The Ragman's Trumpet.

Superb piece of writing

i'd include the Club Deck for discussion

25M approx. was it not to add 6,000 seats if i remember correctly

For almost six years, I did the RST presentations. We had several RSCs at a time in the Wee Rangers Club, travelled all around the country to individual RSCs, and even presented at NARSA in Naples and Las Vegas. The first year, I was looking for the finisher that would tip the audience over to, 'rid our club of Murray' mode. I thought the Club Deck saga was a bad deal for Rangers and it had MIM supplying the steel. As a conclusion, it laid an egg. Bears rationalised it as being good for Rangers, the Deck was aesthetically pleasing, it increased the capacity, and the concourse was first class.

The second year, we hit on Azure Catering Services and if a coach had been provided, Charlotte Square would have been stormed. Caroline Black saw the opportunity, Ibrox could seat over 1,000 for match day hospitality. The kitchens were in situ, had been paid for by Rangers, but were lying fallow for a fortnight at a time. Utilise the kitchens seven days a week and provide stadia catering all over the UK. She took the idea to Murray and the 95% equity holder in Azure became, David E Murray. At the end of three years, Azure was supplying 37 grounds(cricket, rugby league, speedway, ....... etc), the turnover was £14.5million, profit of £2.5million. Caroline Black extrapolated that the next three year period would see growth to turnover in excess of £40million, with an annual profit of £6million.

We had Nick Peel at retail at the time, and it was clearing a profit of £6.5million(second only to Man U in the UK). Those two several million pound profit pillars were going to keep a mighty fine roof over the old stadium. However, the catering profit did not go to the club. However, the club was responsible for the repair and replacement of the kitchens. In meetings with Murray, I suspect he was embarrassed by the success of Azure. Bain and McClelland were letting everyone know that David had decided to sell off the company. We heard a French holding company had bought it, registered in Nice. Of course, David was not so embarrassed that he would forego such profits, the majority equity was in the name of a Provencal vineter.

I have been a member of Bar'72 since the day it opened. I believe Azure continues to provide the catering? The food has an appealing look, but every time I am tempted, I hear that trumpet blowing.

Whats this all about ?

The Record had difficulty in securing a Bear to provide a weekly take/blog on all things Rangers. A lad from the Edinburgh area, Jonny McFarlane secured the gig and was presented as a Bear. After his take on the Scottish Cup Final aftermath, McFarlane was outed as a Hibee.

The Record had difficulty in securing a Bear to provide a weekly take/blog on all things Rangers. A lad from the Edinburgh area, Jonny McFarlane secured the gig and was presented as a Bear. After his take on the Scottish Cup Final aftermath, McFarlane was outed as a Hibee.

Only in Scotland.....

Only in Scotland.....

Serendipity!

My OP bangs on in part about ra Sellik having services provided by proxy from both the Record and BBC Scotland.

The Record scam with McFarlane is borrowed from BBC Scotland. Back in the day, they provided a platform for Fanzine Editors every weekend. Each of the then ten Premier Division clubs would be represented over a two hour slot. The likes of Jum Spence(The Final Huirdle), Div McDonald(Pie and Bovril), Gerry Dunbar(Not the View)............... were regulars. Again, BBC Scotland had difficulty securing anyone for the Rangers gig. Both George McGhee(Number One) and Mark Dingwall(FollowFollow) refused to legitimise an excuse to boot our club and support on a weekly basis. BBC Scotland found their answer in a Largs school janitor presented as, 'Jason - the h-u-n with a heart'. Over two years, we had to listen to a BBC Scotland Producer pretend to be both a janny and a Bear.

Whats this all about ?

The Rangers blogger for the Record is really a Hibs fan and some of his old tweets were put up on the social media. I think I read today Frankie puzzled him on it but got no answer.

26th congratulations on the OP - a masterpiece of prose

Couldn't agree more D'Artagnan! It's a great piece and not the first from 26th. You also pen some great pieces yourself. Tbh Gersnet is a fantastic place to come for some great writing from many posters and writers:thup:

Edited by cooponthewing

For almost six years, I did the RST presentations. We had several RSCs at a time in the Wee Rangers Club, travelled all around the country to individual RSCs, and even presented at NARSA in Naples and Las Vegas. The first year, I was looking for the finisher that would tip the audience over to, 'rid our club of Murray' mode. I thought the Club Deck saga was a bad deal for Rangers and it had MIM supplying the steel. As a conclusion, it laid an egg. Bears rationalised it as being good for Rangers, the Deck was aesthetically pleasing, it increased the capacity, and the concourse was first class.

The second year, we hit on Azure Catering Services and if a coach had been provided, Charlotte Square would have been stormed. Caroline Black saw the opportunity, Ibrox could seat over 1,000 for match day hospitality. The kitchens were in situ, had been paid for by Rangers, but were lying fallow for a fortnight at a time. Utilise the kitchens seven days a week and provide stadia catering all over the UK. She took the idea to Murray and the 95% equity holder in Azure became, David E Murray. At the end of three years, Azure was supplying 37 grounds(cricket, rugby league, speedway, ....... etc), the turnover was £14.5million, profit of £2.5million. Caroline Black extrapolated that the next three year period would see growth to turnover in excess of £40million, with an annual profit of £6million.

We had Nick Peel at retail at the time, and it was clearing a profit of £6.5million(second only to Man U in the UK). Those two several million pound profit pillars were going to keep a mighty fine roof over the old stadium. However, the catering profit did not go to the club. However, the club was responsible for the repair and replacement of the kitchens. In meetings with Murray, I suspect he was embarrassed by the success of Azure. Bain and McClelland were letting everyone know that David had decided to sell off the company. We heard a French holding company had bought it, registered in Nice. Of course, David was not so embarrassed that he would forego such profits, the majority equity was in the name of a Provencal vineter.

I have been a member of Bar'72 since the day it opened. I believe Azure continues to provide the catering? The food has an appealing look, but every time I am tempted, I hear that trumpet blowing.

26th do you have any more insight/detail into what occurred around 2005/2006 with regard to the Fraud Office "raiding" Rangers over the Boumsong?? transfer?