Michael Mols: Rangers should be shooting for top six, not first place

See, I agree with your premise(s) -- resources, level of competition etc. -- but I don't therefore think that it means we should expect to be finishing 2nd; football doesn't work like that. I certainly want to be finishing 2nd, or 1st, but don't expect it. Perhaps it's just a confidence thing: you seem to be fairly confident, whereas I am not. I believe Warburton is doing the right things, and believe he is the man for the job, but whether we are quite there yet, I don't know?

I'm a little worried at what you're implying: what do you expect to happen if it is "abject failure" (3rd or lower)?

You cant have it both ways Rousseau! Take celtic out the equation and you will admit we have the best manager, best players, best coaches, best facilities, best sports science, best scouting set-up and therefore should finish above every one of the other 10 clubs in that division. To not do so will be a total failure, a bit like McLeish in his final season, or Ally a couple of years ago. Unless there are huge mitigating circumstances (massive injuries/suspensions) then third place should see the Rangers manager fired. I dont care who it is or what they have done, to come third in a two horse race is a sacking offence when the gap between our resources and the rest of the league is so huge.

I dont for a minute believe that Warburton's side will come third so I see it as a bit of a moot point, but think how many points we will have to drop to come third, (in 15-16 the figure would be a minimum of 44 points dropped in 38 games) and then ask yourself if Rangers supporters will accept dropping that amount of points to the sides in our league. The answer is a resounding no.

Have some faith that Warburton knows exactly what he needs to do for the coming season and we will be challenging for first, and while I have no problem if we fail to come first given the huge gulf in resources between us and them, I dont expect a huge margin or defeat for second as we should not be dropping the number of points required to fail to come second with all the above positive factors taken into account.

Don't things like that have to be declared in accounts

Yes, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be paid by them. Many ways to skin a cat - he could make a personal donation to the Club which just so happens to be the same amount as Rodgers salary and Celtic can do whatever they wish to do with that donation.