Ibrox issued with safety certificate after roof confusion

IT BEGAN as a rumour being spread on social media, and like so many such online claims, reports of the imminent collapse of Ibrox Stadium proved to be greatly exaggerated.

The National can reveal that, contrary to rumours, the home of Rangers FC since 1899 has been given a safety certificate for the season 2016-2017. By law, all major stadia must have such a certificate approved by experts from local authorities and emergency services.

The National can also reveal, however, that there was a glitch in the process caused by none other than the club chairman Dave King. The rumours of trouble with the structure of the stadium gained ground recently when chairman King issued a series of answers to questions put to him online by supporters of the club which won promotion to this season’s Ladbrokes Premiership four years after it collapsed financially under then chairman Craig Whyte.

South African-based King told fans on the Rangers website that “it is as unfortunate as it is true that Ibrox and its surrounding environs have been sadly neglected for many years – even prior to the Craig Whyte takeover”.

He continued: “The stadium itself requires significant maintenance work, much of which will go unseen, but will include a major overhaul of the roofs of the Broomloan, Copland Road and Sandy Jardine stands.”

At the point King issued his statement, Glasgow’s Safety Advisory Group, which monitors stadia safety under laws brought in following the Hillsborough Disaster, and which includes representatives from the three emergency services, had already inspected Ibrox and had “no issues” with the stadium, in the words of a Glasgow City Council spokesman.

The group spotted King’s website remarks and delayed issuing the safety certificate until clarification was forthcoming – in turn, rumours began to spread that the stadium was unsafe.

The club was able to reassure the Safety Advisory Group and the certificate was issued – it had been due to expire later this month.

A city council spokesman said the council could confirm that Rangers “do now have the certificate.”

A spokesperson for Rangers said: “Rangers can state that Ibrox Stadium fully complies with the safety legislation and the safety certificate has been issued.”

http://www.thenational.scot/news/ibrox-issued-with-safety-certificate-after-roof-confusion.20333

Rumours... more like obsessed maniacs doing nothing but thinking about Rangers

Wonder what shite they will come up with next

Because there will be another one for sure,and it will continue!

100% agree with BlueFlag and Ian's dialogue. I recon when I'm qualified I will need to charge these clowns double for an hour of my time, as it is clear that I myself, will be in need of some form of psychological assistance after listening to whatever delusional crap it is that the television has told them to do or say that week!?

Pass the Valium please Matron...........

Edited by cooponthewing

I have seen photographs of a piggery stand where the roof is tied down (windbracing, I assume) by two very large vertical beams.

These are demountable, and are removed prior to the unwashed droving in.

it is clearly unsafe to leave the roof unsecured when the stand is empty, but not when full of sellikfans.

I thought this an unusual arrangement, and have never seen a coherent explanation. They are clearly not deadweight,

as they stand vertically, tying the roof to the seating deck, and possibly to elements of underbuilding/foundations below.

I have seen photographs of a piggery stand where the roof is tied down (windbracing, I assume) by two very large vertical beams.

These are demountable, and are removed prior to the unwashed droving in.

it is clearly unsafe to leave the roof unsecured when the stand is empty, but not when full of sellikfans.

I thought this an unusual arrangement, and have never seen a coherent explanation. They are clearly not deadweight,

as they stand vertically, tying the roof to the seating deck, and possibly to elements of underbuilding/foundations below.

I think the commonwealth games paid to fix that for them.

Rumours... more like obsessed maniacs doing nothing but thinking about Rangers

Wonder what shite they will come up with next

It may or may not surprise you to learn that in their little bubble they don't obsess on Rangers, it's us who obsess on them and comically this claim is made while, you guessed it, obsessing on Rangers. Irony doesn't seem to be a recognisable feature in the bubble.

One of the latest things to get them in a froth is nothing more than a discussion of playing styles and Scottish failure in Europe by a Rangers blogger which apparently passes as further evidence that all we do is obsess on them while they couldn't care less about Rangers.

And just one more comment on that, on the very same forum where they are claiming we are the obsessed they have a "sevco" thread running to over 117,000 non obsessional posts.

But anyway, their latest non obsessional raves are about this.

Rangers Record FC: Why can't Scottish teams replicate Mark Warburton's entertaining and dominant football?

A lot has been written and said about pragmatism since Mark Warburton arrived at Ibrox vowing to send the fans home happy with an exciting brand of possession football.

It seems that in the depressing world of Scottish Football, where the expected third force can be dumped out of Europe by the fourth best team in Malta, wine has been turned into water so many times that the denizens of our game have started to prefer the taste.

While the hammer throwers from Tyncastle or the kick and rush (the polite will call it ‘direct’) brigade from Pittodrie might snatch the odd victory due to the bounce of a ball, the Warburton way sees Rangers dominate games and if you dominate the ball and chances, most of the time you win.

A simple formula but one that some seem reluctant to fully embrace.

If you look at the top teams in Europe, many of whom adopt a style that Rangers will try to emulate, you won’t see them abandoning their principles against squads that are of inferior quality.

When the great European teams have come to Glasgow over the years we haven’t seen them suddenly adopt a different approach in the face of a dogged, aggressive opponent.

No, they simply hold on to the ball, dominate and more often than not walked away with victory. Brain almost always beats brawn.

There’s also the entertainment factor.

It’s an alien concept up here I know, in the land where a football manager can say “if you want entertainment go to the cinema” and see it laughed off as a sign of a slightly affected personality.

We need to wake up to the fact the generations behind us, living in a connected, globalized society are more and more inclined to reject the weird blend of parochialism, tribalism and unchecked madness we call our national sport.

When you can watch the elegance of Guardiola’s City or Zidane’s Madrid why waste your time with an approximation that barely qualifies as the same sport?

I’m sure that when Brendan Rodgers eventually gets past the utter ignominy of his defeat to the Blue Imps or whatever they are named and calls time on the likes of Scott Brown , a player who could only have made his name in Scotland given his utter inability to master the basic elements in a midfield player’s armoury, then I’m sure he will try to adopt a similar philosophy to Warburton.

With a 45k a week wage and a budget that dwarfs his rivals I can’t imagine there will be tolerance for a team playing anything less than silky football.

In fairness, should he implement the style he successfully maintained in his early seasons at Liverpool, we will have two fantastic footballing teams that can hopefully set the tone for the years to come.

However the Warburton/Rodgers battle plays out there’s little evidence either of them will change.

Football has moved on, it’s us that’s been left behind.

That’s why our teams are getting beaten every year by clubs we haven’t heard of, in what we used to sneeringly describe as footballing backwaters.

As we drift ever deeper down this river of shame, adrift and rudderless, perhaps it’s worth looking at what these two men are doing and adapting to it rather than expecting them to adapt to our disastrous status quo.