A world class footballer?

In my time of watching Rangers players I'd say were world class either when they were with us or after

In no order:

Brian Laudrup

Paul Gascoigne

Alexei Mikhailichenko

Rino Gattuso (after he left us)

Lots more perhaps verge Caniggia was a special player and had his issues earlier in his career I felt lucky to see him play for us, Kanchelskis too though he never hit the heights with us he did earlier in his career.

Caniggia was never world class, at least by my definition, but it has to be said - what a football player. If he was winding down with us, how good was he in his twenties?

I'll never forget him beating Lennon to the ball in the 2003 League Cup Final, despite Lennon having a 60 yard head start.

He was nowhere near world class for us or after us. He was often on the bench.

However I'd have Goram on the list. At his peak he was best in the world in my opinion.

Yes you forget about keepers when talking about world class keepers. I will admit to not seeing an awful lot of Gorum as I was already living abroad and did not have a computer back then.

For me the best keeper ever was Lev Yashin.

Was Richard Gough a world class defender? At his peak he has to be close. Arthur Numan another who could have played for any team in Europe.

There is different levels of world class, Messi, Zidane, Maradona etc are on another level.

I think there should be a term could be International class - yet the argument to that is Luxemborg, Malta, San Marino (and Scotland) have players who play international.

I remember there was a PC game years ago where a player was rated - Average, Good, Excellent, World Class, Exceptional etc....

If you were to pick a world class 11 from players that you have seen playing on the park what would be your 11 .

From goalkeeper to number 11 .

From my time from watching football TV Id go with this....I need to have a think about players I have actually seen.

Buffon

Cafu Desailly Cannavaro Maldini

Messi Maradona Zidane Ronaldo

Henry Baggio

Edited by Gribz

Caniggia was never world class, at least by my definition, but it has to be said - what a football player. If he was winding down with us, how good was he in his twenties?

I'll never forget him beating Lennon to the ball in the 2003 League Cup Final, despite Lennon having a 60 yard head start.

I'd argue but for his issues mid career Caniggia would be remembered much more fondly. But you could apply that to so many players so I totally get where you're coming from.

Hagi and Prosinecki were both untouchable if they could be arsed.

Dragan Stojkovic always blew me away what a player. The issues in Yugoslavia ruined it for him though.

Edited by Crimson Dynamo

From my time from watching football TV Id go with this....I need to have a think about players I have actually seen.

Buffon

Cafu Desailly Cannavaro Maldini

Messi Maradona Zidane Ronaldo

Henry Baggio

No way was Steve Fulton that good.