Scottish Cup final whistle scenes

Best example I have seen so far of how quickly there were thousands on the pitch and clearly shows how very little was in place to stop it. Taken from the hibs end and starts before the final whistle.

Another one of them almost right in the faces of our fans who are still in the stand taunting them to come out. After watching this I'm only amazed that more didn't.

In 1993 my family came over on Holiday to visit me in Hengelo in the Netherlands. Being Football fanatics, taking my brother-in-law and his young son to a football game was a natural thing to do. FC Twente the local professional football club were playing against Feynoord in one of the last games FC Twente played at the Diekman Stadium before moving to the Grolsch Veste. The Diekman was an old stadium with old so called cowsheds and temporary seating. In those days there were fences all round the field.

All of a sudden the Feyenoord supporters to our right started climbing the fences and on to the field.

First it was a drizzle but quickly the numbers grew to a large crowd. They then headed to the stand I was sitting in and started climbing the fence into our stand. More and more FC Twente supporters started running away from the seating nearest the fence. I turned to my brother-in-law and said “Come on let's get out of here” Thankfully the person next to me said you can better stay in your seat and not become part of the large running crowd that had built up in the footpath beneath us.

Just at that moment the Riot police came marching in. The Dutch police don't muck about in these circumstances they did not care who they hit with their batons they swung at anyone to get them out of their way. They just wanted the area cleared so they could get through to the Feynoord supporters. My neighbour had given me sound advice to stay seated. The relief when the police had positioned themselves between the Feynoord supporters and myself and family was great. They pushed them back until they had a few remaining that could not get back over the fence in time not to be arrested.

On Saturday the Rangers supporters never got that police barricade. There was no fence for possible boozed up hooligans to climb The supporters in the stand had to face the oncoming onslaught of aggressive Hibs supporters without any protection. I know from my experience the fear they must have had with many sitting with their kids or grandchildren. I can also imagine their relief when a band of a few hundred Rangers supporters broke the barriers to defend the onslaught of snarling taunting Hibs hooligans.

Today in the newspapers photographs were printed in which it looked like the Police were looking for the Rangers supporters who were acting in self=defence to defend the Rangers Stands where woman and Children were sitting in fear. Yes the police should be looking for these people. Not to arrest them but to thank them for doing their job. I take my hat off to the people who formed a front line and challenged the real aggressors. If the Hibs supporters had stayed in their seats there would have been no need for Rangers supporters to defend themselves. It is the supporters attacking Rangers players that the police should be looking for. They are the real criminals.

Edited by pete

In 1993 my family came over on Holiday to visit me in Hengelo in the Netherlands. Being Football fanatics, taking my brother-in-law and his young son to a football game was a natural thing to do. FC Twente the local professional football club were playing against Feynoord in one of the last games FC Twente played at the Diekman Stadium before moving to the Grolsch Veste. The Diekman was an old stadium with old so called cowsheds and temporary seating. In those days there were fences all round the field.

All of a sudden the Feyenoord supporters to our right started climbing the fences and on to the field.

First it was a drizzle but quickly the numbers grew to a large crowd. They then headed to the stand I was sitting in and started climbing the fence into our stand. More and more FC Twente supporters started running away from the seating nearest the fence. I turned to my brother-in-law and said “Come on let's get out of here” Thankfully the person next to me said you can better stay in your seat and not become part of the large running crowd that had built up in the footpath beneath us.

Just at that moment the Riot police came marching in. The Dutch police don't muck about in these circumstances they did not care who they hit with their batons they swung at anyone to get them out of their way. They just wanted the area cleared so they could get through to the Feynoord supporters. My neighbour had given me sound advice to stay seated. The relief when the police had positioned themselves between the Feynoord supporters and myself and family was great. They pushed them back until they had a few remaining that could not get back over the fence in time not to be arrested.

On Saturday the Rangers supporters never got that police barricade. There was no fence for possible boozed up hooligans to climb The supporters in the stand had to face the oncoming onslaught of aggressive Hibs supporters without any protection. I know from my experience the fear they must have had with many sitting with their kids or grandchildren. I can also imagine their relief when a band of a few hundred Rangers supporters broke the barriers to defend the onslaught of snarling taunting Hibs hooligans.

Today in the newspapers photographs were printed in which it looked like the Police were looking for the Rangers supporters who were acting in self=defence to defend the Rangers Stands where woman and Children were sitting in fear. Yes the police should be looking for these people. Not to arrest them but to thank them for doing their job. I take my hat off to the people who formed a front line and challenged the real aggressors. If the Hibs supporters had stayed in their seats there would have been no need for Rangers supporters to defend themselves. It is the supporters attacking Rangers players that the police should be looking for. They are the real criminals.

Pete...you are spot on with that.

I'm not a coward but the section I was in on Saturday I felt concern when the Hibs fans made their way towards us, I was sitting a few seats from the front and had to get off my seat with my friends in case they came at us.

All I wanted to do before that was to applaud the team and staff for all they had done for us this season, just show my appreciation for giving us a great season. Some guys around us took the attitude to take the hordes of Hibernian nutjobs to task...I felt a little more secure when I saw that. The guys who took that decision made me feel a lot more secure...the polis done absolutely nothing to stop the potential harm to innocent fans like myself seated at our end.

Pete...you are spot on with that.

I'm not a coward but the section I was in on Saturday I felt concern when the Hibs fans made their way towards us, I was sitting a few seats from the front and had to get off my seat with my friends in case they came at us.

All I wanted to do before that was to applaud the team and staff for all they had done for us this season, just show my appreciation for giving us a great season. Some guys around us took the attitude to take the hordes of Hibernian nutjobs to task...I felt a little more secure when I saw that. The guys who took that decision made me feel a lot more secure...the polis done absolutely nothing to stop the potential harm to innocent fans like myself seated at our end.

I do have to say though after seeing the latest footage with the guy kicking the young Hibs supporter on the head when he was lying on the ground deserves to be arrested he is totally out of order and in no way can I condone that.

Pete, that is an incredibly powerful, meaningful, appropriate statement. It should actually get widespread media coverage !!

Edited by craig

I do have to say though after seeing the latest footage with the guy kicking the young Hibs supporter on the head when he was lying on the ground deserves to be arrested he is totally out of order and in no way can I condone that.

Agree Pete, but the young lad is not innocent as plenty of photo's of him have proven and look at where on the park the kick took place. I'm afraid this is the usual outcome when one idiot confronts another.

what is the context?

if he attacked the Rangers supporter he has every right to incapaciate him to defend himself.

what is the context?

if he attacked the Rangers supporter he has every right to incapaciate him to defend himself.

He wasn't defending himself. The boy was already on the ground disorientated from a few punches from someone else. He ran up and cowardly kicked him on the head and ran quickly back in the direction of the stand. Even the most staunch could not claim self defence in this case. We also have to be honest with ourselves.