How Rangers became Espanyol fans’ second team

I was in a local bar a few days ago and noticed a dog with a St Pauli tag on its collar. I remarked, "That's a gorgeous wee dug. It's just a pity about the tag it's wearing." A half drunk non-entity sitting nearby said, "How, whit's up wae St Pauli ?" I replied, "Well, St Pauli is the red light area of Hamburg."

The halfwit obviously thought he was ready to reel one in and ended up making a clown of himself. :razz:

Report the Yahoo to the RSPCA.

Caught advertising his dog's services to a niche market.

I remember vividly the articles you mention, the "Espanyolification of Rangers" which I still speak to my mates about to this day as it becomes more and more apparent this is working brilliantly for those of a green'n'grey persuasion.

I dont want this to side-step the main thrust of your post, but "40% of Rangers supporters vote SNP"? Is that educated guesswork based on electoral results or a real poll?

It was a UK wide poll several months past, all clubs had their supporters canvassed. I was not surprised at the results, the Rangers support probably represents the electorate's actual decision more than most. I remember numerous conversations in Uni' refectories/common rooms forty years ago. The Yahoo mindset was/is, we are all Tories and Waffen SS mentalists. There was a complete refusal to believe most Bears voted Labour. They need to position us so, to make their response rational. The broad church that actually represents the Rangers support is unwanted, it is awkward and inconvenient to their perceived wisdom.

Our problem is massive under-representation. If the larger share of Bears vote SNP, why does the party not reciprocate? The Scottish Cup final is a case in point, particularly the aftermath. A tweet from the First Minister congratulating Hibs for making her hubby, Peter Murrow(also SNP Chief Executive), "a very happy Hibby". Then, nothing for three full days from anyone in the Scottish Government. The Justice Minister, Michael Matheson and then Lord Advocate, Frank Mullholland said nothing. Nature hates a vacuum, and all the Rangers haters spat their venom. I believe Fraser Wishart's demands for players to be protected at their place of work on the Monday afternoon stimulated the late Tuesday afternoon response from Matheson.

Again, the Green Brigade's effigies and banners, Aberdeen supporters scrawling on the team bus reference the Ibrox Disaster, and the Ashley situation sees no political support from the political establishment in Scotland.

It was a UK wide poll several months past, all clubs had their supporters canvassed. I was not surprised at the results, the Rangers support probably represents the electorate's actual decision more than most. I remember numerous conversations in Uni' refectories/common rooms forty years ago. The Yahoo mindset was/is, we are all Tories and Waffen SS mentalists. There was a complete refusal to believe most Bears voted Labour. They need to position us so, to make their response rational. The broad church that actually represents the Rangers support is unwanted, it is awkward and inconvenient to their perceived wisdom.

Our problem is massive under-representation. If the larger share of Bears vote SNP, why does the party not reciprocate? The Scottish Cup final is a case in point, particularly the aftermath. A tweet from the First Minister congratulating Hibs for making her hubby, Peter Murrow(also SNP Chief Executive), "a very happy Hibby". Then, nothing for three full days from anyone in the Scottish Government. The Justice Minister, Michael Matheson and then Lord Advocate, Frank Mullholland said nothing. Nature hates a vacuum, and all the Rangers haters spat their venom. I believe Fraser Wishart's demands for players to be protected at their place of work on the Monday afternoon stimulated the late Tuesday afternoon response from Matheson.

Again, the Green Brigade's effigies and banners, Aberdeen supporters scrawling on the team bus reference the Ibrox Disaster, and the Ashley situation sees no political support from the political establishment in Scotland.

While I would not be surprised at a large number of Rangers supporters voting Labour 40 years ago given it was still the working mans game and Labour were the working mans party, those days (for both) are long gone, so I would be absolutely astonished if 40% of Rangers supporters back this particular brand of evil known as the SNP in todays Scotland.

One would only need to look at your own examples above for enough proof, never mind all the other examples.

Perhaps it is a larger number of online poll-voting non-match-attending Bears that bought into the SNP's false rhetoric, and that in turn increased the overall numbers in the poll you seen? A bit like Rangers supporting Daily Record readers!

