Rangers kid Billy Gilmour is ‘destined to play in the first team before he’s 17

Not exactly been following it so this is a pretty informative thread. :)

Yeah, I have been following it the last 3 years since my Club in Bermuda forged a relationship with Rangers otherwise I would be in the same position :D

I think the kids thing IS a numbers game... It seems totally unpredictable.

Not with all Clubs though Cal. Take Rangers for example (and admittedly we don't have the money to throw around like the EPL teams) - they very much have the philosophy that they are looking holistically at the children - they aren't ONLY looking at footballers but also their off-field personalities - the Club has this philosophy of "if you are an energy sapper then you shouldn't be here". I think a couple of years ago they released a number of very talented players from a particular age group because, despite their obvious football talent they brought off-field issues which the Club didn't want to fester throughout the Academy.

I think if you look at a number of other EPL clubs they also don't go down the Chelsea route.

I'm not blaming Chelsea at all, as it makes sense to grab up as many as you can - but my personal preference would be to go where the best coaching is for my development, not to the Club that simply spends the most money on the most players to give a better chance to the Club of ensuring that they get players that make it.

Wales dominated the second-half and in the end Scotland were lucky to hold on for a draw. I am not sure why Scotland replaced Cochrane of Hearts (Ithink) at HT as he was the best player. With him gone the Welsh could shut down Gilmour far easier. After Dembele came on it was a commentator drool feast. Every time he touched the ball there was an action replay that wasn't there for other good moves. He certainly was good on the ball but he was lost when moved to the strikers role. A terrible decision from the coaches to put him there as he is far too small for that and certainly not strong enough.

What I learned was, defensively we don't have much to say we have great defenders coming through although that is maybe unfair only having seen 1 game. Gilmour looks good but not near the first team yet but at 15 that is no question on his talent. Butterworth(?) looked really good as wellin the first half and had a good assist. As I said cochrane was the player who most stuck out for me.

I read Rangers let Cochrane go!!

On today's performance that is a pity. He won everything in midfield and passed it on simply to Gilmour or another free player. The midfield was far weaker without him.

Edited by pete

I read Rangers let Cochrane go!!

Hearts let Jason Holt go... but at an age where he was already a 1st teamer....

The moral of the story being as Ian said, happens a lot.

It isn't unusual at all. Plus, we also have to remember that players develop at different speeds at different ages !