Jon Toral loan deal completed

Used ti be a huge difference in prize money.

Just under 285k of a difference. Better than a hot poker in the nuts! Or having your nuts attached to a socket via live wires!

My mind is wondering...Help lol.

Edited by cooponthewing

Always a lottery with loan signings. Still, welcome to the world's greatest club Mr Toral.

But the other side of the coin is loan players can leave early rather than signing risky average players on 3 year contracts who don't work out.

Pep Talk Pep Guardiola begged Jon Toral not to leave Barcelona as he was special talent says starmaker Albert Puig

The Barca star finder reckons the new Rangers loan signing was among the best players he's ever worked with

ALBERT PUIG spent 11 years talent spotting and nurturing the cream of the Barcelona crop.

And Nou Camp star finder Puig reckons new Rangers loan signing Jon Toral was among the best players he’s ever worked with.

Puig began scouting for Barca in 2003, before progressing to a coaching role, and then becoming director of Barca’s La Masia Academy in 2010.

He was responsible for bringing Hector Bellerin, Marc Bartra, Lee Seung-Woo, Sergi Roberto, Martin Montoya and Rafinha to the Nou Camp.

All have gone on to flourish at the highest level, but when it comes to natural talent Puig insists Arsenal midfielder Toral is more than a match for any of them.

He said: “I have been fortunate to discover and work with many great players at Barca.

“Guys like Bellerin, Samper, Bartra, Lee Seung-Woo, Traore and Roberto.

“Without a shadow of doubt Jon was one of the best I ever coached.

“He is also one of the most professional players I have worked with. His attitude is first class.

“Jon’s best position is between the midfield and strikers.

“Jon was nine when I first spotted him, and I worked with him until he was 16.

“Even at that young age I knew he was a special player.

“Barca had a lot of talented kids, but Jon stood out from the crowd.

“He is among the top three players I have ever worked with.

“That was a very good generation with Bellerin, Roberto and Rafinha.

“What made Jon stand out was his ability to create and score goals. As a young kid he had incredible vision.

“Technically he was really outstanding, and he was also very strong on the ball.

“He was different to Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets. He was more like Brazilian midfielder Rafinha, who was also at Barca.”

Puig and Barcelona were devastated when Toral dropped the bombshell news he was leaving to join Arsenal alongside Bellerin when he was only 16.

The Catalans did everything in their power to keep him with boss Pep Guardiola pleading with the youngster to stay.

Even his English-born mother wanted her son to remain in Spain.

But while Puig was gutted to see the teenager leave he believes the episode highlighted Toral’s strength of character.

Puig added: “It was so disappointing when Jon left to join Arsenal.

“Everybody at Barca had such high hopes for Jon. But he made his mind up he wanted to play in the Premier League.

“Even from a young age it was his dream to play in England with a big club.

“I spoke with him and Pep Guardiola also spoke with him, but he had already made up his mind.

“Everybody was desperate for him to stay in Spain. He was an extremely popular and likeable guy, and all his team-mates wanted him to stay.

“However, despite everybody trying to persuade him otherwise Jon was adamant he wanted to join Arsenal, and fulfil a boyhood dream.

“When the whole world is telling you one thing, and you still choose to do the other, that takes a lot of courage when you are only 16.”

Injuries curtailed Toral’s initial progress at the Gunners, but he proved during loan spells at Brentford and Birmingham just what he had to offer.

The playmaker worked alongside Mark Warburton at Brentford, and the Gers gaffer moved swiftly to secure his signature for a second time when it became clear Toral was unhappy on loan with Granada.

Puig is convinced Toral, 21, will be a revelation at Gers during the second half of the campaign.

Puig said: “I have no doubt he is good enough to play in the Premier League with Arsenal, so Rangers are fortunate to get him now. Jon’s problem was he had a couple of bad injuries when he was 18 and 19.

“That really hampered his development for a little while, however his best years are now in front of him.

“From what I understand he did very well at Birmingham, and he has played well on loan at Granada this season when he was given a chance.

“I’m confident he will do well at Rangers because his game is very much suited to Scotland.

“At Barca the emphasis is more on skill than strength but, Jon is not your typical Spanish player.

“He is very robust as well as having excellent technical ability.

“He is probably a cross between a British and Spanish player. I’m sure he will cope with Scottish football easily, and the Rangers fans will love him.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/393090/pep-guardiola-begged-jon-toral-not-to-leave-barcelona-as-he-was-special-talent-says-starmaker-albert-puig/

Oh dear, looks like Shellk's business partner, the daily rhebel, don't like the idea of Toral signing for Rangers.Must be better than Eboue then.

Wee phonecall from liewell to put out a negative headline per chance ???