Gordon Smith’s Premiership Preview

I want them to fail to get to the CL group stages - who in their right mind would want them making that cash?

But i want them to make the Europa League group stages as there is very little to be made in terms of money, they'd still take hidings in all probability and they'd be playing catch up a to us after each weekday as their games would be moved to the sunday.

The biggest area of overall improvement we need to make is to win the tough away games. We absolutely failed to do this last season, losing twice at Easter Rd, losing twice at Falkirk, and also losing at Raith once. If we have 5 away defeats this season (esp if two are at the piggery) it will be very difficult to win the title as our main opponents will not lose a lot of games given the gulf in quality and resources.

We have tough away games this season at the piggery, pittodrie, Tynecastle, ICT, and we absolutely must play better in these games than we did in these type of fixtures last season. It was our outstanding home form that saw us safely home last season, and that will be important again but the key for me will be winning at these tough places. Does the manager need to change things for these games, or will we simply stick to our guns and hope we take more of our chances and defend better which was the route cause of our defeats last season. Of course we will have the odd bad day and lose some games, what we cannot afford is to always lose the big away games.

I want them to fail to get to the CL group stages - who in their right mind would want them making that cash?

But i want them to make the Europa League group stages as there is very little to be made in terms of money, they'd still take hidings in all probability and they'd be playing catch up a to us after each weekday as their games would be moved to the sunday.

The Europa League group stages is still worth between £8-£10M to them depending on the draw. We simply cannot afford for them to have this additional cash. If they fail to make the group stages, they then need to sell off their best player(s) in Jan, instead of bringing in more quality for the run-in. While seeing them get gubbed by also-rans every other Thursday is a good laugh, this season we need to try to bridge the financial gap as much as possible given we have no Europe at all and no merchandise income.

The one good point is as you rightly say they are always going to be playing Sundays and gives us the chance to put pressure on by winning on the Saturday.

BTW, I am still of the opinion that we may have more joy in the away games this season, as these Premiership teams will a more open game than those of the Championship. At least at the beginning. And in players like Forrester, McKay, Waghorn and O'Halloran, we have exactly the right guys to punish them on the counter.

Edited by der Berliner

The biggest area of overall improvement we need to make is to win the tough away games. We absolutely failed to do this last season, losing twice at Easter Rd, losing twice at Falkirk, and also losing at Raith once. If we have 5 away defeats this season (esp if two are at the piggery) it will be very difficult to win the title as our main opponents will not lose a lot of games given the gulf in quality and resources.

We have tough away games this season at the piggery, pittodrie, Tynecastle, ICT, and we absolutely must play better in these games than we did in these type of fixtures last season. It was our outstanding home form that saw us safely home last season, and that will be important again but the key for me will be winning at these tough places. Does the manager need to change things for these games, or will we simply stick to our guns and hope we take more of our chances and defend better which was the route cause of our defeats last season. Of course we will have the odd bad day and lose some games, what we cannot afford is to always lose the big away games.

Agreed, however that squad was put together to get promoted,they done that with ease!,on their game we knew they were a match for any team and proved it over the season. The squad has been strengthened with quality players and there is more competition which will mean every player having to be on top of their game,so I don't think the away results that you mention can be compaired to this squad!,we have improvement all over the pitch with a strong squad. I'm looking forward to this season,very exciting!.

Last seasons SPL was won with 4 losses and that was an SPL with no visits to Ibrox. And you have to guess that if a team which finished 4th in the league in Malta can win at Tynecastle it's not such a big ask.

Agreed, however that squad was put together to get promoted,they done that with ease!,on their game we knew they were a match for any team and proved it over the season. The squad has been strengthened with quality players and there is more competition which will mean every player having to be on top of their game,so I don't think the away results that you mention can be compaired to this squad!,we have improvement all over the pitch with a strong squad. I'm looking forward to this season,very exciting!.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it is the one part of our season that was really poor, and I am hoping the manager will be more aware of this for this season.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it is the one part of our season that was really poor, and I am hoping the manager will be more aware of this for this season.

But that is my point,he is aware of that,he has strengthened accordingly!,of course time will tell if it is good enough,but I think we can all agree he has addressed it.