Report: Zelalem to be given chance to make Arsenal first team

As Rousseau has written on previously he's not there to shoot and score goals. It's like saying Kenny Miller isn't a very good tackler.

Sure technique should always been improved where appropriate but, no matter what level Zelalem ends up playing at, you can be sure we'll not be talking about his goals... ;)

In modern football we now play with a defensive midfielder and the other forward thinking midfielders. They have to be almost as dangerous as the strikers. I am not sure there is still room at the top for someone who strolls about the midfield without causing sort of danger.

Edited by pete

As Rousseau has written on previously he's not there to shoot and score goals. It's like saying Kenny Miller isn't a very good tackler.

Sure technique should always been improved where appropriate but, no matter what level Zelalem ends up playing at, you can be sure we'll not be talking about his goals... ;)

I somewhat agree but then a striker still needs to tackle now and again and I'd say KM's tackling is better than Zelalem's shooting. Defenders are there to primarily tackle but all of them are better at shooting than Zelalem. Nothing personal against the lad, but it's something he really needs to work on... I think I've done some bad back passes that were better and harder shots than he seems to muster. ;)

I think the most disappointing thing about GZ is that he hasn't come on leaps and bounds under MW. I was expecting more positive results with our loanees, with only Ball doing showing reasonable improvement. Not only that, it's been at the expense of our own youngsters, who haven't had much of a look in when you look at the U21s.

MW's record for improving players is so far dominated by the 23-26 range, plus Barrie McKay at 21.

MW two most dissapointing signings have both been loans. They were not the right type we needed.imo.

Now that hes got a better grasp of things,im sure he will be better placed to get loans in who will make more of an impact.

MW two most dissapointing signings have both been loans. They were not the right type we needed.imo.

Now that hes got a better grasp of things,im sure he will be better placed to get loans in who will make more of an impact.

Forrester is a loan player and he's been excellent, improvement from him in every match. You need competition for places and both Oduwa and Zelalem provided that. Oduwa put pressure on McKay and Zelalem put pressure on Halliday, it might not be coincidence that both have been very consistent this season. How they'd have been had there been no one to step into their role is unknown. It was no coincidence that Mark Hately had one of his best seasons at Rangers when we signed Duncan Ferguson for example. I doubt either Oduwa or Zelalem will be in the Spurs or Arsenal first team next season but they've experienced first team football now and all that goes along with it, so they are better players now than when they first arrived.

Young players need first team football, Warburton understands that. I'd expect to see Liam Burt out on loan next season for example but Hardie and Thomson back in our squad.

Forrester is a loan player and he's been excellent, improvement from him in every match. You need competition for places and both Oduwa and Zelalem provided that. Oduwa put pressure on McKay and Zelalem put pressure on Halliday, it might not be coincidence that both have been very consistent this season. How they'd have been had there been no one to step into their role is unknown. It was no coincidence that Mark Hately had one of his best seasons at Rangers when we signed Duncan Ferguson for example. I doubt either Oduwa or Zelalem will be in the Spurs or Arsenal first team next season but they've experienced first team football now and all that goes along with it, so they are better players now than when they first arrived.

Young players need first team football, Warburton understands that. I'd expect to see Liam Burt out on loan next season for example but Hardie and Thomson back in our squad.

They were not signed to improve other players,they were there to help us by contributing. IMO they didnt. It happens.

Forrester isn't on loan, he was a free agent signed on a six month deal.

Hateley was consistent for several seasons and scored 27 goals the season before Ferguson joined, so I'm not sure how much of a correlation can be shown there.

Both of these loan players were poor signings. Competition is obviously important but we would have been far better bringing through our own players who might be of some use in the future.