Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

Your vigilance is commendable 26th.

I think we know what the response from all three of these individuals would have been if Rangers fans had invaded the pitch and laid into the nearest Hibs player they could find. If Wings Over Scotland want to dance on the head of a pin to justify assault and mob rule then they need to be exposed for the hypocrites they are. if the Rev Campbell is ever confronted and assaulted the way that our players and staff were, I doubt he would be willing to concede that his attackers might have harboured some "legitimate sense of injustice" and that this somehow justified their actions.

The response from those in positions of 'responsibility', ie. Rod Petrie, said it all.

He defiantly and repeatedly refused to categorize as 'disgraceful', any attacks on Rangers players by his clubs fans. His disdain and indifference were written all over his face.

7 minutes into the video linked below

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1354888-see-hibs-chairman-rod-petrie-respond-to-cup-final-crowd-disorder/

---------------

If the Hibs chairman and SFA Vice President can get away with it then 'throw away the keys'.

Edited by buster.

WoS is dreadful & the guy who runs it has done so much damage to the Nationalist cause, Unionists should be lionising him.

Importing the politics of Northern Ireland as a solution to not liking the SNP is just about as insane a suggestion as I've ever read.

I was hoping FMQ's yesterday might have brought the subject up, I don't know if there was one or not though. But my local MSP made a speech the other day so there are definitely people there - has anyone brought it up? And if not, why not?

Michael Mathison on GMS was appalling, but if he'd mentioned Rangers we'd be complaining as well.

I can't remember the figure exactly but over 1,000,000 people voted SNP about three weeks ago, if we're suggesting none of them are Bluenoses I think we're into the realms of fantasy.

Rangers can shout about the SNP but it will achieve nothing beyond making us look slightly hysterical: we have to focus on what we can actually do, such as ensure Petrie gets the bullet, or people are prosecuted for assault, or news outlets which connive with mendacity are highlighted. Wider Scotland doesn't like football the way it did, and it doesn't like the Old Firm especially (celtc fans will have to come to terms with this eventually...at least we know how we're viewed!). Wider Scotland is perfectly happy for football to be legislated into next week, and frankly the more we stamp and shout the less tolerant wider Scotland becomes.

You may not like that or agree with the reasons why it is so, but surely you'd want to find a way to combat it rather than to help it on its way?

Anyway, according to Twitter this morning if you're a Rangers fan and don't hate the SNP, you're not really a Rangers fan, so what do I know? If that's the benchmark, and this thread appears to back it up, I'll be going the same way as neutralscot!

I have always disliked/abhorred the SNP not because I am a Rangers fan but because I have always seen them with a leader who has the dream of being the one who manages to gain independence it is a total ego thing so how can we expect clarity from them.

I can't remember the figure exactly but over 1,000,000 people voted SNP about three weeks ago, if we're suggesting none of them are Bluenoses I think we're into the realms of fantasy.

How many of their MPs or MSPs (or even councillors) are Rangers fans?

Rangers can shout about the SNP but it will achieve nothing beyond making us look slightly hysterical: we have to focus on what we can actually do, such as ensure Petrie gets the bullet, or people are prosecuted for assault, or news outlets which connive with mendacity are highlighted. Wider Scotland doesn't like football the way it did, and it doesn't like the Old Firm especially (celtc fans will have to come to terms with this eventually...at least we know how we're viewed!). Wider Scotland is perfectly happy for football to be legislated into next week, and frankly the more we stamp and shout the less tolerant wider Scotland becomes.

You may not like that or agree with the reasons why it is so, but surely you'd want to find a way to combat it rather than to help it on its way?

Anyway, according to Twitter this morning if you're a Rangers fan and don't hate the SNP, you're not really a Rangers fan, so what do I know? If that's the benchmark, and this thread appears to back it up, I'll be going the same way as neutralscot!

I don't think you are liable to get a 'measured reaction' if the problem to be addressed has been evident for a longtime, has been allowed to fester because of a lack of unified, organised & coherent action. All within what is perceived to be an increasingly hostile enviroment.

