Even finishing 4th will be good enough this season.

Warburton had a good first season chaps and we were all excited by the prospects. We played some good football , achieved our key target, got to the Scottish cup final and KOd Celtic on the way. He deserves time to adjust to the higher league but European football in this league with our budget is a reasonable expectation so that would be 3rd or the cup as a minimum requirement. But we also need to see some improvements in the way we are playing and some of these players are not able to play technically difficult football. I'd rather try and play technically better football (which to his credit he is trying to do) in the hope we can get it right than resort to being a Hearts+ type of side. To do that we need to have a cash injection. The alternative is to accept we will NEVER compete reasonably in Europe again because we are not taking the opportunity to reform our style of football during what we may look back in as a golden opportunity to do so I.e. When we are realistically not in competition with Celtic (no I'm not a Tim). This era when realistically we do not have the resources to challenge Celtic is the time to restructure or style and hopefully in 2 or 3 years we can build a brand of football that they (Celtic) cannot compete with.

Btw Mccoist (I can have hardly mention his name these days) was paid a fortune, he spent significant money on a lazy transfer policy and took us nowhere in terms of developing our football style. If we go back to that now I will seriously give up after 50+ years and years can guarantee we will never achieve anything in Europe again. The results of Scottish football at club and international level prove we have a rubbish football standard.

He does need to adjust tactics to some degree in matches against the top teams as you always have to win the battle first. I am not clear why he cannot develop the overall style of play whilst switching to a front 2 or 3 of Miller and Dodoo playing off Garner when required but the main problem is these players seem unable to keep position against average teams like Hearts. If we want to keep trying to play decent football it cannot be with some of the players we currently have. In that sense Warburton is not using available resources effectively but he deserves the a chance to fix it IMO.

Let's judge warburton at the end of the season and give him our support at least in the short term (as I know we do) to reach that European objective.

Yesterday's was a bad result and a poor performance (by all accounts - I didn't get to see it). The current team has thrown out a few stinkers this season.

The performance in the next couple of games is now of critical importance - if they respond, bounce back and pull out two good wins against the two main challengers for second then we'll be in decent shape. If the confidence drops, and we slip down the table then we'll be on course for a failed season and some kind of change will have to be made. The situation as it stands is not ideal but we're not in the realms of disaster yet either. The season hangs in the balance.

Aye so do I. We were second yesterday.

I just don't think it will be easy

I didn't see the match GS so am going on reports. As you have all said it was abysmal, I believe it was abysmal. We have been abysmal for weeks. If we are honest, it looks like many of them chucked it weeks ago. I still think a lot are either carrying scars mentally or have taken a look at what's bubbling sinisterly under the surface up here after SC and decided "f**k this".

Struggling why anyone is happy to settle for 3/4th when DK has said he expects 2nd? Make no mistake when a chairman indicated his expectations for all to see at an AGM, that with this budget and players he expects second, if they are not realised or look like the they will be, MW, imo, will go.

It seemed to me DK was impressing upon us all the financial obsticals that we would face should we not qualify. Second place is what he expects and third may not save MW job although it would qualify us for Europe.

I agree that we should not expect to be near them but I have to laugh at Rodgers being a top class manager. The guy is a laughing stock.

He is a very good manager. His teams can be liable to dips, but I suspect it's just you who thinks he's a "laughing stock" (as a manager. As a person he's a bit of a weirdo).

Anyone who thought we would even be close to them with all our problems whole they are out hiring top class managers was kidding themselves or knows very little.

As you are passing judgement i will let you judge. It was never thought that Brenda would make such a difference. You can indeed see the difference a manager can make. He only bought 2 players but he got the rest of the team totally rejuvenated.

As you are passing judgement i will let you judge. It was never thought that Brenda would make such a difference. You can indeed see the difference a manager can make. He only bought 2 players but he got the rest of the team totally rejuvenated.

Should have been obvious to anyone.

Hearts finished third on a fraction of our budget but probably higher than the 9 of the teams and lower than Aberdeen. We have multiples of Aberdeen and Hearts on budget, not just 10% or something. Our budget is a hammer to crack the nut of second.

We have gone through a lot of shit, but on the pitch, I don't see how it affects us more than Hearts have been affected. It's still a game of football and there is minimal off-field crap to deal with.

It's funny how these arguments did't come out when McCoist was manager, when they were actually infinitely more relevant. In fact it was quite the opposite.

For him being second to Hearts with no transfer fee spending while the guts were being ripped out the club by the old board and Llambias and during a fan boycott was unacceptable, but give Warburton a decent board, total fan backing, a budget to play with, good optimism at the club and it's suddenly fine to finish behind them and Aberdeen?

It makes absolutely no sense. If McCoist was given a bit more slack then maybe I'd understand the arguments.

In the end McCoist wasn't good enough, neither is a manager who finishes 3rd in the club's current shape and budget.

I'm not disagreeing overall but I'm not sure if you have the budget difference with Aberdeen accurately here. Does anyone have the figures? I seem to recall ours being bigger but not being "multiples of..." or "a hammer to crack a nut".

My memory being what it is, I stand to be corrected...........

Edited by SteveC