We have the best side, the best manager and the best training ground...

...now we must make it count says Rangers skipper Lee Wallace.

LEE WALLACE reckons life at Rangers is simply the best. Now he has urged his Light Blues team-mates to make the most of the opportunity they have at Ibrox.

Mark Warburton’s side head into their key double-header with Falkirk and Hibernian in the next fortnight aiming to take significant steps towards a Premiership return.

When Rangers stormed out of the traps in the opening weeks of the campaign, it looked like it would be a matter of when, not if, they would be crowned champions this term.

Their advantage has been cut to just three points in recent times, though, the defeat to Hibs and draws with Livingston and Morton rare stumbles from Warburton’s side.

Many of their opponents – including Ton striker Denny Johnstone in the aftermath of Saturday’s 2-2 stalemate at Ibrox – have claimed teams now know how to line-up against Rangers to halt them in their tracks.

But skipper Wallace is confident Rangers can prove they are still the top side in the second tier as they gear up for two huge festive fixtures.

He said: “I wouldn’t say it is criticism. They’re just giving an honest assessment of the game and it is fair comment.

“You’ve got to praise Jim Duffy and his side for the way they played and how hard they worked.

“They had five or six players going down with cramp due to the effort they put in closing us down, denying us space on the pitch and hitting us on the counter-attack and that worked for them.

“We’re not so good that we can’t give credit to the opposition and we’ve done that when it’s been appropriate this season.

“At Rangers we’re always full of respect for our opponents even if we don’t always get that back in return.

“We’re not going to cry about it because we know we are the best side and that we have the best manager and the best training ground in Murray Park.

“It’s up to us, as players, to go out and maximise those advantages on a Saturday.”

Rangers have found the going tougher in recent weeks as teams have set out to stifle their forward intentions and looked to exploit their attacking blue print on the break.

Ton star Johnstone claimed Jim Duffy’s side knew Rangers weren’t the same prospect as when the teams met earlier in the campaign and were not as clinical in front of goal.

But Wallace is confident the Gers can rediscover their free-flowing form sooner rather than later.

He said: “We’re aware of the comments made by certain opposition players we’ve faced in recent weeks but it’s just about us trying to better ourselves.

“Equally, we’re aware of the facts that we can’t be dropping points at home to teams like Morton.

“But what this evolving squad and our manager – who is new to the league – are finding out is that whenever a team faces us, whether it’s home or away, it’s their cup final.

“Maybe the newer lads have had to get to grips with that but we accept it and we need to make sure that we’re the best Rangers we can be. That will, hopefully, be the case at Falkirk on Saturday.

“I wouldn’t say that this is our first real test. There have been different instances with a young team and, even when we were flying and winning games by five or six goals, we kept our feet on the ground.

“That was the mind-set the manager instilled in us and it’s still the same. We’re in a period where we’re maybe not quite as fluid and performances have dipped a wee bit but, in no way, shape or form, is there any panic in the ranks over our results.

“We’re working harder than ever to try and get our swagger back.”

A lack of cutting edge in the final third cost Rangers dear on Saturday as they struggled to find their rhythm and break down a resolute Ton defensive unit.

It took a late leveller from Martin Waghorn to clinch a point after Kenny Miller’s header had been cancelled out by a James Tavernier own goal and a Stefan McCluskey strike.

Even Hibs’ draw at home to Falkirk wasn’t enough to dispel the disappointment at Ibrox but Wallace insists Rangers should still be satisfied with their current situation.

He said: “We need to guard against counter attacks or teams looking to score from a set piece. We’re not interested in the criticism.

“We’re aware of it, we analyse it and look to be better ourselves and get on with how good we can be and try to beat these teams.

“When I first moved to Rangers it was the same and that teams would come to Ibrox with that kind of game plan.

“Teams are showing us more respect compared to last season and that’s probably because of how well we’ve started.

“We train hard and analyse games and talk in meetings about how we can be better and that’s the focus.

“I said with the turnover in players that the transition happened a lot quicker than many would have imagined with how well we started.

“There is no doubt that we’d have taken being in top spot at this stage of the season and we’re in good shape.

“We’re training hard and we’re aware dropping two points at the weekend wasn’t good enough.

“We were way below our standards against Morton but as the manager said there’s no doom or gloom.

