Neil Doncaster on the 'blockbuster' return of the Old Firm...

...winter break and overseas games.

NEIL DONCASTER insists the ‘blockbuster’ return of the Old Firm is MASSIVE for our game.

The Glasgow giants have met just twice in four years since Rangers’ financial collapse in 2012.

But after Gers clinched Premiership promotion, Mark Warburton’s side will go head-to-head with Celtic at least three times this season as the pair battle for Premiership glory.

And SPFL chief Doncaster has welcomed the return of the powderkeg clash.

He said: “I think there’s a huge sense of anticipation, of excitement, looking forward to the opening weekend of the Ladbrokes Premiership.

“There’s clearly the return of real box office with the likes of Brendan Rodgers at Celtic and the likes of Joey Barton at Rangers so I think there will be a lot of people tuning in, not merely in the UK but all around the world.

“We’ve got over 100 countries now taking the rights to our games all around the world looking forward to the season ahead.

“It’s massive. It’s the one game that perhaps defines the Ladbrokes Premiership around the world.

“You’ve got the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen who have run Celtic close in recent seasons and certainly I think we’re expecting a real tussle for the top this year.”

Fans have already turned out in their numbers this summer in the new-look Betfred League Cup.

And Doncaster expects interest in the Scottish game to rocket this season with the return of the Glasgow derby.

He said: “We’ve had the opening stages of the Betfred Cup already this summer and we’ve seen good attendances for that.

“We’ve had an increase in attendances over the last season, looking forward to this season and the return of the Old Firm.

“I’m absolutely sure that attendances and viewers numbers this year will be huge with so much to play for.”

This season will also mark the return of the two-week winter break.

Doncaster added: “It’s something a lot of people wanted to see.

“The weather in Scotland isn’t the best in January.

“But there is a view with so much fixture congestion around, that the players need a break and to give them two or three weekends off in January to prepare for the second-half of the season, a lot of people thought that it would help both players and supporters and we’re certainly looking forward to seeing how that works this season.”

The SPFL chief exec claims the two-week rest can help Scottish clubs compete in Europe.

He said: “The European coefficient is really important.

“We’ve got Aberdeen and Celtic who take forward our hopes in European qualification this year.

“So hopefully the winter break can help that too.”

Doncaster also backed plans to play Premiership matches abroad.

But after Celtic and Dundee were in talks last season to play a league match in the USA, he revealed no official move has been made.

He told Sky Sports: “It’s really for any club that wants to take a game overseas to come to us for an application.

“We haven’t yet had an application but I do believe it’s important that we have an open mind to anything that’s innovative, anything that promotes our game around the world and the idea of a league game overseas is certainly an exciting one that we would have to look at with an open mind.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7219596/Neil-Doncaster-on-the-blockbuster-return-of-the-Old-Firm-winter-break-and-overseas-games.html

If Brendan Rogers and Joey Barton is all we've got to be excited about then we're really struggling.

I appreciate it's Doncaster's job to be positive but the Scottish game is only box office 4 times a season and, even then, the quality of the action is average at best.

What Scottish football needs is a reboot, starting with the removal of that chump.

But after Gers clinched Premiership promotion, Mark Warburton’s side will go head-to-head with Celtic at least three times this season as the pair battle for Premiership glory.

I'm guessing he thinks sellick might not make top 6 at the split.