Celtic face yet another UEFA rap as fans fly Palestine flags

Yobs condemned after attack on Jewish graves in Belfast cemetery

By Staff Reporter

Published

27/08/2016

stone1.jpg

Thirteen Jewish graves have been damaged in an attack at Belfast City Cemetery in what a DUP MLA has described as a "dark day for the city".

It's thought a large crowd had gathered in the area at around 3pm on Friday with eight youths carrying out the attacks with hammers and blocks.

Headstones were knocked over and smashed in the attack.

DUP MLA William Humphrey said he has been in contact with the Rabbi and members of the Jewish community to express his revulsion.

"A graveyard is a sacred place and should be respected as such," he said. "And those responsible are guilty of a most heinous hate crime."

Stevie Corr, a local Sinn Fein councillor, said he was sickened and disgusted by the attack.

The Falls Road cemetery is maintained by the council and is one of the oldest public graveyards in Belfast.

Chief Inspector Norman Haslett added: "This is a particularly sickening incident, which we are treating as a hate crime.

"To disturb the sanctity of a cemetery in this way is completely unacceptable and I can assure the public that we will conduct a robust investigation in a bid to bring those responsible before the courts.

"I have already liaised with local representatives and I will continue to do so regarding this and other issues relating to anti-social behaviour in the vicinity of the cemetery.

"I would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time and witnessed this incident, or to anyone who has any information whatsoever that could assist in our investigation to contact police on the non-emergency number."

It is not yet clear if the incident was an anti-semitic attack or the result of anti-social behaviour. Several youths had apparently been seen drinking and taking drugs in the vicinity of the attack.

Land was first acquired for a Jewish burial ground within the cemetery in 1871.

It was accessed via a separate entrance on Whiterock Road. Above the gate, which is now bricked up, you can still read the Hebrew inscription that marked this area of the cemetery.

Translated, it means "the house of life".

The Jewish area of the cemetery used to contain a small building used for the ritual act of purification, but it was destroyed by vandals in the 1970s.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/yobs-condemned-after-attack-on-jewish-graves-in-belfast-cemetery-34999264.html

​So up till now ...

Tuesday 2 August 2016 17.39CET

The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) has announced the following decision:

Match: 2016/17 UEFA Europa League, second qualifying round, first leg, Hibernian FC – Brøndby IF (0-1), played on 14 July in Edinburgh (Scotland)

Incident: Acts of violence against the referee – Art. 11 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations

Decision: The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided to suspend the Hibernian FC official Neil Lennon for five (5) UEFA competition matches.

and

Monday 22 August 2016 9.39CETUEFA

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League play-offs, first leg, between Celtic FC and Hapoel Beer-Sheva FC (5-2), played on 17 August in Glasgow (Scotland).

Charges against Celtic FC:

- Illicit Banner – Art. 16 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations

This case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 22 September.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/#​

UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Celtic

By PA Sport

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Celtic after some supporters displayed Palestine flags during their Champions League qualifier against Israeli side Hapoel Be'er Sheva.

The Parkhead club have been punished eight times in five seasons by the European governing body for supporter misconduct and face further sanctions when the case is dealt with on September 22.

A statement on UEFA's official website confirmed the "illicit banner" charges, which pertain to Article 16 (2) of the UEFA disciplinary regulations.

Dozens of Palestine flags were displayed during Celtic's 5-2 first-leg win on Wednesday, many of them in the new safe standing section at Parkhead.

Celtic were fined about £16,000 two years ago after a Palestine flag was displayed at a Champions League qualifier against KR Reykjavik.

The UEFA rule in question forbids the use of "gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any message that is not fit for a sports event, particularly messages that are of a political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature".

Brendan Rodgers paid tribute to the club's 'great supporters'

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers was non-committal when asked earlier in the day about possible UEFA sanctions.

He said: "I leave that to the club. They have obviously, probably, had issues over a number of years with certain aspects of that.

"But it is nothing for me. I am looking forward to the second leg and going to Israel. I have never been there. It is a beautiful country, good people.

"I have worked with a number of Israeli players and they are always respectful so I am looking forward to the game."

When asked about the possibility of partial closure of Celtic Park for a future European tie, the former Liverpool boss preferred to focus on the positive aspects of the Hoops support.

He said: "I don't know. We have got great supporters at this club who are known worldwide and for us they are vitally important for us.

"You saw the game the other night. It is genuinely a club where they make the team and give the team that 12th man.