While I would not be surprised at a large number of Rangers supporters voting Labour 40 years ago given it was still the working mans game and Labour were the working mans party, those days (for both) are long gone, so I would be absolutely astonished if 40% of Rangers supporters back this particular brand of evil known as the SNP in todays Scotland.

One would only need to look at your own examples above for enough proof, never mind all the other examples.

Perhaps it is a larger number of online poll-voting non-match-attending Bears that bought into the SNP's false rhetoric, and that in turn increased the overall numbers in the poll you seen? A bit like Rangers supporting Daily Record readers!

Non match attending Bears are Ranger supporters just like you and me. Why anyone at all buys the Daily Record I have no idea.

I'm surprised that you're surprised! Gersnet ran a poll at the time of the referendum and, from memory, it was broadly inline with the result.

Remember, for most people who they support and who they vote for are two entirely different subjects. The only thing the colour of my scarf tells you about me is what football team I support. I voted 'No' in the referendum, I'd vote the same way if there was another one tomorrow. But in five years time, or ten, who knows. Things change so I keep an open mind. Two of the strongest SNP supporters I know are big Rangers men, one I understand is looking to stand in local elections for them. He's a good guy and would make a great councillor, I'd vote for him. That's got nothing to do with him being a bluenose though. Describing them as "evil" does you a discredit. I disagree with some of their policies, I think, on balance, things are better being part of the union. But I can respect their point of view and accept that parts of their argument is valid. They aren't "evil".

Any attempt to group Rangers supporters as one homogenous group should be resisted, whether it comes from fans of other clubs or from fans of our own. We're a broad church and represent a wide cross-section of the population, we'd be well served reminding politicians of all hues that as often as we can.

I absolutely detest the suggestion that all Rangers supporters should be protestant, tory, monarchist, anti-snp or anything else.

As the chap above says, the colour of my scarf shows anybody who's interested what football team I support.

During the referendum debate I saw lifelong Rangers supporters receive online abuse on other forums for simply engaging in the debate. To a man they ended up banned. Not for what they were saying but because the howls from fellow supporters led to the usual accusation from somebody losing the debate that they were guilty of trolling. Similarly I've read posts accusing bears of being IRA supporters because they expressed the opinion that they had no interest in the royal family.

Btw, most of the online abuse came from guys who could usually be found shouting online while a Rangers match was taking place - they had all the credentials but didn't actually go to watch the team play.

I don't care what the political leaning, religion or view of guy sitting next to me is. If he's a Rangers supporter, that's enough.

There is much generalisation going on. I suspect most bears don't vote for the SNP as they oppose and deteste what the stand for. Which is the break up of the union and the formation of sovereign Scottish state. It can't be argued that our club and its heritage is a constant thorn in its side, as we promote, on the whole, unionist values. The SNP's anti Rangers undercurrent has manifested itself in plain view over recent months by the tolerance of attacks of all kinds, religious, sporting and political on our club.

I am sure many Rangers fans still vote labour. However the reason why the SNP are a poisonous entity, imo, is clear for all to see.

Edited by cooponthewing

There is much generalisation going on. I suspect most bears don't vote for the SNP as they oppose and deteste what the stand for. Which is the break up of the union and the formation of sovereign Scottish state. It can't be argued that our club and its heritage is a constant thorn in its side, as we promote, on the whole, unionist values. The SNP's anti Rangers undercurrent has manifested itself in plain view over recent months by the tolerance of attacks of all kinds, religious, sporting and political on our club.

I am sure many Rangers fans still vote labour. However the reason why the SNP are a poisonous entity, imo, is clear for all to see.

Sorry coop but I have to disagree with you there. I haven't seen any religious, sporting or political attacks on our club carried out by the SNP and I'm by no means one of their supporters. The Rangers support are meaningless to the SNP. I just don't see where your "thorn in their side" comes from. For several years now they've controlled Holyrood. Nobody but the most rabid tim in the SNP will give the Rangers support a second thought. FFS, not even the SFA give a monkeys about the Rangers support.

The problem nowadays is the manks having total control of the football authorities and the press. Some of us saw that one coming many years ago btw. Should one of our critics step over a line there is the option of going to a police office and report a crime having taken place - should the police fail in some way there is the option of contacting the Scottish government to complain. Would they act ? I've no idea, but it would then maybe back up the point you seem to me to be making.