“We realise we’ve come a long way in a short space and there’s much, much more to come.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14144981.We_have_the_best_side__the_best_manager_and_the_best_training_ground__now_we_must_make_it_count_says_Rangers_skipper_Lee_Wallace/

We had a great start to the season, then it went a tiny bit flat, but i am confident we'll have a strong finish.

We will only have a strong finish if we get 2 or 3 quality players next month. We are still well short in 2 or 3 positions, most noticeably up front

We will only have a strong finish if we get 2 or 3 quality players next month. We are still well short in 2 or 3 positions, most noticeably up front

With all due respect,....IMO you typify a certain group within the support.

Politically niave and with unreasonable expectations that have more reference to our past than our present.

Although the latter has been encouraged by some of what has come from the club.

I wrote the following in reply to someone on FF, that I think touches on some of the issues behind my remarks to Rab (not abuse, more calling a spade a spade/IMO).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. For various reasons there isn't the money to go on a semi-lavish recruiting drive in January, period.

2. Last springtime, the board had a vision of how they saw the football opertion developing and appointed MW&Co to take charge of it. This won't happen overnight but we need firm foundations and a system not just to bring through players but to make our club viable.

3. It isn't about throwing money that you haven't got at the transfer window, it's about getting the right players and developing them. This is where we are at present and past rhetoric about League titles next season, overspend and X amount of players belong more to a past era than to today.

4. When looking at the situation as a whole you have to take into consideration the football side, the political side, the financial side, the support and the overlap between them. For example, the political side is currently impacting the financial which in turn is felt by the football, from which the fans react.

5. Within this dynamic (Political Headline Overview is MASH/SD are at corporate war with Rangers) I think it important that the support back the club. However, the club have some difficulty in communicating with fans on this due to gagging orders/live court cases and in this vacum there are efforts made on behalf of MASH to spread misinformation.

6. Communication is vital. Unrealistic expectations and timescales haven't helped and should be replaced by straightforward realism that focuses on building a productive football operation for the medium to long term. IMO Paul Murray or Stewart Robertson may be better to communicate this whilst DK may be more effective in the background in efforts to bring SDI legally and financially to account.

7. We aren't out of the woods financially, nor has the war been won although regime change was hugely important and until this particular 'war' is over there will most likely be varying degrees of turbulence.

8. We need the fans to get behind the club during what amounts to 'corporate wartime', not to do what Mr.MASH would like to see us do. At the sametime, on the field, we have reasons to be cheerful and have to realise at present it's building blocks and patience rather than millions (that we don't have) thrown at players.

9. Perhaps Mr.MASH is being aggressive because they would probably like DK and the club to drop plans and efforts to bring SDI, legally and financially to account. This strategy may or may not run parralell to current criminal proceedings and the fall out from them. Whatever happens is going to take time.

Politically niave and with unreasonable expectations that have more reference to our past than our present.

I wrote the following in reply to someone on FF, that I think touches on some of the issues behind my remarks to Rab (not abuse, more calling a spade a spade/IMO).

1. For various reasons there isn't the money to go on a semi-lavish recruiting drive in January, period.

2. Last springtime, the board had a vision of how they saw the football opertion developing and appointed MW&Co to take charge of it. This won't happen overnight but we need firm foundations and a system not just to bring through players but to make our club viable.

3. It isn't about throwing money that you haven't got at the transfer window, it's about getting the right players and developing them. This is where we are at present and past rhetoric about League titles next season, overspend and X amount of players belong more to a past era than to today.

4. When looking at the situation as a whole you have to take into consideration the football side, the political side, the financial side, the support and the overlap between them. For example, the political side is currently impacting the financial which in turn is felt by the football, from which the fans react.

5. Within this dynamic (Political Headline Overview is MASH/SD are at corporate war with Rangers) I think it important that the support back the club. However, the club have some difficulty in communicating with fans on this due to gagging orders/live court cases and in this vacum there are efforts made on behalf of MASH to spread misinformation.

6. Communication is vital. Unrealistic expectations and timescales haven't helped and should be replaced by straightforward realism that focuses on building a productive football operation for the medium to long term. IMO Paul Murray or Stewart Robertson may be better to communicate this whilst DK may be more effective in the background in efforts to bring SDI legally and financially to account.

7. We aren't out of the woods financially, nor has the war been won although regime change was hugely important and until this particular 'war' is over there will most likely be varying degrees of turbulence.

