Clint Hill Signs For Rangers

And over 50 years ago Stanley Matthews retired at 50 while he was still playing for Stoke. Whilst I appreciate that players are in better physical conditions than they used to be, 37 is still very old for a player, just as it always has been. I'd understand this if he was some sort of former world beater looking for some easy games like Frank De Boer or Claudio Caniggia, but that isn't really the case. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a good season out of him given his history and the level he will face but it's not a signing that impresses me at all.

It's impossible to say at this point, we can only wait and see how he performs. Gordon Strachan who was also noted for taking care of himself was playing first team football in the top tier with Leeds United at 38 years old and was the clubs player of the year at 36.

And I would guess Strachan had a more physically demanding role than we will be asking of Hill who in most matches could probably spend much of his time lying back more or less static. If almost all he did was reliably clear those high balls that have been plaguing us while guiding the less experienced I will be content.

Hundreds of Prso and Weiss types out there as opposed to Ledley and Lafferty types.

And hundreds of Sebos, Sionkos and Mladenovics. Not to mention Capuchos and Stensaasses. If we have enough money we could get a Konterman.

Edited by Scott7

...and then again you expect the Ulstermen and the Welsh to get humped out next time along with the English.

... and they don't. And we do not expect that Aberdeen, Accies, or Killie will have the class of Europe's elite either, do we? An elite that we might meet in ... 13 months at the earliest? And even then, even with the best of the market we can attract and get, we do not hope to do any better than how Wales or the Ulstermen perform at the Euros. If we are realistic. We'll of course try, as always.

Edited by der Berliner

Michael O'Neill only has about 40 full time players to choose from in Northern Ireland, all of which ply their trade outside the domestic league. A similar situation exists in Wales.

The game in Scotland is toxic as it's ever been as we've seen with all the anti-Rangers bile over the last few years in particular. At some point we're going to have to confront the uncomfortable fact that we are miles behind clubs down south and we will have to augment our academy structure with older players from England to keep it sustainable.

I would be delighted if Rangers could emulate Wales and Northern Ireland by reaching the knockout stages of the champions league. That would be a highly profitable season.

It is a proven fact that with hard work a lot can be achieved,combined with skill of course!,I'm looking forward to the season ahead and it would be great to get off to a flying start

Hey guys let's look at the bigger picture we have signed the players pursued by MW they may be from different leagues and teams than we had hoped,but with the long term outlook who are we to say that they will not knit into a team who will become very good.

In employment everybody has to start somewhere and work their way up,unless you are an over qualified university graduate who can walk into a job without knowing a thing about it,but you are unlikely to gain respect in that scenario.

The new season is almost upon us so let's look forward after all we could still have Law,Zelalem etc. but hopefully that nightmare is over.