In Defense Of Joey Barton

The cameras pressed against the glass, flickering in their eagerness to get a glimpse. Barton was uninterested and instead has his attention squarely focused on his smartphone as the car slowly rolls away from Ibrox, red brick reflected in the car window. This was the coup of the summer; the transfer that would take us to the next level, solving our much maligned defensive problems. Granted many had reservations about his infamous past, but most felt Barton's experience and quality would shine through.

Fast forward three months and he's enemy number one. He was deemed the main culprit, the scapegoat, for last Saturday's drubbing at the hands of our nearest rivals, and now he has been banned from Auchenhowie. Many have said this was coming from his past misdemeanors, and are now using it to suggest he should be removed as he's not done much anyway ('Haters gonna hate!').

What had happened? Nothing except that time had done it's work, with cruel sobriety burning away that early optimism. The same frailties are still evident: the same exposed centre-backs; the same 'markers' running about like headless chickens at set-pieces. While last season we overcame these frailties by out-scoring opponents, thus far we've been unable to recreate that attacking potency that got us into the top-flight. Barton was the promised messiah sent to solve these problems -- the defensive anyway -- the missing piece of the puzzle. But perhaps circumstances are just outwith his control? Perhaps we have invested too much optimism and hope on the shoulders of one man?

Last Saturday was a bad day all-round, both off-field and on. (I will leave the off-field problems for those more qualified -- Frankie's piece last week neatly sums up the situation, and can be read here: http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/681-exploring-the-fundamental-dishonesty-of-scotland-s-sectarianism-industry) There is a tendency to find a scapegoat after such a performance, a figure on which we can direct all the blame and frustration crackling under the surface, with old cliches rolled out ("There was no passion", "No energy", "The players didn't want it enough..." etc.) Those accusations are valid and certainly play their part, but I don't think they are quite accurate after this last game; it's too easy for these excuses to be bandied about. I felt we tried but just got it wrong tactically; the whole team was poor.

Barton was the scapegoat again, but I thought he was one of the better players that day. When I reluctantly recall that game I don't remember any individual performance of note: McKay, Wallace, Tavernier, Miller were anonymous; Windass had a few good runs, but didn't do much; Kranjcar was up-for-it but was off the pace and too rash at times; Garner didn't do much -- not his fault -- except score. Few players I actually remember doing much in the game.

But I do remember Barton. I remember several aerial duels, numerous blocks and tackles. The stats suggest he was one of our better performers, with 35 passes, tackles, aerials duels, 7 interceptions and several body-on-the-line blocks. Yes, he was caught on the ball a couple of times, green-and-white bodies swarming around him, but I think that was down to few passing options and a well-executed pressing trap from our rivals. He can get rid of the ball quicker but it's a difficult situation. The point is I remember him fighting.

A criticism I have is that the midfield structure doesn't protect or cover Barton -- or the centre-backs. The second goal is case in point. We open-up to play forward. Kiernan makes the first mistake by giving a simple ball away, and we're instantly on the back foot. Barton does the right thing by moving to press the ball-carrier, but fails. He would expect his midfield partner to cover his press by sweeping around to take his position, but Kranjcar is acres off leaving a large space in the centre of the pitch. Kiernan is caught in no mans land and a simple ball is lobbed over the defense. Senderos does the right thing by covering Dembele's run, but then ruins it by sliding in (ironically, I think we deal with the situation if he stays on his feet and forces a shot from a tight angle). It is an example of a series of small mistakes -- although Kiernan is certainly guilty of starting it!

There was a similar problem for Manchester United in the Manchester Derby, played at the same time as the Old Firm game. Fellaini, playing DM, was exposed time and time again through no fault of his own; Pogba just never covered. The DM needs to press the ball player/carrier, but needs a midfield partner to cover the space in-behind. Without which the defenders are sitting ducks. Pogba's former club Juventus had it right: Pogba bombed forward but Pirlo was always shadowed by Marchisio. Conte has brought the same principle to Chelsea, where Oscar has the freedom, but the DM (Kante) is closely shadowed/protected by Matic when he has to press. Rangers seem to have two advanced players that can't seem to recognise the danger.

This "bust-up" involving Barton has probably been a long time coming. While it's easy to say Barton is the main belligerent because of his colourful past, I'll wait to see what actually happened -- although a club suspension is quite a serious charge. His Twitter profile has often been used as a way of proving he does more talking than anything else, but I don't think he's done much on Twitter, except after that initial press conference at his signing. It has been built up by the press, out of all proportion -- it's almost as if they're trying to sell something?

I don't think it's a bad thing that he's speaking his mind. Of course unity is desired, but a group of mindless automatons doesn't benefit anyone. It shows he cares; it shows leadership. If Halliday is indeed the other player involved then we can be sure that any 'discussion' is for the good of the club. A frank, even heated discussion is nothing new in football, and should be welcomed after recent performances. How many times have Henry, Neville and Souness said during their punditry that in their day if someone wasn't pulling their weight they'd be pulled aside and told in no uncertain terms to 'buck up'. They lament the fact that player responsibility is disappearing from the game? Although I'd prefer it remain in-house -- difficult in this age of social media -- I welcome this bubbling over of emotions.

Barton is an easy target; he is visible and speaks his mind. His past still casts a long shadow, influencing any perception we may have of the man today. He's not been spectacular for us, but I always notice his presence on the field: always the main passing hub, always battling, challenging and making blocks and interceptions. I think he has been let down by a team that is just not clicking, and although he must take his share of the blame, I don't doubt his heart and influence. He is very much a love-him or hate-him figure. It may be that his Rangers career is threatened, but I hope not. It's disappointing that our 'dirty laundry' has been aired in such a public way, but I like the friction. I like the fact that the players are upset and as frustrated as we are. He has explained himself to the fans, he'll serve his punishment, and I very much hope a line can be drawn under these events; and that we can now move on to the next important game.

Up until Barton appeared on the radio, I thought the situation may be salvageable but I'm not so sure now.

Warburton knew what he was taking on when he signed the lad but now the ticking bomb has exploded, it's going to be fascinating to see how the manager clears up the mess.

Edited by Frankie

The radio appearance is not good, but it's just a response to all the conjecture flying around. I don't think he's done anything too wrong, really. He divides opinion, so "haters are gonna hate" no matter what he's done. I actually like the fact there's been a heated discussion/confrontation after our last game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Warburton knew what he was getting and I think -- hope -- that it'll be sorted out. Can you tell I like the guy?!

The radio appearance is not good, but it's just a response to all the conjecture flying around. I don't think he's done anything too wrong, really. He divides opinion, so "haters are gonna hate" no matter what he's done. I actually like the fact there's been a heated discussion/confrontation after our last game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Warburton knew what he was getting and I think -- hope -- that it'll be sorted out. Can you tell I like the guy?!

If the radio appearance was sanctioned, fair enough. If it wasn't then it becomes a problem.

The simple fact is Barton hasn't performed well enough. Now, that may be down to the tactics as much as anything else, but to me he doesn't look fit and his contribution has been poor. However, he's not the only one and perhaps only 2 or 3 players can really say they've played to an acceptable level this season.

A fall out is a fall out and I'm not fussy about that. But Barton's reaction, honest as it may seem, perhaps should have remained private though his point about his reputation is fair enough as well.

Everybody loves a scape goat!,the whole team have been poor this season,with maybe Wes,Tav & Miller playing to what they can,maybe if the rest of the players were at the top of their game it would help the likes of Barton?,seems to me like they are finding out about what it is to play for Rangers?,I'm not defending Barton here as we don't know what happened!,I just don't the scape goat carry on!