That said the club and the new fans group seem to be on the same page and something more constructive may come of it.

I'd agree that forcing Petrie out and forcing our side of the argument into the mainstream are realistic goals.

Police investigations and the independent commission will take care of themselves.

Germinal, nobody is suggesting importing the politics of NI, I had suggested it would be unsurprising if a party not unlike the DUP which is pro unionist evolved politically in Scotland. The politics of NI are completely different for obvious reasons. It is clearly evident we need a viable and electable alternative to the nationalist party and at the moment we do not have one and are therefore becoming marginalised. As you say though, not every Rangers supporter disagrees with the SNP's stance, and that is perfectly natural in a democracy, however there is a majority, I would argue, that find the SNP are their rhetoric distasteful to say the least.

Anyway, I have gone off topic, apologies.

Germinal, nobody is suggesting importing the politics of NI, I had suggested it would be unsurprising if a party not unlike the DUP which is pro unionist evolved politically in Scotland. The politics of NI are completely different for obvious reasons. It is clearly evident we need a viable and electable alternative to the nationalist party and at the moment we do not have one and are therefore becoming marginalised. As you say though, not every Rangers supporter disagrees with the SNP's stance, and that is perfectly natural in a democracy, however there is a majority, I would argue, that find the SNP are their rhetoric distasteful to say the least.

Anyway, I have gone off topic, apologies.

It's not a pro-unionist party that would significantly eat into the SNP powerbase.

You need the Labour party to eventually get their act together and become a party worthy of their name and show the SNP up to be 'Left of centre', only in rhetoric.

Edited by buster.

Snatched from FF ...

From Matthew Moore's twitter (Ch 4 journalist)

Matthew Moore Verified account @mattmoorek

Inside Portcullis House this AM I witnessed an SNP MP whistling The Soldier's Song while walking past a group of waiting military types.

I've not made much of a contribution to the cup final aftermath for reasons of time and not being able to add much to the debate. However the way the 'debate' is now going is puzzling me a little.

Why do we want politicians to become involved? There seems to be some sort of clamour for that and it baffles me. Hibs, the SFA and the police should be dragged over the coals and heavily criticised. A small amount of our support unfortunately should be too, whatever provocation they shouldn't have gone the pitch. But is this really something that needs to be taken to a governmental level? The assault on the players was inexcusable and I suspect Hibs will pay for that in one way or another, whatever their failings I can't see how the SFA can ignore it, I don't believe Rangers will let them either.

But should this really go any further than those organisations? I'm not a Scottish nationalist and I don't want independence, let me say that at the outset. But I have voted SNP at local, Scottish and Westminster elections in the past and may do again. I look at who is standing and choose the person I think best for the job, sometimes that's been the SNP candidate. So yes, some Rangers supporters vote SNP, some support independence. I guess many don't associate the football team they want to win with other parts of their identity or belief system. Some people seem to find this concept difficult, I don't know why.

I've lived in Northern Ireland, I spent three years there and have a big affection for the place and the people but let me assure you there is nothing about their politics or political parties we should be contemplating bringing here, nothing. We could spend all summer analysing why Rangers supporters and the club are viewed differently and treated differently from other clubs. But if anyone wants to say it's because we've an SNP government they are wildly wrong in my opinion. We, the supporters, have allowed our club to become unfashionable in some circles and viewed with genuine horror in others. How did that happen? What did 'we' do to contribute to that? We can ask 'how many SNP politicians are bluenoses' or whether a 'Unionist Party will emerge' but it kind of misses the point. We touched upon this a few months ago when the prospective SNP candidate for Glasgow Pollock held a meeting in a Celtic theme pub. Why would a young, intelligent, aspiring politician of Pakistani origin who received an expensive education choose to support Celtic?

We can keep focussing on who messed up on Saturday or we can lose that focus and start to kick out in all directions. That might be why we keep being marginalised you know.

The reason the politicians should be asked is because they helped create the overall tension that spilled over last week.

They cannot and should not be allowed to pick and choose when their stick their nose in. Party of choice doesn't matter.