"We as a football club and a group of supporters have to ensure that that combination, the duet of supporters and players, that every game they play are together.

"Whatever comes from that (UEFA case) will come outside of that but what I know is that these are incredible supporters that back the team and we want to do the club proud and them proud."

Last Updated: 19/08/16 4:57pm​

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10543518/uefa-opens-disciplinary-proceedings-against-celtic-over-flags

I note that Ruth Dudley-Edwards in today's Belfast Telegraph links the vandalism of Jewish graves directly with ra Yahoos anti-Israel demonstration before the Ber shava game. I can see Hamas issuing another letter of congratulations to the Green Brigade.

Do not expect anyone involved in either the Scottish broadcast or print media to report either of the above, let alone amplify it.

I note that Ruth Dudley-Edwards in today's Belfast Telegraph links the vandalism of Jewish graves directly with ra Yahoos anti-Israel demonstration before the Ber shava game. I can see Hamas issuing another letter of congratulations to the Green Brigade.

Do not expect anyone involved in either the Scottish broadcast or print media to report either of the above, let alone amplify it.

As Professor Tom Gallagher, a Catholic unionist, put it: “Hamas’s militancy against an alleged oppressor is celebrated just as the IRA’s terrorist operations were defended by a vocal minority of Celtic fans a generation ago.”

His criticism is echoed by the Scots Catholic composer James McMillan, who speaks of their hatred as being “encouraged by edgy, lefty ‘celebs’ who urge the young, semi-educated fans to be radical daredevils like them.”

Pleasingly, Uefa — which bans “messages that are of a political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature” — takes a dim view of such flag-waving.

It fined the club £16,000 for a similar offence two years ago.

In protest against critics, fans have crowd-funded £160,000 to date to pay the latest fine and contribute to Palestinian charities.

Unlike Rangers fans — who are this time on the side of the angels — they show no concern about the shocking treatment by Hamas of women, gays and non-Muslims, which is similarly ignored by those who desecrated Jewish graves in Belfast City Cemetery on Friday.

It’s about time the Catholic Church took a firm stance against such behaviour and uncoupled its creaky wagon from the SNP, Celtic and the old-fashioned, tunnel-visioned nationalism that still exists among northern republicans but is being left behind in the Republic.

Wonder when a Scottish journo has the guts t write something like this ...

Celtic fans may be idiots, but I will still defend their right to wave flags

There was a spectacular stench of hypocrisy surrounding Celtic fans' determination to fly Palestinian flags during their recent Champions League match against Hapoel Be'er Sheva.

Go To

Fans had been warned by the club and Uefa that Celtic would be fined if there was a repeat of the stunt which saw them penalised to the tune of about $20,000 for similar behaviour two years ago against a team from Iceland.

They flew them anyway.

In advance of the incoming Uefa fine, which will be announced next month, supporters have raised the expected figure and more, and have insisted they will continue to fly that particular flag.

It's a scenario which could well become an issue for Dundalk in the forthcoming Europa League, as the league champions also boast a section of fans who like unfurling the Palestinian flag during matches.

Having drawn Hapoel Tel Aviv in their group, sensible fans of the Lilywhites will have been paying close attention to the Celtic situation and hoping they don't see a repeat.

Trying to explain the political and historical reasons why Celtic fans have picked the wrong side in an intractable conflict is futile.

After all, if they had wanted to show solidarity with a regional minority surrounded on all sides by people who want to kill them, they would be flying the Star of David.

But they have picked their side and as ridiculous as that choice may seem to people who have an opposing view, it's precisely those of us who hold that opposing view who should be arguing for their right to fly the flag if they want.

Leaving aside the laughably naïve arguments from the controversial Celtic supporters group The Green Brigade about why they do it - after all, they've shown enough support for the IRA, so it should be no surprise that they also support Hamas - the problem with banning one flag is that you then have to ban them all.

In a worrying sign of the times we live in, it's not unusual to see flags of a country which has been hit by a terrorist attack displayed at a match - we saw American flags after 9/11 and there were plenty of French tricolours at various grounds following the Bataclan attack.

Should they be banned as well, because they are 'political' in nature? Should Spurs and Ajax fans be banned from showing their traditional support of Israel?

If the fans had been waving, say Isil banners, or showing some other public sign of support for a proscribed terrorist organisation, then there's an argument to remove them.

But they weren't.

Similarly, if they had been burning Israeli flags there's an obvious public order offence.

