Milne keen to see Rangers and Hibs in top division

Peter Houston says his Falkirk side can spark a league revamp by beating Hibs and Rangers to title

BAIRNS boss believes SPFL chiefs would be forced to create a bigger top flight next season if his team pip the big two in the Championship to promotion.

PETER Houston has hit on a fail-safe plan to take Rangers and Hibs back into the top flight – lead Falkirk to the Championship title.

The Bairns boss reckons Scottish football bosses will scramble a reconstruction plan if the big boys from Ibrox and Easter Road lose out on promotion.

Houston’s side take on Gers this Saturday and he has become the first significant figure in the game to claim the current second-tier title race may ultimately be proved meaningless.

His chairman Doug Henderson is leading the bid to have the Scottish game realigned in time for next season – and Houston reckons it’s only right Rangers, Hibs and his own club are welcomed back into the fold.

He said: “Do you think if Rangers and Hibs don’t go up this season there might be league reconstruction? Or if Falkirk go up as champions?

“I know what I think would happen – there would be league reconstruction.

“I believe there will be reconstruction because there is an acceptance now that we need our big clubs back in the Premiership.

“If Falkirk went up as champions they would do it and I hope it can happen like that.

"We need Hibs, Rangers – and Falkirk – back up there as soon as possible and I don’t mean to the detriment of other teams who are there on sporting merit.

“We played in a cup final last year and are arguably a bigger club than Inverness, Ross County, Hamilton and maybe even Partick Thistle.

“It’s not the case on the pitch maybe but we have more than 3000 season-ticket holders.

“We want our national game to be as strong as possible, which includes seeing the Scotland team back at major finals.

“I don’t know if creating bigger leagues would do all that but maybe it’s time to revisit the Belgian idea ( where the league splits into three sections after the 16 teams face each other twice ) which was rejected a couple of years ago.”

Fans of other clubs would be up in arms at the idea of Rangers and Hibs being given free entry to the top flight but Houston insists it’s time to see the bigger picture for the benefit of the whole game.

He added: “Rangers got themselves into bother. Hearts got themselves into bother via foreign owners and Hibs got themselves in bother because their team didn’t do the business.

“I am not looking to do any of them favours. I would also prefer Falkirk to be in the top league on merit, trust me. But I have to be honest and ask if teams are fed up playing four times a season?

“Does anyone really think it does the league any favours to have Rangers and Hibs out of the Premiership? We want to see the game flourish. We want to see young players playing in the top league.”

Houston’s comments are sure to spark a debate just days after his side drew 1-1 at Hibs , a result that will give them confidence for Saturday’s visit of Mark Warburton’s league leaders.

Rangers have stumbled recently but Houston does not believe they have been hit with the jitters .

He added: “I wouldn’t question their bottle. Every team has a period when they’re not at their best.

“Rangers could get back to their best again quickly. I just hope it’s not Saturday.

“We’re still six points behind Hibs and nine behind Rangers. Falkirk are not under the radar any more and we have to be able to handle it.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-houston-says-falkirk-side-7020618

STEWART Milne has admitted he would be happy to see Rangers back up in the Premiership next season.

The Dons chairman would also be delighted if Hibs gained promotion with the Gers from the Championship.

“We want to have all of the top clubs up in the Premiership,” said Milne.

“If Rangers come up with the right approach – and everyone allows them to put what happened in the past behind them – it would be good for the game.

“It would be fantastic if Hibs were able to get back up to the Premiership this season as well.

When you look back over the last five to six years we have come through some horrendous times economically.

“Some of our top clubs not being in the top division for a substantial part of that period didn’t help.

“We are bringing less money into the game through media deals than we were back in 2007.

“The Sky contract was renegotiated when we lost Rangers because they were part of the deal.

“We could no longer fulfil our agreement with them so money was pulled back.

“What we have to do now is find ways of bringing more money back into the game.

“Having Rangers and Hibs back at the top level again would help.”

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/milne-keen-to-see-gers-and-hibs-in-top-division2/

Should have thought of that before putting the boot in then, fannybaws.

I've yet to hear anyone of them say 'What's been done to that old club is an absolute outrage'

Every time representitives from other clubs talk, it's all about selfish gain, and never about the good of the game or what is right.

Did Aberdeen vote us out because it was the right thing to do or good for the game? No it was about Aberdeen having a better chance of *second* place while having the enjoyment of putting the jealous boot into a rival club.