8. We need the fans to get behind the club during what amounts to 'corporate wartime', not to do what Mr.MASH would like to see us do. At the sametime, on the field, we have reasons to be cheerful and have to realise at present it's building blocks and patience rather than millions (that we don't have) thrown at players.

9. Perhaps Mr.MASH is being aggressive because they would probably like DK and the club to drop plans and efforts to bring SDI, legally and financially to account. This strategy may or may not run parralell to current criminal proceedings and the fall out from them. Whatever happens is going to take time.

The vast majority of the Rangers support will not pay to watch a sub-standard product. I despair paying £500 for a ST to see Nicky Clarke still in the team.

This team need improving or the crowds will start to decline.

Unfortunately people such as yourself seem to think we should all turn up regardless just because of the boardroom changes earlier this week but it is what we're watching on the park which matters most and in recent weeks there's been a marked deterioration

Edited by RANGERRAB

The vast majority of the Rangers support will not pay to watch a sub-standard product. I despair paying £500 for a ST to see Nicky Clarke still in the team.

This team need improving or the crowd will start to decline.

Unfortunately people such as yourself seem to think we should all turn up regardless just because of the boardroom changes earlier this week but it is what we're watching n the park which matters most and in recent weeks there's been a marked deterioration

It's up to each individual to decide if they turn up or not but I'm trying to make the point that the club is still embroiled in off field problems and it's going to take time to sort out. That we either appreciate the change in approach to the football operation and take our lead in this from MW or complain and want to return to the ways of the past, both on and off field. The problem with the latter is that it isn't currently viable.

The natural way of things is that when a football team drops it's performance/results that crowds will drop, that's nothing new.

At various levels at the club things are 'work in progress' but the medium-term vision behind the football operation is sound and has good people in post. Consider where we have come from, where we are and that a firm foundation for a good rebuild was never going to happen overnight. A wee bit of patience is called for.

I think your post is all well and good but it's vital we are promoted so there has to be investment in the team next month.

Sure that has to be tempered by all you mention but as much as the fans need to stay loyal, committed and supportive; they need something to buy into. We've had that for the first half of the season and we now need a similar carrot to keep us interested for the latter half. That would have been the case whether we were top by 10 points or in the battle we are now.

As much as I have faith in the new manager, there are certain players that are not good enough. They need to be replaced and I'd hope we'd have a few players in mind.

If not, then it's a gamble - not just with the hearts and minds of the support but with the very future of the club.

Edited by Frankie

I think your post is all well and good but it's vital we are promoted so there has to be investment in the team next month.

Sure that has to be tempered by all you mention but as much as the fans need to stay loyal, committed and supportive; they need something to buy into. We've had that for the first half of the season and we now need a similar carrot to keep us interested for the latter half. That would have been the case whether we were top by 10 points or in the battle we are now.

As much as I have faith in the new manager, there are certain players that are not good enough. They need to be replaced and I'd hope we'd have a few players in mind.

If not, then it's a gamble - not just with the hearts and minds of the support but with the very future of the club.

I agree that promotion is vital and that the squad could do with strengthing to that end. Although I don't think that necessarily means spending substantial cash on transfer fees. MW and FMcP know the budget, know the markets and I'm confident thay can find players that will add value.

The club is where it is and the "carrots" of the past that have been expensive and that had varying degrees of success/failure are a thing of the past. Equally to go down that route is dangerous for the future of the club.

There is a balance to be struck, that has to take into account the current situation and an appreciation of why we brought in Mark Warburton instead of an Dick Advocaat type.

Edited by buster.

I agree that promotion is vital and that the squad could do with strengthing to that end. Although I don't think that necessarily means spending substantial cash on transfer fees. MW and FMcP know the budget, know the markets and I'm confident thay can find players that will add value.

The club is where it is and the "carrots" of the past that have been expensive and that had varying degrees of success/failure are a thing of the past. Equally to go down that route is dangerous for the future of the club.

There is a balance to be struck, that has to take into account the current situation and an appreciation of why we brought in Mark Warburton instead of an Alex McLeish type.

I'm not saying we need to spend money we don't have - just that we do spend and bring the player(s) in we need according to budget.

In that sense, there's no doubt the fans have to be appreciative of the budget as well and patience is certainly a virtue in that regard. It was most disappointing to see see hundreds/thousands of fans leave the game from the 75th minute on at the weekend - especially when we consider how many goals we score late in games nowadays.

Generally there's a long way to go and there's no short-cuts. We need to play our part more than ever.