Old forum favourite = going out on loan again?

Well, obviously Zelalem played in a deeper role and the main reason we signed Kranjcar (instead of Zelalem again) was because he could retain the ball and create further forward more effectively.

However my point still stands in that Holt, Halliday and Windass are different types of players who aren't quite as capable of taking the ball under under the high press and usually need an extra touch or two which kills momentum and removes space.

Edited by Frankie

I enjoyed watching him (Zelalem) play and I thought he brought a lot to the side. But absolutely no goal threat whatsoever ; total powder puff finisher. I think that will count against him in his career. Agree with Brahim, Niko was really bringing some class to our performances ....never fully fit , but in someways that probably made him use his head even more.

Just think what he could have done given another month or two of training, no player in this League could hold a candle to him.

Well, obviously Zelalem played in a deeper role and the main reason we signed Kranjcar (instead of Zelalem again) was because he could retain the ball and create further forward more effectively.

However my point still stands in that Holt, Halliday and Windass are different types of players who aren't quite as capable of taking the ball under under the high press and usually need an extra touch or two which kills momentum and removes space.

I don't think Gedion Zelalem played in a deeper role for us. We used him as an attacking midfielder with Halliday playing to the side or deeper. It seems that Arsenal are now deploying him in a deeper role because an attacking midfielder needs to score goals and he's scored two in the last five years, neither of which was at first team level. Kranjcar on the other hand is an out and attacking midfielder who often drifts into an auxiliary striker role and scores goals (one more in his few appearances for us than Zelalem has managed in his career).

Transfermarket rates Kranjcar about 5 times more valuable than Zelalem, admittedly before his recent injury.

Absolutely no argument that Holt, Halliday and Windass are vastly inferior players to Kranjcar. IMHO we cannot play 4-3-3 successfully without a quality attacking MF player and none of the aforementioned come into that category, As you suggest Kranjcar could take the ball and pass in almost one movement, then find 20 yards of space for the return; his colleagues were just beginning to realise that and give him the ball back. I lost count of the number of times he passed, found space and shook his head when they didn't return the ball. The one player we have IMO who might fill that role temporarily, albeit from a deeper position is Jordan Rosssiter. "Jordan is an outstanding young England youth international who will be an excellent addition to the Rangers squad," boss Mark Warburton told the club's official website. "Technically gifted (like Kranjcar) and game aware, he also has a first-class character.... (MW). Let's hope he gets fit some time soon. McKay is another option in that role but perhaps too lightweight.

Halliday seems to have regressed since I have been away, in the last two games he appears to be having great difficulty passing the ball to a Rangers player (no assists at all but a decent 5 goals in 21 games, albeit mostly penalties). Holt buzzes about to no great purpose (I goal and 1 assist in 13 starts) but has shown that he can be a goal threat (or perhaps his 10 goals in 32 Championship matches last season suggests he has not been able to step up a level). The same might be said of Halliday who had 11 goals or assists in 35 Championship games. Windass clearly has some talent and works extremely hard, perhaps too hard trying to impress; trying to find a killer pass when a simple ball would be the better option (noted his 3 assists came in two games v Kilmarnock, reputably our best performance and Ross County).

My feeling is that without Kranjcar or even Rossiter, we should go to a 4-4-2. Our most potent threats are on the wing, perm two from McKay, Forrester, O'Halloran to partner Holt and Windass. I think Halliday needs a rest. Some of his tackling is wild and he draws attention to himself constantly back-chatting the refs; he may well get an enforced rest quite soon. I'd try Miller and Dodoo up front for a few games. I suspect both will start on Wednesday but MW will stick rigidly to his 4-3-3.

I hope Kranjcar returns stronger as MW suggests; we'll need his quality if we get to Europe.