[FT] Ross County 1 - 1 Rangers (Hill 8)

Respect seems to be the in word in football these days. To be honest even Mr Warburton can go a little bit in overkill when using it. If you watch any of the UEFA championships on the TV an advert is shown at every break about Respect. Respect the referee, respect the players and respect the other teams supporters. Totally correct and that is the way it should be.

Unfortunately when we talk about FIFA all talk about respect flies out the window. After 41 years of corruption under João Havelange and Sepp Blatter people were actually starting to think maybe we will get a FIFA we can respect. We all have high hopes that the corruption has gone inside FIFA and the new president Gianni Infantino will lead a clean ship. Then this week they have banned Scotland and England from wearing a poppy on their shirts on a match planned for Armistice day. That respect feeling for them sinks to the bottom of your football boots. A simple gesture on the players shirts to show our respect to the men and women who fought and died in two world wars and indeed wars since then, is considered political by FIFA. What should have been a simple nod of the head to give permission has become world news for all the wrong reasons, pouring bad publicity on FIFA just when they needed a lift. Mr Infantino should earn some of his 2,8 million salary(FIFA) here, and give all British teams their blessing to wear the poppy to respect our lost soldiers.

Thankfully UEFA have no problem with teams wearing a poppy on their shirt and Rangers will take to the field against Ross County on Sunday with the deep red flower proudly emblazoned in the middle of the chest.

Ross county, nicknamed the staggies, only entered the professional Scottish league setup in 1994-95 season. They stepped up from the Highland league and with being promoted to the SPL in the year Rangers entered the 3rd division, this will be Rangers first ever league visit to Dingwall. Our last visit there was in the League cup 15 years ago when goals by Shota Arveladze and Claudio Reyna gave Rangers a 2-1 win.

Our last game against them was this season in the league game at Ibrox where we came up against a dogged Ross County rearguard. With stiff defending and Rangers missing enough chances to win three games, the Staggies managed to walk away from Ibrox with a point as the game finished 0-0.

Ross County claim to be one of friendliest clubs in the country so that should make for a tension free visit to the The Global Energy Stadium for our fans and players. The only people they want to see daunted by the thought of entering their stadium is the opposition team. While Rangers will show them the highest respect, hopefully that will end when the referee blows his whistle at 12.noon to get the game underway. Broxi the bear will be hoping they are friendly and happy to see the kick-off as I don't think he will fancy a square go against Rosco the Stag.

With Rangers failing to hit form since being promoted, whispers could be heard coming from the shadows over Mr Warburton's capabilities to manage at SPL level. Then all of a sudden last Saturday against Kilmarnock the team put on a performance that was as good as anything we saw even last season.

Although the score was only 3-0 it could have been as much as 6, or 7 nil.

We got back to that early pressing game and regaining the ball high up the park. All of a sudden players who were off form started to show that they had not forgotton how the Rangers should be playing football. Kenny Miller played like a young puppy and Joe Garner looked as if he could become the striker we have all been hoping for. Michael O'Halloran was also impressive with his speed causing Killie all sorts of problems. While I mention these three the whole team put in a terrific performance.

As one sunny day does not make a summer this one result will only stop the whispering if it is backed up by a run of form that eventually detaches us from the rest of the teams fighting for second place and that European entry ticket that goes with it. Maybe, just maybe, we can even crawl nearer to Celtic at the top of the league. That form has to be repeated week in week out and Sunday is as good a time to show it was not a one day wonder.

I think the team will be the same as last week:

Foderingham

Tavernier Kiernan Hill Wallace.

Windass Halliday Holt.

O'Halloran Garner Miller.

I am not sure what position Miller was in last week or what the real formation was as Miller seemed to be everywhere but if we can get the same result and intensity of play then I am happy with that.

Ross county are a dogged team and will be well organised and difficult to break down. It will be a very difficult game. We should show them respect. Not too much. While on the park fight for every ball and hammer it into the onion bag

C'mon the Gers!!!

Edited by pete

I like the look of that team, Pete. Would like to see Forrester come back and start putting in a performance or two off the bench to pressure for a start. Dodoo too, as I think his pace and touch could work really well for us if we can get him firing.

Also hope McKay is rested completely. The lad needs a break.

This will be a tricky match,they all are I suppose as they all want to beat the Rangers!,however it's a match we want to win and I believe if we keep up the hard work we will win it keeping us in 2nd place going into the international break, if Partick beat the sheep at home tonight it will be a bonus!.

Same team as last week for me.

Edited by ian1964

Really should have pumped them last time

The hosts - without Joey Barton, who was sent home earlier in the week after an internal row - came close with a Josh Windass' effort cleared off the line.

Clint Hill was also denied by a goal-line intervention and substitute Michael O'Halloran headed off the bar.

Ross County's Jim McIntyre: "At times it was desperate for us, we had to hang in and graft and then you get that slice of luck that you need when you come to the big clubs.

Possession: Rangers 58% - Ross County 42%

Shots: Rangers 16 - Ross County 4

Shots on Target: Rangers 5 - Ross County 2

Corners: Rangers 14 - Ross County 1

Would be nice to get 3 points today and get momentum running. Despite being bottom I don't think Ross C are the worst team in the league.

Cant disagree with Pete's team, its probably players on merit.

Would hope that we keep the team from the last few games, even though I'd start with Forrester in left attacking midfield:

Foderingham

Tavernier - Kiernan - Hill - Wallace

Holt - Halliday - Windass

O'Halloran - Garner - Forrester

It wasn't as easy for the Yahoos as their 4-0 scoreline suggests, with 2 of their goals coming in injury time and County hitting the woodwork as well. Likewise, Gordon had to be at his toes.

They thus will probably play a little different than how they lined up at Ibrox, which will hopefull open up some more space for us up front. You'd hope Forrester, Windass and O'Halloran have their shooting boots on and will take any opportunity to hit them where it hurts early on.