would be more creative with the above formation with 3 players in midfield who have an eye for a pass.... in Holt's case a very deft eye for making a run beyond his strikers at the right time, in McKay's case someone who can be direct and take on players and in Halliday's case someone who can make an incisive through ball.

Having Hardie up beside Waghorn would give Waghorn support but would also give those 3 midfielders something more to aim at.

Worth a try at least ????

Im putting your name forward for the magic hats no3 Craig....

I'm not sure Law is the answer. I'd expect him to play in rotation. Has he been injured lately or just out of favour?

I think part of our problem is that we can be quite predictable. If opponents can predict what we are doing then they will stand a much better chance of defending against us. One of the really frustrating things about our recent decline in form is the predictability. Another is that when the team does do something unexpected of creative it often ends in a miscue. We also often ignore chances to break quickly in favour of keeping possession. As others have pointed out this just lets the opposition get back and get organised. So I'm not really looking for a steady tempo.

Finally, wading into the real controversy, watching it from the stands is different. You do see different things. It's not all one way though. I don't always bother watching the highlights so sometimes remain ignorant of details that are repeated on television.