Do they want us back up for the good of the game or because it's the rightful place of a club that's been harshly treated? No, it's because they want more TV money for themselves.

Is it not a written SPFL rule that league reconstruction would require one full season notice?

Yes, that rings a bell. I've had a quick look at the rules and can't see anything about it though, but I may be missing it.

Doncaster had this to say when the subject of reconstruction came up in July of this year...

There are many formulations we can use, but we've ended up with a 12-team set-up in the Premiership for many years now - since the split was devised - because that is currently the consensus. "Now that might change but ultimately you would need from next year - when the three-year fixed term, if you like, of this set-up expires - 11 out of the top 12 clubs to vote in favour of any different format.

It must be written somewhere that this 'three year fixed term' cannot be binned.

Dundee United chief Stephen Thompson backs reconstruction calls.. but insists it's NOT to avoid a Terrors relegation

THE influential member of the SPFL board is keen for talks to start as early as next month but does not propose a change to the current set-up before the summer of 2017.

STEPHEN THOMPSON is backing calls for league reconstruction - but not as an escape from the drop for Dundee United.

The Tannadice owner is ready to embrace discussions on the future of the Scottish game with a view to re-vamping the current system of 12-10-10-10.

Thompson, an influential member of the SPFL board, is keen for talks to start as early as next month but, significantly, does not propose change to the current set-up before the summer of 2017.

Thompson’s assessment is being backed by sources inside Hampden, who claim there is no chance of reconstruction in the summer - even if Hibs and Rangers fail to win promotion.

Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor is also backing calls for change, but not for at least another 18 months.

Dundee United are facing at least a season in the second tier of Scottish football if they fail to climb from their current relegation hole, eight points adrift of second bottom Kilmarnock.

Thompson said: “The merger of the two league bodies and the introduction of play-offs between the Premiership and Championship was only meant to be the beginning of change for Scottish football, not the end.

“I’m all for change if it betters the game as a whole, but I do not see any re-structuring happening in time for next season.

“We cannot talk about reconstruction when clubs are top or bottom of a division, when people would be tempted to make decisions based on where they are in the league.

“I dont want people to think ‘Stephen Thompson wants a 16 team league.’ I believe discussions should start at the turn of the year and be taken forward for a number of months.

“We can then put forward proposals in the summer with a view to any changes being made the following year.

“That’s the right thing to do. Ultimately, at Dundee United we must get ourselves out of the position in which we currently find ourselves before the end of the season, but that’s a different subject on which I don’t wish to be drawn.”

Falkirk chairman Doug Henderson set the hare running on reconstruction at the Bairns’ agm last month and claims it could be introduced in time for next season.

His club boss Peter Houston reckons the SPFL would scramble to overhaul the current system if Rangers or Hibs were pipped to the title by his team.

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne spoke at his club’s agm earlier this week about the need to have Rangers and Hibs back in the top flight as quickly as possible.

But a Hampden source said: “If reconstruction was to be proposed for next season then all 42 clubs would have to agree with it. Anyone who knows Scottish football knows that is next to impossible.

“Also, if Rangers and Hibs stay down and Dundee United are relegated, then these issues will not be settled until May.

“Does anyone seriously think the clubs could vote on reconstruction in June and then think it can be delivered in time for the start of the new season? There is no possibility of this happening in time for next season.”

Ross County supremo MacGregor added: “Of course, I would like to see Rangers and Hibs in the top division again, but it’s up to these clubs to go and do their business in the months ahead.”

Thompson reckons the merger of the SPL and SFL almost three years ago has left the game in the best position to deliver in the longer term.

Thompson added: “Some people have argued the current set-up isn’t right, but let’s discuss it. It’s not the finished product, but at least we can make changes now we’re all under the one roof.

“No-one has the right answer to an alternative set up and maybe we won’t ever find one but we should at least start talking about it soon.”

A spokesman for the SPFL said: “Any club can bring forward a proposal to change the league structure at any time.

“If such proposal obtains sufficient support from fellow clubs, then like any other rule change, it becomes reality.

“We are currently in the three-year lock-down period following the merger in June 2013 which applies to parts of the SPFL Articles and Rules.

