Warburton interview after game

got to say disagree with him. The effort is not there the whole game neither is the determination. We play for spells of ten, twenty minutes at most each game usually once our opponents have tired. Time we focused on winning games by more than just better fitness levels. Each week we do the same things and expect different results. At the start of the season you could see all our efforts were put into scoring with wave after wave of attack going forward at all costs, now it seems to be possession is our main goal .

None of our weaknesses seem to be worked on in any great way. Forwards continue to fail at retaining possession and moving us forward. every time its passed back to where it came from, wingers rarely take on players, we run at full backs then turn back unless there is an overlap which is only usually done down the left. Got to go past defenders and force them to make challenges. Tavernier has to work on crossing, the midfield need to take the pass forward then get beyond the forward not pass to his feet then take it back without gaining any ground. We need to be braver in attack and stop worrying about losing possession so much. Time clark ,shiels and miller were replaced with players with pace. Poor performers are not dropped, time to make changes and work on our weaknesses

Our passing seems to have one goal and that's to retain possession, it should be to score. Go forward and push defences when advancing not retreating every time we meet an opponent. Basically go back to the priorities and focus we had at the start of the season

got to say disagree with him. The effort is not there the whole game neither is the determination. We play for spells of ten, twenty minutes at most each game usually once our opponents have tired. Time we focused on winning games by more than just better fitness levels. Each week we do the same things and expect different results. At the start of the season you could see all our efforts were put into scoring with wave after wave of attack going forward at all costs, now it seems to be possession is our main goal .

None of our weaknesses seem to be worked on in any great way. Forwards continue to fail at retaining possession and moving us forward. every time its passed back to where it came from, wingers rarely take on players, we run at full backs then turn back unless there is an overlap which is only usually done down the left. Got to go past defenders and force them to make challenges. Tavernier has to work on crossing, the midfield need to take the pass forward then get beyond the forward not pass to his feet then take it back without gaining any ground. We need to be braver in attack and stop worrying about losing possession so much. Time clark ,shiels and miller were replaced with players with pace. Poor performers are not dropped, time to make changes and work on our weaknesses

Our passing seems to have one goal and that's to retain possession, it should be to score. Go forward and push defences when advancing not retreating every time we meet an opponent. Basically go back to the priorities and focus we had at the start of the season

You're assuming our focus has changed, which I would disagree with; I think the opposition are more aware and organised against our way of playing. We could certainly be a little more direct and more intense, but I think we're doing the right things -- we created 22 shots at goal yesterday, of which only 6 were on target: that is an issue.

I am quite pleased our focus is to retain possession -- I hate end-to-end games, as invariably it means someone has lost control -- but, of course, we need that intensity and change of pace in the final third to get that goal: possession for the sake of it is pointless.

My worry with that interview is not with what he says but that he presents it all as though it is a one-off and the first time he has had to say it, It isn't and that makes the point about "we'll learn and improve..." hard to take at face value as he's said that before and we have not. Or, rather, we have for a game or two and then slipped back. Two wins in five league games is a worrying stat that self-evidently does not come down to a one-off 'bad day at the office'. Even after two slip ups we could and should have been going into the upcoming Falkirk and Hibs games with a nice cushion. Now you feel that we have to win them - which would certainly make the table look a helluva lot rosier!

Edited by SteveC

You want Rangers to become a modern football club in the way it approaches and plays the game or you prefer a more direct approach. You either buy into what MW is trying to do or not,....... MW Lite isn't going to happen. Do we want more of the past and for Rangers and Scottish football to remain in 'The Land that Time Forgot'.

It's year one

We are top, have scored 46 goals, played some brilliant football and had some frustrating afternoons, all teams do (at the extreme high end of similar style of play, yesterday you had Barcelona with a Home Desmond)

Backroom staff are being put in place, more quality will arrive for top tier (getting to top tier is the one MUST Do for this season).

Let's see where we are after the games against Falkirk and Hibs, as the window opens.