But as much as we may dislike it, they were, lest we forget, flying the flag of a state which is recognised by the Irish Government.

This ultimately boils down to old-fashioned liberalism and the idea that you don't have to like or agree with something to defend its right to exist.

Yet some of the very people who are the first to complain about censorship were happy to see the sanctions against Celtic - simply because they don't agree with the cause being promoted.

That's just not good enough.

We're living in a more fractured and binary society than ever before - people have retreated into their own groups and to even look at things from the 'other' point of view is seen as weakness or concession.

Nowhere is this more obvious than the perma-vexed Israel/Palestine question.

But once you get past the essential absurdity of a bunch of Scottish people masquerading as Irish people pretending to care about the Palestinians, you enter a true test of tolerance - either you're prepared to let them do what they want as long as they're not physically harming anyone, or you're not.

Personally, I think they're a bunch of idiots.

But in a properly functioning society, we don't legislate on the basis of someone's perceived idiocy.

There are numerous ways in which people can argue with Celtic fans but the only thing an official sanction achieves is bestowing on both the supporters and the Palestinians a form of revolutionary chic which neither deserves.

People can, of course, argue that the terrace is not the right forum for political statements.

But that might hold more water if the last few minutes before kick-off in European games weren't taken up by the captains reading public statements promoting whatever Uefa's latest pet project happens to be.

We're living in intolerant times, when people think it's right and proper to ban anything they don't agree with.

Well, I don't agree with the Celtic fans, and I won't agree with any Dundalk fans who wave that bloody flag in the Aviva.

But I will defend their right to do it.

Although any Lilywhites who pull that type of stunt on a street in Tel Aviv may find out that free speech often comes at a price...

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ian-odoherty/celtic-fans-may-be-idiots-but-i-will-still-defend-their-right-to-wave-flags-35005938.html

While agreeing there are complex factors involved when speaking of 'all flags' as an example I think it's pretty obvious there is something more than flag waving going on when firstly you consider who is waving the flags as in a group with a history of supporting terrorist groups and when the flag waving takes place as in when facing an Israeli team.

Waving a flag that is in support of a terrorist entity ie hamas who are declared to be a terrorist entity by both the US and the EU and who have an openly stated agenda to genocide all Jews globally. Would it be acceptable to wave Nazi flags when facing Israelis?

[video=youtube;2H8HFb-YG00]

• 2 weeks later...

BTW ... that's their rules:

Corporate Ground Regulations

Celtic F.C. Ltd (the “Club”)

Celtic Park Ground Regulations (the “Ground Regulations”)

All persons entering Celtic Park (the “Stadium”) are admitted subject to the these Ground Regulations, Celtic FC’s Rules on Unacceptable Conduct, the Club’s Social Mission Statement and to the applicable Rules and Regulations of The Scottish Football Association, the Scottish Professional Football League and/or, where applicable, the Regulations of the FIFA/UEFA Competitions. ENTRY TO THE STADIUM SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE UNQUALIFIED ACCEPTANCE OF ALL THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS.

1. All matches are played at the Stadium in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Scottish Football Association, the Scottish Professional Football League, and where applicable, the Regulations of FIFA/UEFA Competitions.

http://www.celticfc.net/pages/corporate_groundregulations

Corporate Unacceptable Conduct

UNACCEPTABLE CONDUCT AT CELTIC PARK AND AWAY FOOTBALL STADIA

Celtic Football Club will not tolerate unacceptable conduct at Celtic Park or at away football stadia.

Unacceptable Conduct is conduct which is violent or disorderly.

Violent conduct includes any actual, attempted or threatened physical violence against any person, or intentional damage to property.

Disorderly conduct includes:

Conduct which stirs up or sustains, or is likely or is designed to stir up or sustain, hatred or ill will against or towards individuals or groups of people based on their membership or presumed membership of the following categories:

Gender, colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin

Membership or presumed membership, of a religious group or of a social or cultural group with perceived religious affiliation

Sexual orientation

Transgender identity

Disability

or against an individual who is or is presumed to be a member of such group.

Using threatening, abusive or insulting words or conduct.

Displaying writing or any other thing which is threatening, abusive or insulting.

Using words or conduct or displaying any writing or other thing which indicates support for, or affiliation to, or celebration of, or opposition to an organisation or group proscribed in terms of the Terrorism Act 2000.

http://www.celticfc.net/pages/corporate_unacceptableconduct