Old forum favourite = going out on loan again?

One to warm the hopes of many on this site (cough, splutter, can you just imagine....):

http://dailycannon.com/2016/11/update-gedion-zelalem/?

Back at the start of 2014, Gedion Zelalem made his Arsenal debut in a cameo appearance against Coventry.

Operating as a central midfielder on the evening in the FA Cup, it was sure to be a memorable occasion for the talented teenager – who impressed and had been tipped for excellence ever since.

Having remained in north London this summer, despite clubs declaring their interest in taking him on a loan deal elsewhere across England, seems to have been a beneficial choice for the midfielder’s development.

Playing in the newly-revised u23 Premier League, he’s one of the more experienced heads in an ever-improving Arsenal side who are all essentially fighting for the same thing: senior minutes with a view to a first-team breakthrough.

Having played six of Arsenal’s u23 league matches this term, Zelalem has mainly been deployed as a defensively-minded midfielder and done well there, usually alongside Ainsley Maitland-Niles or Ismaël Bennacer as part of an effective holding partnership protecting the backline.

It has evidently worked, meaning that the Young Guns concede fewer goals on average in Zelalem’s presence and have only lost once all season when he was involved, a 2-0 away defeat against Reading. Both goals were conceded after he was replaced on the hour mark.

Questions have been asked in the past about Zelalem’s suitability to a midfield role, as he didn’t look physically imposing on the pitch. Since then though, he’s been doing strength and conditioning training to improve and the benefits are there for all to see on the pitch.

Gedion turns 20 in the final full week of January and although he’s performing well at youth level, that’s genuinely unsurprising given his current ability.

Unless Arsenal go deep into the cup competitions, it’s unlikely that he’ll get more than a ten minute cameo appearance for the senior side. As beneficial as training with the first-team players is, it feels like another loan spell is in the offing for Zelalem as he continues developing with experience to play in a number of different roles across midfield.

Provided the right club is chosen for him, one where he’ll have an opportunity to play on a regular basis – but his place is not guaranteed – he can appreciate the rigours of competitive football, just like he did in Scotland with Rangers last term.

I actually think we've missed the lad in some respects.

Yes he didn't appear to do a whole lot at times but what he was capable of doing was taking the ball in under pressure and using it well. Before his injury Kranjcar was starting to do the same job (with more of a goal threat also) and since he dropped out of the team, we've not been as capable on the ball in midfield areas.

Oh, I liked him. Kept his head and kept us playing at times when all around him were lost. I just recall some in this board being obsessional against him and was being a bit devilish.

Someone with a cool head under pressure and stronger than his slight frame would have you believe.

I felt he got unfair criticism. It is hard to see where he will be able to fit into Arsenal's midfield but if they keep him as a defensive midfielder I can see him doing pretty well - he does a good job of cutting off angles, is comfortable on the ball, can see a pass and has good movement. Not a goal threat so DM is his best position.

He certainly couldn't be any worse than Elneny...... though he would struggle to displace Xhaka.

I actually think we've missed the lad in some respects.

Yes he didn't appear to do a whole lot at times but what he was capable of doing was taking the ball in under pressure and using it well. Before his injury Kranjcar was starting to do the same job (with more of a goal threat also) and since he dropped out of the team, we've not been as capable on the ball in midfield areas.

I don't think we've missed Gedion Zelalem and I don't think you can compare him with Niko Kranjcar.

Gedion Zelalem played 1704 mins in 28 appearances for us last season and had 8 assists and no goals. Kranjcar played 765 mins in 15 games for us and scored 3 goals and had 3 assists (agree a slightly lower assists rate) this season before his unfortunate injury. More importantly perhaps it was a joy to watch his beautiful football and his football brain in action; unfortunately none of our other players are on the same level, but some were beginning to catch on and pass the ball back to him after he passed it to them and found space. I think you would agree that he was getting stronger (and consequently playing longer) in his last two matches vs Thistle and in my opinion was outstanding at Inverness, hunting all over the pitch to get the ball and make passes. He's scored a goal roughly every 7 games throughout his career and a goal or an assist roughly every 4 games. He's also scored 14 goals and had 7 assists in 74 games for one of the top international football nations. Kranjcar passes the ball forwards and takes risks to try to break through defences; Zelalem did most of his best passing backwards or sideways.

Don't take my word for it listen to Warburton: “Niko has the mental fortitude to come back. Anyone who saw him against Inverness, against Partick [and] anyone who had seen him training will know all his hard work was paying off. “He was getting stronger and dominating games. He’s got the ability with his technique to control games and he was doing that. Against Inverness he strolled through 75 minutes and that’s the biggest frustration. “He’s a well-liked guy. The physio said when he got injured on the park it’s the first time he had seen every single player – to a man – come over and check how he was. It shows the respect people have for him. “It’s a blow. There’s no point masking that. We knew what he could do. We couldn’t predict the timescale it would take for him to get where he wanted but every day he did extra in training. “He went back to see his family in Croatia and worked with a fitness coach and produced heart-rate data every single day. He was seeing the fruits of that so to lose that calibre of technical player is a blow."

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/warburton-plans-future-without-niko-kranjcar-and-joey-barton-1-4276331

I wish Gedion Zelalem all the best but I don't think he will ever make it as a top class football player.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Yes, I admit that I thought "goal" when I saw that you had replied to the thread :)

However, I agree with you re Niko and although I don't agree with you re Zelalem I would never put him on the same plane as Niko. We were so unlucky there.

Edited by SteveC

Zelalem is 20 in a couple of months & is nowhere near Arsenal's first team.

Tells you all you need to know. He has no future at Arsenal.

He has to get first team football somewhere but as Dominic Ball found out it's all about making the right choice.

I enjoyed watching him (Zelalem) play and I thought he brought a lot to the side. But absolutely no goal threat whatsoever ; total powder puff finisher. I think that will count against him in his career. Agree with Brahim, Niko was really bringing some class to our performances ....never fully fit , but in someways that probably made him use his head even more.