“Therefore, at present, all 42 clubs would need to agree to any proposal for substantive change for it to be approved.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...ompson-7024145

Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor: I want Rangers and Hibs back in the top-flight but not by reconstruction.. they have to do it by themselves like everybody else

MacGREGOR would love to see Rangers and Hibs back in the top flight of the SPFL this summer, but only on the back of their own efforts on the pitch.

ROY MacGREGOR is ready to become an architect of change for Scottish football – as long as it is built on a foundation of fan loyalty.

The Ross County chairman, one of the leading business figures in Scotland, has joined Dundee United owner Stephen Thompson in rejecting the idea of league reconstruction in time for next season.

MacGregor would love to see Rangers and Hibs back in the top flight of the SPFL this summer, but only on the back of their own efforts on the pitch.

In fairness, the clarion calls for change are not coming from Ibrox or Easter Road – Falkirk chairman Doug Henderson has led the initial charge – and the Dingwall chief is sympathetic to his principle, if not his timetable for reform.

MacGregor, founder of Global Energy Systems and with a personal wealth estimated at £400million, is calling for a national debate on the best way forward for Scottish football, with sweeping changes most likely by the summer of 2017.

His comments are characterised by consistency – he stood with St Mirren against the 12-12-18 proposal put forward almost three years ago, which would have seen the top two divisions split into three leagues of eight midway through the campaign.

The ambitious proposal failed to secure an 11-1 majority of top-flight clubs, thanks to the rejection by County and Saints, because MacGregor did not believe it represented good value for season-ticket holders.

They are again uppermost in his thoughts, which is why he is against moving the goalposts midway through the campaign, even if he is open to the idea of change in the longer term.

MacGregor said: “We’re coming to the end of the period in which a shock went through clubs who showed a capacity to overspend.

“The decline of Hibs and Rangers comes down to bad management but the league have moved to tighten up on issues so there’s more awareness of debt.

“Of course, I would like to see Rangers and Hibs in the top division again, but it’s up to these clubs to go and do their business in the months ahead. One of them is likely to come up as champions and the other, in terms of stature, should have a good chance of promotion via the play-offs.

“After the recent announcement of the changes to the structure of the League Cup, as well as the European Championships, a move to change the current set-up next season is probably too difficult in practical terms.

“I don’t have a problem at all with the debate (being put forward by Stephen Thompson) of a change for the summer of 2017.

“My argument against the structure being proposed last time was from the perspective of the fan. If you buy a season ticket you should know what will happen over the course of that campaign.

“Even now, if you buy a season ticket you don’t know about the sides your team will face in the last five games. Making a move at Christmas is not fair to season-ticket holders who are the most loyal fans.”

MacGregor candidly admits he has no great vision for the structure of Scottish football going forward, although he would prefer to face his top-flight rivals less often over the course of a campaign, rather than more.

However, there are areas in which he believes the Scottish game can offer better value for the fan and, in turn, improve the chances of the national team making an impact again at the highest level.

He added: “I believe the play-offs have been of benefit to the Scottish game and I’m supportive of the move to bring the League Cup forward by a couple of weekends in July.

“I was the new kid on the block during the talks on reconstruction last time around and television were a driving force in the belief that either a 16 or 18-team league would not provide enough competition.

“I’m not sure that argument cuts ice any longer if we have clubs such as Rangers, Hearts and Hibs back in the SPFL Premiership.

“I would prefer to play each team twice a season rather than four times and one of the good things about reconstruction is that more money has gone to First Division clubs.

“The top four or five clubs in the Championship would probably grace the Premiership – and it could mean four more teams at the highest level providing more players for the national team too.

“There are several areas up for debate and I would like to see every club in the Championship full-time.

“I’m also an advocate of safe standing and the tail is wagging the dog in terms of midweek match scheduling at this time of the season.

“We’re in the League Cup semi-final, but it won’t be played until the end of January and our quarter-final tie was played in October.

“Why’s that? We don’t have enough Saturdays because the Premier League can’t play in midweek when European games are on the telly.

“If we don’t have clubs in Europe, surely we can play on a Tuesday and Saturday? After all, they do it in the English Championship.

“Overall, I welcome debate. Football is an entertainment business, but we’ve got to continue to ask if we’re entertaining.

“The integrity of season-ticket holders is everything. They deserve certainty. If there is a trend of falling attendances, it’s not among season-ticket holders but the pay-as-you-go guy.

“I have an open mind of the discussions going forward, but penalising the most loyal fans is a dangerous concept.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-county-chairman-roy-macgregor-7025880