UEFA Licence 2011 - Time to put this to bed.

By TheLawMan

Just as a preamble, I have said in the past on here that I have a number of acquaintances whom I met through Rangers over the years I was fortunate to have hospitality with the club. Over a period of 10+ years a small group of 9 of us kept close even after most of us had moved on to pastures new including moving abroad and down south.

Between us we have a huge professional and financial background and range from Self Employed small family businessman through to Audit partner and qualified lawyer. We often share emails, thoughts and views on all things Rangers and it’s fair to say that in the most we hold pretty similar opinions on a lot of things. 9 times out of 10, our thoughts and views are not aligned with the majority of our support but we offer them when asked without fear nor favour. Never was that more prevalent than back in 2011/12 when we could see exactly what was happening and I was sending out all the warning signals much to a lot of unhappy replies.

I thought it important to give this background as what im about to write has been shared by email between us all, checked and verified as standing up by people who have an advantage over the general Scottish football fan and I don’t mean that to sound demeaning in any respect, just to point out that checking information, looking at regulations and legal documents etc is what they have done most of their working life.

The recent report which claims that the SFA wrongly approved a licence for Rangers to play in Europe which was compiled by an Independent group (The Offshore Game) based on information supplied to them by Celtic supporters. The first thing to note is that, for once, I genuinely believe the author is independent and not a Celtic fan/Rangers hater. I believe however the evidence presented was tainted and hand-picked before sending it however I am about to prove why the report is wrong and why all the moon howling by Celtic fans on Resolution 12 is dead in the water.

Full article here: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?/topic/295386-uefa-licence-2011-time-to-put-this-to-bed/

Edited by ian1964

I've had a quick look through the article.

It followed a line of thinking that I suspected may have been the case, and it all seems logical.

The only area that I can see being a potential problem is where it says

"31st March - 1st disclosure due to SFA for licence by the Club. At this point, the Social Tax is NOT overdue as no formal agreement has been reached and no payment date set by HMRC. "

Tax can still be overdue prior to a subsequent agreement with a specified payment date being reached.

3rd March - Andrew Thornhill recommends to the Rangers Board that they "seek a settlement" with HMRC in relation to the Small Tax Case

21st March - A hand written note states that HMRC have agreed "IN PRINCIPLE" that the settlement seems the right thing to do. A decision which then needs to become a formal offer by HMRC and an agreement by the Club.

Why did the Small Tax case (STC) become an issue? Did the club look at it themselves and decide to contact HMRC to settle or did HMRC raise an assessment which Rangers then decided to agree a settlement and a payment schedule? Was this prior assessment still in place to be later superseded by a formal agreement?

Does the Spanish FA wrongly approve a licence for Spanish clubs to play in Europe every season.

Many of them owe tax arrears. Hundreds of millions last I heard.

Or has the yahoo writer not got round to that yet?

Why did the Small Tax case (STC) become an issue? Did the club look at it themselves and decide to contact HMRC to settle or did HMRC raise an assessment which Rangers then decided to agree a settlement and a payment schedule? Was this prior assessment still in place to be later superseded by a formal agreement?

Always assumed HMRC discovered it and presented it to Rangers (AJ's out of left field quote), Rangers negotiated payment terms which subsequently Whyte didn't honour. Was it not the reason the Whyte "takeover" ended up falling from the initially mooted £6m to the infamous £1?

Always assumed HMRC discovered it and presented it to Rangers (AJ's out of left field quote), Rangers negotiated payment terms which subsequently Whyte didn't honour. Was it not the reason the Whyte "takeover" ended up falling from the initially mooted £6m to the infamous £1?

Definitely it was