Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

I don't think Eustace will be signing now but we certainly need someone of his style to either partner or replace Halliday for certain games.

I agree that Aird, Miller and Oduwa aren't good enough but until we factor in a replacement the manager has to pick one and stick by them as much as possible.

Edited by Frankie

Can't say I saw much of Aird for months, he's 20and has been in and out of the time like their is no tomorrow. Our u20s-reporter might be the best to describe his recent form and performances.

EDIT: I liked what I saw from Thompson though, and I asssume that W&W simply deem him a little too young to be a starter right now.

Edited by der Berliner

Can't say I saw much of Aird for months, he's 20and has been in and out of the time like their is no tomorrow. Our u20s-reporter might be the best to describe his recent form and performances.

EDIT: I liked what I saw from Thompson though, and I asssume that W&W simply deem him a little too young to be a starter right now.

Aird came to us as a forward/midfielder ally played him on the right wing cos the lad does have a good engine in him just like Crawford but they weren't good enough in our eyes but ally continued to play him but to say now he's tavs understudy at right back is sheer lunacy to me. I saw Ryan sinnamon not that long ago and he had a great game at right back. We need defenders in defending positions not forwards. Since Walter came back we seem to have played players out of position and ally kept it going...

I don't think Eustace will be signing now but we certainly need someone of his style to either partner or replace Halliday for certain games.

I agree that Aird, Miller and Oduwa aren't good enough but until we factor in a replacement the manager has to pick one and stick by them as much as possible.

Sorry, just reading back on my comment, it may have come across that I thought that Eustace was still going to be signed. I meant that MW's first signing in January would be a player to fill the defensive midfield role. No idea who that may be though! For the winger position, does anyone know when Tom Walsh is likely to be fit? In my eyes, I think that he could provide the necessary width and he can deliver dangerous crosses on either foot. I would rather give him a chance than any loanee player, and see how he develops.

Sorry, just reading back on my comment, it may have come across that I thought that Eustace was still going to be signed. I meant that MW's first signing in January would be a player to fill the defensive midfield role. No idea who that may be though! For the winger position, does anyone know when Tom Walsh is likely to be fit? In my eyes, I think that he could provide the necessary width and he can deliver dangerous crosses on either foot. I would rather give him a chance than any loanee player, and see how he develops.

Walsh has been fit for a while (or has been training at least) but isn't quoted.

Wilson's form is quite a concern though. He's been beaten by his man or caught out of position on several occasions and its led to us conceding goals.

His confidence looks shot, and he also looks to me like he wants/needs a marker behind him, to give him confidence to attack the ball in front of him, knowing that he has someone sweeping if he doesn't connect.

Wilson's form is quite a concern though. He's been beaten by his man or caught out of position on several occasions and its led to us conceding goals.

His confidence looks shot, and he also looks to me like he wants/needs a marker behind him, to give him confidence to attack the ball in front of him, knowing that he has someone sweeping if he doesn't connect.

I noted on Saturday that he looked comfortable going forward, beyond the half way line at attacking Falkirk's defence. If he could toughen up a bit more, get some bite into his tackles. I think he could fill the missing link between defenders and attackers? well on the little bit i saw on Saturday of this side of his game.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Said it before, we could also use Ball as a defensive midfielder, and while all three, Kiernan, Ball and Wilson are centre-halfs by trade, they can and have also played as defensive midfielders, right fullback and left fullback respectively. Thus, one could match them up as a defensive trio like Ball - Kiernan - Wilson, giving one more option to midfield. It obviously backfired once against Hibs, but unless I am mistaken, it was the game were Wilson was unfit and IMHO not ready for a game. I for one would try it against some lesser lights, and give the man in the middle, i.e. Kiernan, leeway to venture forward on occasion as well. He did that on Saturday.

BTW, I know people will be coming and say that we do not need three defenders in the Championship, but ... a) it is more like 2 left/right CHs plus a defensive midfielder rather than three straight CHs, b) we have been caught out enough with the old system to disregard other tactics per se, and c) it would give us more options from middle to front. It obviously only works if people do track back. You can rest either of the fullbacks every now and then too (which might be the order of the day anyway). Even if you still play them, as people have pointed out, both Tav and Wallace are more WINGbacks than FULLbacks these days anyway - given the way we play.

Edited by der Berliner