Souness would have left us in 89 and not for Liverpool

33 years ago Alex Ferguson turned the Rangers job down when John Greig resigned...Fergie had his eye on Man U even then. A week later Jim McLean knocked us back for the same reason. So we got 3rd choice (treble hero) Jock Wallace from Motherwell.

He won us the League Cup in 1984 and 1985 then won fa the following season. Souness came in and completely turned us around, suddenly we were back and Fergie's Dons were put to the sword.

Sir Alex got his dream job at Utd soon after and proceeded to win nothing, Souness was looked at to replace him but they decided to stick by Ferguson, the rest is history.

Meanwhile Jim McLean who hadn't won anything since 1983 was introducing us to the world of Reality TV...:laugh2:

Was Jock Wallace the third choice to replace John Greig back in 1983??????

I always thought Wallace was fourth choice.

Bet you can't name the guy who was third choice?

Edited by RANGERRAB

33 years ago Alex Ferguson turned the Rangers job down when John Greig resigned...Fergie had his eye on Man U even then. A week later Jim McLean knocked us back for the same reason. So we got 3rd choice (treble hero) Jock Wallace from Motherwell.

He won us the League Cup in 1984 and 1985 then won fa the following season. Souness came in and completely turned us around, suddenly we were back and Fergie's Dons were put to the sword.

Sir Alex got his dream job at Utd soon after and proceeded to win nothing, Souness was looked at to replace him but they decided to stick by Ferguson, the rest is history.

Meanwhile Jim McLean who hadn't won anything since 1983 was introducing us to the world of Reality TV...:laugh2:

Jim Mclean had his eyes on Man Utd - really? I never heard that before. I thought Ferguson said no due to not being able to sign Catholics (urban myth?) or because we'd insulted his wife for being one/asked why he'd got married in a chapel or something like that - I seem to recall him talking about this.

Edited by SteveC

Was Jock Wallace the third choice to replace John Greig back in 1983??????

I always thought Wallace was fourth choice.

Bet you can't name the guy who was third choice?

Pretty sure there wasn't another choice after McLean and before Wallace, tell us anyway.

I recall reading in the Scottish press (and so not the most reliable source) that Ferguson had talks with Rangers about the position.

Ferguson reportedly said that he had taken Aberdeen as far as he could with Aberdeen on their budget and what he wanted was a large and sustainable budget to allow him to build a team that was capable of not only winning the league and cups but also to become a force in Europe.

Secondly, he wanted to sign anyone he liked, no matter their background and religion. Basically he wanted what Souness was eventually offered a few years later.

Rangers said no and offered what was given to Jock Wallace.

He was then offered what he wanted at Man U, three years later, just after we gave what he wanted to Souness.

The other aspect to consider was the attractiveness of the Man U job - basically it wasn't. They were a reasonably big club known for winning the European Cup, but had not been successful for about 20 years (bar a few cups) and a second division title, and seemed to be the death-knell of quite a few managers' careers.

Not only that, the English league was a dark, depressing place at the time, full of hooliganism, crumbling terraces and no European football.

This is what allowed Souness to attract top English internationals to the best stadium in the country, for a team guaranteed to win stuff, and play in Europe every year - and as money was predominantly based on crowds and Ibrox was brimming with about 44 thousand every home game, the wages were among the best in the UK as well.

The top team in England, for a long period at that time, was Liverpool, with a great record in the league and cups (for England) and also in Europe (it has to be remembered the ban came after they played in the EC final). When you add in the number of years Souness played for them, it's relatively easy to understand why, despite being successful for three years at Rangers, he would be attracted to just ONE specific job down south, just as the European ban was being lifted.

I can't for the life of me understand why the Man U job at that time would be more attractive than Rangers (without knowing the future) - especially when Ferguson himself seemed about to be just another managerial casualty of the poison chalice of what looked like a mountainous task.

In the end, while he can make his own career decisions, I suppose that what will rankle with Rangers fans is his continually professed love and loyalty for our club, which gives him a bit of affection or even just tolerance in many a Rangers fan's mind. While the defection to Liverpool blunted that affinity, it was at least somewhat understandable - the Man U story just says that he's been bullshitting us for decades.

As with all these kind of things, he's entitled to do what he likes in his career, but on the emotional side, if we disagree with his motives or integrity, then we are entitled to think badly of him.

Edited by calscot