[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 59)

One of Mark Warburtons clichés is “we must look at every game and learn from it ”

Looking back on the first 3 games of the season I think we have certainly learned one thing. Teams in the premier league are in fact going to play against us with the exact same tactics as teams in the lower leagues did. Hamilton, Dundee and Motherwell have all lined up to defend in numbers with a 4-5-1 system. Most of these games have been played 30 yards from our opponents goal with a wall of 9 defenders for us to break down. Frustrate, steal a goal, shut the back door and frustrate some more is on the menu.

The difference is in the premier league they do it better. The players are fitter and very well organised. A 1-1 draw with Hamilton, a scrappy 2-1 win against Dundee and a last gasp 2-1 win against Motherwell are testament to that.

Another unfortunate thing we have learned is that our defensive frailties of the last few seasons are still there for all to see. Set pieces are a nightmare with players losing their opponents far too easily and ball watching instead of attacking the ball has cost us goals in all 3 games. That of course means we have to score at least twice to secure a victory. That is a feat that we are struggling to do through, a lack of a cutting edge, umpteen missed chances, good defending, and a catalogue of the so called professional fouls that referee's seem to let go unpunished.

Tonight we travel to Kilmarnock and for Killie to use any other tactics would be the biggest shock since Leicester City winning the English Premier league. As Gary Linneker may say If they use any other attacking tactics I will write my next preview in my underpants. Good nobody will see as it is not a pretty sight.

We will as normal be playing plan A. Get possession of the football, pass it around and try and break down the Killie defence. That fact is now set in stone. What Mr Warburton has to have learned from the last 3 games is: Why is plan A is not going to plan as it should be.

Another Cliché from Mr Warburton is: If we train good and prepare well we will be in a good place.

The thing is, not only do we know how we will play, other teams know the rigid tactics we adhere to. We are now amongst the big boys and they are also full professional players. They will also be training well and preparing good. Most of their training will be based to frustrate us and make our good place, not so good.

Given that both teams have trained well and prepared good then the difference to force a result lies in team selection, technical ability and the word I love, pitch geography. Technical ability is the easy one that puts Rangers in a clear advantageous position.

Team selection and pitch geography are actually very much linked together. I know we are only 3 games in and Warburton is trying to find his best formation but after 30 plus years in the metal industry I learned you can't cut an iron bar without a cutting edge. With that I have to ask is picking 3 defensive midfielders and a striker who drops deep the best option to finding that cutting edge. Our pitch geography regularly looks more like a U-shape rather than that sharp diamond cutting edge needed to carve through the opposition defence. Add to that the slow walking pace passing that 3 defensive players in the engine room generate then it all becomes too easy for the defence to soak up the pressure and even hit us on the break and get players into the spaces between the midfielders and our defence.

Another lesson that our coaching staff should have picked up on is how Kenny Millar came in from the left wing to the back post to score the winner against Motherwell. They should have placed Barrie McKay and Michael O'Halloran in a video room and let them watch a video of that goal a couple of hundred times over and over again. Don't get me wrong I think Barrie is a great player but that is one thing missing from his game. A will to bust a gut to get into a scoring position in the box. Have we ever seen Barrie McKay contesting a header at the back post? I can't remember one

Last season I criticised Wes Foderinham a lot but I have to say he has been excellent in the 3 games played and you could even say he has won us 6 of the points we have won, with some fantastic saves. He also looks a little more comfortable coming for crosses but that is a work in progress and given his height he should be able to make it a strong point of his game. He is still young and should grow in confidence of his own ability.

James Tavernier has also started to look like a reasonable defender although that has come at a cost of his attacking play. We have to accept there is no way we will get the same goal tally from him as last season.

Rangers have also added Joe Garner to the Squad. He is noted as an out and out scoring striker. Hopefully he will be that diamond cutting edge our team is crying out for. Warburton has stated he will certainly play a part against Kilmarnock but whether it is in the starting line up remains to be seen. I doubt it personally and think he will come on after 60 minutes.

