Bigotry- Constructive engagement and positive strategy

Didn't get much of a chance to contribute over the weekend about the various discussions about the YouTube issue. Again, though it's amazing the double standards of the press when it comes to these grainy mobile phone videos and subsequent coverage.

However, no matter the obvious media problems we have, that can no way excuse the behaviour of our fans. F T P has no place in our songs and no place in our support at any game. To suggest it does is foolhardy and will end in the death of our club. The fen!an term is perhaps less clear but in any case UEFA have banned it's use and we have to follow their rules - no matter how hypocriticial some may be when complaing about it.

Now, we can all be upset at the unfair treatment we get from the media. We can also be upset at the lack of defence from the chairman of our club. But, we cannot ignore the fact we still have a reasonable size of our support (most accurately our away support) who are obviously suicidal.

The Billy Boys is creeping back. F T P is not going away. Red hand salutes are still fashionable amongst many home and away. This is all going to be reported and acted upon at some point - not just by UEFA but by the SFA from next season. Who fancies a 10 point deduction for next season? I don't. Not for some idiots in our support who can't learn their lesson. The next 2 years can see the Rangers modernise and improve. Or it can die. Melo-dramatic maybe. Sensational, perhaps. Realistic - too right!

However, we have to be very careful in how we approach this conundrum. Education and not always direct condemnation is the key here. Leadership is also required and we need help in getting the message across that the situation is dangerous and we need to change for the better.

As such, IMO, we - the fans and the tolerant majority - have to lead from the front. WE have to be more constructive in leading the fight against sectarianism and clarifying exactly what is expected from the support. The club won't do it. The RSA won't do it. The police won't do it. The politicians won't do it. The media crusaders won't do it.

Thankfully, I'm hearing that there are very positive signs of something happening regarding this problem. There are fans prepared to lead the way and there are some very imaginative ideas for combatting the bigotry issue amongst the small (but vocal) cross section of support. What will be needed though is support for these fans and support for the initiatives that may introduce.

Debating the partiality of the media and the authorities is certainly still relevant. But for that debate to have better credibility means we have to sort out our own faults. Let's hope we can do that together sooner rather than later.

The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I have absolutely no doubt that these "fans" will be the death of our club. UEFA will fine us, threaten to make us play behind closed doors, suspend us from all european competitions yet these fools will still sing the songs that have been banned. It's crazy!

What sort of kick do they get by doing this? They obviously don't understand the consequences because it's the same every game away in europe.

By the time they realise what they're doing to the club it'll be too late. :mad:

I have absolutely no doubt that these "fans" will be the death of our club. UEFA will fine us, threaten to make us play behind closed doors, suspend us from all european competitions yet these fools will still sing the songs that have been banned. It's crazy!

What sort of kick do they get by doing this? They obviously don't understand the consequences because it's the same every game away in europe.

By the time they realise what they're doing to the club it'll be too late. :mad:

Because they are as thick in the head as shite in the neck of a bottle :ffs: ,the away fans are the most guilty in this,but there are good away fans as well,there must be some way of stopping these idiots from getting tickets :confused:

Because they are as thick in the head as shite in the neck of a bottle :ffs: ,the away fans are the most guilty in this,but there are good away fans as well,there must be some way of stopping these idiots from getting tickets :confused:

Just as well you mentioned that or else you'd be getting a cyber punch right on the schnozzel :D

I've noticed a lot young kids singing TBB and doing the RHOU salute and in their case I think they're just trying to make an impression on themselves, their friends and any other sad cunt who does it.

Just as well you mentioned that or else you'd be getting a cyber punch right on the schnozzel :D

I've noticed a lot young kids singing TBB and doing the RHOU salute and in their case I think they're just trying to make an impression on themselves, their friends and any other sad cunt who does it.

as my good m8 Ian1964 said in the wee Rangers club on Sat, Rangers should say we don't want any away tickets for a season or that. Would hate doing that but it might sort it out and get through to these so called fans who can't stop singing these banned songs. It would also hurt other SPL clubs as well who are money grabbing bastards when they punt the ticket prices up for us and give us less when they feel like it or more when they can't sell their own home allocation!!!

:D

Another good article, Frankie

Do you think that there is a link between the continued singing of some, and the fact that our club NEVER defends it's own fans? Ok, let's be honest, and say that there are some idiots out there who will never stop until they are removed from the stadium, but i feel there may be others out there who see this as a protest against how poorly our club defends itself, and how we are portrayed in the press, etc ..... yep, it's a silly form of protest, but i still believe some people think like that

If we were stronger at defending our club, would we help the cause? Personally, i would say yes

I'd like also to compare two differing - but actually quite similar - situations:

The smoking ban came in around a year ago .... people just nipped off to the toilets to have a smoke. The stewards and cops just paid lip service to the ban, and i've been getting fed up for over a year of having to go into the toilets that resemble a smoke hut! However, on Saturday, it was clear that they do seem to have stepped up the action ... stewards were hanging around more, and i saw a few people getting nicked by the cops and getting their name taken. They had talked about taking season tickets from people too, and you can bet that if they do that with a handful of people then the number of people willing to risk it for a fag at half-time will reduce quickly, and dramatically. Ok, it won't go away totally, but it then makes it so much easier to catch the brain dead people that don't take a hint

Will it be a coincidence if this action means less people smoking in the toilet? Of course it wont, it will be the result of direct action taken by the club - you can talk and broadcast as many tannoy messages as you want, but it won't be enough. We need proper direct action from the club, and we need it now, and i'm talking about people being ** dragged kicking and screaming from their seats and having their seasons removed ... if we did this, watch just how quickly the problem will start to go away

Direct action and solve the problem, or sit back and watch us die ... your choice?

** Of course, that would mean common sense ... we need a clear outline of what is right and wrong and not end up with some jumped up wee security guy dragging someone out cos they have a UJ on display :rolleyes:

Yep, I think some of this is because the fans feel victimised mate. Other clubs get away with everything while we are pilloried every other day without defence from the club.

However, that doesn't make it right so we have to come up with a strategy or idea to improve matters.

I hear there may be some more info on this on Radio Scotland tonight.