A Little Hero in Blue

Josh.jpg.deff353e4a47f33b514eb116fc9d1fa5.jpg

It was a parent’s worst nightmare. What should have been a joyous occasion for Amanda and Mark Adair became a living nightmare, as a scan revealed a problem with their unborn baby. Further tests provided no succour, nor did the medical prognosis with doctors cautioning they did not expect their unborn son to survive pregnancy.

In a decision involving the exercise of both considerable faith and courage Mark and Amanda made the conscious choice to see the pregnancy through to conclusion rather than the medical alternative of termination. That courage and faith was rewarded in June 2011 with the arrival of baby Josh against all the medical odds.

Josh’s earlier scans had revealed he suffered from a rare and incurable disease called Jeune Syndrome which means he has short arms and legs, but more significantly, an unusually narrow ribcage which causes severe breathing problems.

The first month of Josh’s life was spent in an incubator and its fair to say his whole life has consisted of a series of challenges which he, with the help of loving and adoring parents and skilled medical practitioners at Great Ormond Street, has overcome time and time again to defy all the odds. Despite his tender years, Josh has already survived one heart attack brought on by infection as well as a series of difficult operations designed to expand the chest cage. Such operations involve the breaking of his ribs and replacing them with metal or latterly, titanium plates.

Despite his medical condition, Josh is a very happy boy bringing joy and inspiration to all who have the good fortune to meet him. He and his dad are keen Rangers supporters and Josh can often be seen adorned in his favourites colours.

Josh’s condition has now reached the stage where further medical assistance is no longer available in the UK but it is in the US. The estimated cost of this surgery is a staggering 100K but unsurprisingly that has not deterred either Mark or Amanda to get the best treatment available for Josh They have created a Just Donate page for Josh and have already reached 1/5th of their target. Josh’s page can be found here and is both an inspiring and heart wrenching read.

https://www.gofundme.com/joshuaburnsadair

For those of you who have already given from the Rangers family, Mark and Amanda are eternally grateful. All I would ask of you is that you share Josh’s plight with someone who is unaware of it.

For those in our family who were unaware I would ask you to consider a donation via Josh’s Just giving page.

Sometimes our heroes in blue are not necessarily found on the park.

I made a small donation as I faced a similar situation with a different illness and therefore have an idea what his parents are going through. One Hospital wanted to put my son to sleep after he was 2 weeks. I actually asked them if he could be transferred from Holland to Great Ormond Street for a second opinion Thankfully I got that second opinion in the Sofia Children's Hospital in Rotterdam and they came up with a series of operations that would save his life. The operations were so advanced at that time they had to be passed by an ethic commission. He will be 26 years of age in January. Miracles with the help of fantastic medical advancement do happen. I will say my insurance thankfully covered all my costs.

I will say if you can give a small amount then do so.

For those that Questioned my soft spot for Feynoord that is the connection. The Feynoord players regularly visit and do sponsored events for the Sofia Children's Hospital.

I just remembered this photo and we were discussing the tims always wearing their football tops everywhere a few days ago.:oops:

It has turned out okay for me and I wish Josh's parents all the strength they need to get through it.

kRggLHu.jpg

Nice one Pete I am lucky in that my grandson, who will be one in December, is now fine after having a worrying first few months being resuscitated at one stage by my son.

When these things happen it makes you realise how fragile life is and making small donations is not a big sacrifice.

Nice one Pete I am lucky in that my grandson, who will be one in December, is now fine after having a worrying first few months being resuscitated at one stage by my son.

When these things happen it makes you realise how fragile life is and making small donations is not a big sacrifice.

Until you enter a sick children's hospital you have no idea how many, and how sick some kids are. Although I was brought up only a few hundred yards from Yorkhill sick Children's hospital, I still had no idea until I was confronted with it myself. It was an unpleasant eye opener for me.

unfortunately getting through all the corrective operations is not the end of the story. Once you have a problem child then you have a problem child for life. They will mostly be on medicine and have hospital visits for life. Many will also need to go to special schools. The important thing is that they do have a life and you can watch them develop in stead of always wondering how he/she would have turned out.

I spent a lot of time in the sick kids Hospital when my daughter was young,one thing I learned is there is always someone else worse than you!

Totally agree with that Ian although I suppose people who lose their kids are all in the worst position.

Sadly I fall into the category of losing a child who was still born, and would have been 40 this year, and the pain still hurts as I was at the birth and seen a perfectly formed little girl being born.

Neither my wife nor I got the chance to hold her and although the medical profession at the time tried to find an answer they could not come up with one.

I am lucky to have two fine sons who both at birth had minor complications,not medical,after which I had the dreaded snip so that nothing serious could happen if my wife became pregnant again.

I have two lovely grandchildren girl and boy and a new lease on life at 66.:):)