I think and hope Warburton will have seen that Rossiter, Burton and Halliday is not working and will either play Kranjcar or Forrester as the third midfielder in place of Halliday. If Forrester is chosen then O'Halloran will probably play wide right and if Kranjcar is chosen then Forrester will play wide right.

Another factor to consider on team selection will be the Plastic pitch. This is the pitch where Martyn Waghorn was injured last season and will probably sway the manager not to play players returning from injury. In his press conference he stated that he hoped it would be well watered so he has obviously noted it as an issue.

I think the starting line-up will be:

Wes Foderinham

Tavernier Kiernan Wilson Wallace

Rossiter

Kranjcar Burton

Forrester Miller McKay

At the time of writing it has been rumoured that Philippe Senderos has been taking a medical and may be in the squad for the Kilmarnock game but I doubt even if he does sign he will play a role for this one.

Come Monday morning I hope we can quote one of Warburton's clichés and say"Top of the league! we are in a good place."

Edited by pete

I feel that on several fronts this game is an absolute must win and ideally be won convincingly. We must win it because title challengers are expected to win at places like Killie and we absolutely must win it to go to the midden top of the league and to maintain morale since this is the last competitive match before heading to the aforesaid midden.

I hope Garner plays a part and I hope he hits the ground running with a goal on his debut to get his confidence soaring before he too heads to the midden for the very first time.

Surely it wont happen again and at least we have a couple of weeks to get over any minor injuries it may inflict.

Waggy was out for -+2 moths if I remember right. It could have been an unlucky one-of injury but artificial pitches are renowned for causing injury.

Waggy was out for -+2 moths if I remember right. It could have been an unlucky one-of injury but artificial pitches are renowned for causing injury.

I agree he got a bad one but i'm guessing that surely such bad ones don't happen week in week out on such pitches because if they did then surely they wouldn't be allowed.

I have seen managers who decline to use some of their older players on such pitches because they feel there is a lot less give which is less forgiving on joints. And incidentally I was just thinking. Barton seems to fall down a lot. He might find that an uncomfortable experience if he falls down on plastic especially so if he gets a bit of skid into the fall.

With that I have to ask is picking 3 defensive midfielders and a striker who drops deep the best option to finding that cutting edge. Our pitch geography regularly looks more like a U-shape rather than that sharp diamond cutting edge needed to carve through the opposition defence.

I think that is the best description of Rangers start to the season that I have ever read. Summed up in two sentences! No problem with the mobile and rotating strikers, but that works best if the defence is following them and being dragged out of position. If their defence are all sitting behind the ball plus their midfield, our striker dropping into space to receive the ball is not going to hurt them.

I reluctantly agree with you iro Halliday. I was probably his biggest fan (have always loved the Rangers supporter who makes it as a player), but the combination has just not worked. If truth be told, I haven't been impressed with Barton either. Rossitter is the only midfielder that seems to have hit the straps from the get-go. In Holt's absence, Kranjcar may replace Halliday, but my guess is that MW will retain the same midfield again with Nico coming on around the 60th minute.

Rossitter is the only midfielder that seems to have hit the straps from the get-go.

Ever wondered if at least one of the reasons Rossiter hit it off so quickly is that he was playing through the Summer with England under 19's so he came to us already fully match fit and probably pretty much as fit as he can realistically be.

Must be heading towards older age but I find myself up at 4am most days but I will be up 1 hour earlier to watch this tonight and im looking forward to it. I think playing away from home suits us more at the moment as teams come to Ibrox and sit, at home there is more of a expectation on the opposition to attack and play more.

Not sure of the team news in full but Im hoping there is a change in the middle of the park. Halliday did wonders last season for us but unfortunately will probably be the one to make way.

I think Id go with this depending on availability:

____________________________Foderingham_______________________

Tavernier_____________Wilson____________Hill_____________Wallace

______________________Barton_________Rossiter___________________

______________________________Kranjcar___________________________

________Forrester_____________Garner________________McKay_____

Edited by Gribz