You're assuming our focus has changed, which I would disagree with; I think the opposition are more aware and organised against our way of playing. We could certainly be a little more direct and more intense, but I think we're doing the right things -- we created 22 shots at goal yesterday, of which only 6 were on target: that is an issue.

I am quite pleased our focus is to retain possession -- I hate end-to-end games, as invariably it means someone has lost control -- but, of course, we need that intensity and change of pace in the final third to get that goal: possession for the sake of it is pointless.

Its more an observation than assumption but understand what you mean. Out the six shots yesterday I wouldn't say any of them were good chances. Holding possession against semi professional teams and low poor professional teams means nothing in my opinion. That should be a given. We seem to fight hard when we lose possession but then once in possession we go into neutral. Pace slows, movement narrows with those in possession rarely going beyond any pass they make with the exception of Wallace. Most of our shots come from out wide or a mile over the bar from further out. The times we do push forward into the box we usually score, for me that should be where our intensity and determination should be focused. Instead to me it looks more like we want to keep as much possession as possible while in the first half moving the ball across the middle back and forth until we get late on in the second half when we expect the opposition to tire, then we push forward and start hitting more diagonal balls and crosses. Works well against the semi pro teams but is leaving us desperate for goals against the slightly more professional.

The better teams in the top league will sit deep and let us play across the middle all day then hit us on the break with ease in my opinion. When they move out towards our players in possession we should be looking to go by him or pass round him instead we turn back or inside and play horizontal. Its boring and easy to defend. Have not seen us make one change to the starting line up to effect this or bring in pace or players willing to run with the ball from midfield. Even the likes of Mckay turns back or inside the second a defender moves towards him.Instead he sticks with the same possession players

Its more an observation than assumption but understand what you mean. Out the six shots yesterday I wouldn't say any of them were good chances. Holding possession against semi professional teams and low poor professional teams means nothing in my opinion. That should be a given. We seem to fight hard when we lose possession but then once in possession we go into neutral. Pace slows, movement narrows with those in possession rarely going beyond any pass they make with the exception of Wallace. Most of our shots come from out wide or a mile over the bar from further out. The times we do push forward into the box we usually score, for me that should be where our intensity and determination should be focused. Instead to me it looks more like we want to keep as much possession as possible while in the first half moving the ball across the middle back and forth until we get late on in the second half when we expect the opposition to tire, then we push forward and start hitting more diagonal balls and crosses. Works well against the semi pro teams but is leaving us desperate for goals against the slightly more professional.

The better teams in the top league will sit deep and let us play across the middle all day then hit us on the break with ease in my opinion. When they move out towards our players in possession we should be looking to go by him or pass round him instead we turn back or inside and play horizontal. Its boring and easy to defend. Have not seen us make one change to the starting line up to effect this or bring in pace or players willing to run with the ball from midfield. Even the likes of Mckay turns back or inside the second a defender moves towards him.Instead he sticks with the same possession players

McKay also takes some moves too far. A few times yesterday he had the chance to shoot and passed it square to a player with no shooting chance. He needs to try and have a crack at goal more often instead of walking the ball into the net.

What did you think of the quality of the chances? How many were really threatening apart from the goals?

You want Rangers to become a modern football club in the way it approaches and plays the game or you prefer a more direct approach. You either buy into what MW is trying to do or not,....... MW Lite isn't going to happen. Do we want more of the past and for Rangers and Scottish football to remain in 'The Land that Time Forgot'.

It's year one

We are top, have scored 46 goals, played some brilliant football and had some frustrating afternoons, all teams do (at the extreme high end of similar style of play, yesterday you had Barcelona with a Home Desmond)

Backroom staff are being put in place, more quality will arrive for top tier (getting to top tier is the one MUST Do for this season).

Let's see where we are after the games against Falkirk and Hibs, as the window opens.

going forward has nothing to do with punting the ball. Barca play possession football but with the emphasis on attack. When they move forward they pass and move in front of the ball, not side to side and back again. That is the modern way. The way we are playing is like the Italian teams of old who hold it along the back line, only difference being we do it at the halfway line.