Warbs’ Selection Dilemma

Warbs’ Selection Dilemma

by Alice Hedworth

MARK Warburton will have a full squad to choose from this weekend for the first time this season.

The manager welcomed back Jordan Rossister to full-training on Sunday when the team returned from time off over the international break.

The Liverpudlian was the last of the injured players to return to a squad which has been hit by injury several times in the opening months of the Premiership campaign.

Speaking to Rangers TV Warburton said: “It’s good to see everyone back, it was pleasing to welcome Jordan Rossister back, and it’s been great work by the medical team to get him fit again.

“Matt Crooks will play for the 20s on Monday night, as will Matt Gilks and Lee Hodson and Lee Wallace are away on international duty.

“The squad is looking well and we have everyone back now, it makes selection all the more difficult but it’s a nice problem to have.

“Jordan will be available for the weekend but might be a week to 10 days away, in terms of making sure he’s 100% right.

“He has had two good sessions, two 90 minute sessions and he’s come through them exceptionally well but he’s a fit lad and his attitude is first class so we’ll see how he does over the next couple of days.”

With a full complement of players available Warburton thinks the Gers environment encourages players to work harder to make it into his plans.

Rangers travel to Inverness this weekend looking for an important away win and the manager says his players will be looking to impress in training this week.

Warburton said: “The players know they’re at a big club and the bigger the club you go to the bigger the challenges you have to face and deal with.

“There will be a bigger squad, there will be competition for places and it’s how you respond to that but the players’ attitude in general has been first class.

“It is head down and work hard, I have quoted Rob Kiernan before and Rob’s gone from starting a game to being 19th man but his attitude is to come in and work harder and that will hold him in good stead in the long run.

“There is no doubt that when you come in here you have to recognise the challenges you face but face them with a smile on your face – that’s all you can do.

“You come in here to a fantastic facility, you train well with a great group of players and hopefully your hard work pays off.

“The players in the lead up to the international break worked exceptionally hard, their data was very good, they deserved their rest and they got three days off.

“Some travelled, some stayed at home but they have all come back in good shape and have trained well so, touch wood, it has worked out well for us.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/warbs-selection-dilemma/

Edited by pete

Barton is suspended. If one reads earlier reports and updates on missing players (suspended, injured et al), their names and status are regularly omitted from game previews. One prime example would be Templeton last or Windass earlier this season.

BTW, wasn't there a mutual consent that we do not post full Rangers website articles on here ... so they get all the clicks?

There is one thing having everyone fit and available but id like to see a change in formation I think that could be the difference in turning good football into wins. We need to go on a winning streak in the league of 5 games.

4-5-1 is what we should play IMO. Call me old school but I hate this 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2. Football has 3 outfield sections defence, midfield, attack. This defensive midfield and attacking midfield numbers are garbage. Going forward 4 of the midfield 5 are assisting in attack.

I think MW is still working out his best team because he hasn't had enough opportunity to play the likes of Dodoo with Waghorn etc.

There is one thing having everyone fit and available but id like to see a change in formation I think that could be the difference in turning good football into wins. We need to go on a winning streak in the league of 5 games.

4-5-1 is what we should play IMO. Call me old school but I hate this 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2..

We don't play 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2.

We play 4-3-2-1 (which becomes 4-3-3attacking).

Two play wide one of which always seems to be Barrie McKay for some reason.

Playing one up front needs the right type of forward(a Diego Costa type). We don't have one IMO

Edited by RANGERRAB

We were all over the place in the front line against the Jags, which was rather disappointing*. Had we not had Holt, our attacking threat would have been even worse in the first half. So what I would be looking for is that players stay in their roles and are at the right spot at the right time. There's a reason why McCoist and Boyd got all their goals. I'm not exactly sure whether we actually play 4-3-3 on the park that often, as it is more like 2 at the back, one ahead of them, and the rest is attacking in one capacity or another.

Forrester, Windass and Holt all carry a good goal threat, but how do you accomodate them best is the question. Same goes for Dodoo and O'Halloran on the wings. Kranjcar as the main provider and passer needs a slot too. ICT will be a difficult game and I would not expect any great football, as they will try to block any sort of flowing football, stand on our attackers' toes and lump the odd ball forward to hit us on the break. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what I will see tonight between Germany and Northern Ireland.

*In that respect, the result, as welcome as it was, was rather surprising.

Edited by der Berliner

IMHO, we should play to our strengths whie looking carefully at our weaknesses. No matter what the resulting formation looks like.

Against teams that will dig in, we could very well adopt a 3-5-2 formation, as keeping track of the odd raid forward by the opposition does not require 4 defenders. As in: while we could very well start as a 4-3-3, in game we could by default allow either fullback to support the midfield once we are in possession of the ball, with the three chaps covering the defensive line. Thus we should be able to swamp the midfield and a) keep possession of the ball and b) create more options for e.g. Kranjcar to aim at.

Edited by der Berliner

As in: while we could very well start as a 4-3-3, in game we could by default allow either fullback to support the midfield once we are in possession of the ball, with the three chaps covering the defensive line.

Surely that's what happens already?