Mark Warburton: Random nature of football has gone against Rangers

The main reason for the lack of goals this season is that he continually picks Miller for his central striker, who is then nowhere near the goals often enough to be a goal threat.

6 goals in 24 games for the main striker in a team creating 20-30 chances per game (according to MW's stats) is the worst possible return.

The reason we scored much more goals last season is that we had Waghorn in the central striker role, and other players not afraid to shoot when in decent positions. We also got a lot more free kicks and penalties because we were far more offensive in nature and asked many more questions of the opponents defence. This season we dont get in and around the box anywhere near enough, we are far more content to play from side to side 30 yards out than last season when we would far more often play the 1-2's into the box from any angle. The full backs chipped in with 15-20 goals between them, and the midfielders scored regular goals as well. Our full backs dont get into the box anywhere near as often this year, and our midfielders rarely run beyond the striker into the box. I think that is because our defence is so bad they know they need to be there to help them more than just push forward.

Drop Miller out the team, play Dodoo or Waghorn up front with Garner in a twin strike force and watch the goals for column increase regularly.

dB is generally the voice of reason. However on this occasion it's one heck of a stretch! Definitely in the minority with the very liberal assessment of MW words.

The problem is that most of you are constantly hammered by the Scottish media, be that paper, TV, or radio. Added to that the surrounding people and footie fans. Now, most of you are grown up and reasonable folk, but after years of anguish and constant FLAK, the sensitivities on certain subjects will have been tortured to breaking point. Over here, and unless you are actually interested in the game, you get an entirely different picture, one half a universe away from what you read in the papers or even on here. For the rest of the football world, people expect promoted teams to fight for survival, not challenging for Europe. And Rangers are no different in these people's eyes. It is simply not expected that Rangers finish where we expect them to do and every success is thus greeted with a different sort of respect and acceptance.

Most of my fellow German Bears are, like myself, halfway between those points of view, i.e. are removed from the Scottish "hysteria" in a way that gives us an angle not tangible in many opinions on this board or FF. It does not belittle those views in any shape or form, but might, sometimes, add a bit of realism to the debate.

Here, you see people haring after MW because he tells it like it is and it would not be any different if Brenda would use the same stats. The latter would talk about them to tell us what his team does right and hence gets the rewards. We simply don't get these rewards and it does, at times beggar belief.

Edited by der Berliner

The problem is that most of you are constantly hammered by the Scottish media, be that paper, TV, or radio. Added to that the surrounding people and footie fans. Now, most of you are grown up and reasonable folk, but after years of anguish and constant FLAK, the sensitivities on certain subjects will have been tortured to breaking point. Over here, and unless you are actually interested in the game, you get an entirely different picture, one half a universe away from what you read in the papers or even on here. For the rest of the football world, people expect promoted teams to fight for survival, not challenging for Europe. And Rangers are no different in these people's eyes. It is simply not expected that Rangers finish where we expect them to do and every success is thus greeted with a different sort of respect and acceptance.

Most of my fellow German Bears are, like myself, halfway between those points of view, i.e. are removed from the Scottish "hysteria" in a way that gives us an angle not tangible in many opinions on this board or FF. It does not belittle those views in any shape or form, but might, sometimes, add a bit of realism to the debate.

Here, you see people haring after MW because he tells it like it is and it would not be any different if Brenda would use the same stats. The latter would talk about them to tell us what his team does right and hence gets the rewards. We simply don't get these rewards and it does, at times beggar belief.

dB - I consider myself to be as reasonable as they come. I'm in Australia and totally removed from all that you state, (by the way, it feels great to be out of the stinking bigoted cesspit of the Glasgow gold fish bowl). However, I still love Rangers and I see us as the best team in Scotland. Every game is against C***ic in some way shape or form. I demand and expect better than we are getting in light of the resources MW is furnished with. I can't accept drawing with Ross County, (home or away) no matter how far we ran or how many shots on goal we had. Saying that we just got promoted is moot too. We got promoted from League 1 to the Championship, McCoist (& McCall) failed and paid the price. It wasn't good enough. MW came in and romped the Championship with a Premier League squad, so had time to build and plan for the top league challenge, he knew the target back then and accepted it, so although it makes sense that a promoted team would be having a great season if they were in our position, clearly that does not apply in our case. He is on the verge of failing to hit an agreed target, i.e. second and into Europe, not just Europe as is commonly quoted. We are right to voice our concern.

I won't accept being a babysitter for Bournemouth, when it affects our ability to win games. If we need to remove our best players to placate the 'parent' club, and subsequently fail to win, it is not worth it.

dB - I consider myself to be as reasonable as they come. I'm in Australia and totally removed from all that you state, (by the way, it feels great to be out of the stinking bigoted cesspit of the Glasgow gold fish bowl). However, I still love Rangers and I see us as the best team in Scotland. Every game is against C***ic in some way shape or form. I demand and expect better than we are getting in light of the resources MW is furnished with. I can't accept drawing with Ross County, (home or away) no matter how far we ran or how many shots on goal we had. Saying that we just got promoted is moot too. We got promoted from League 1 to the Championship, McCoist (& McCall) failed and paid the price. It wasn't good enough. MW came in and romped the Championship with a Premier League squad, so had time to build and plan for the top league challenge, he knew the target back then and accepted it, so although it makes sense that a promoted team would be having a great season if they were in our position, clearly that does not apply in our case. He is on the verge of failing to hit an agreed target, i.e. second and into Europe, not just Europe as is commonly quoted. We are right to voice our concern.

I won't accept being a babysitter for Bournemouth, when it affects our ability to win games. If we need to remove our best players to placate the 'parent' club, and subsequently fail to win, it is not worth it.

I agree with your main paragraph and have also said consistently that I do not agree with loan players keeping back our own youngsters with the objective of "sending (the loanees) back as better players"; but in the case of Hyndman, IMHO he's better than anything else currently available, so I'm not clear which of our "best players" he is keeping out of the team? Halliday?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I agree with your main paragraph and have also said consistently that I do not agree with loan players keeping back our own youngsters with the objective of "sending (the loanees) back as better players"; but in the case of Hyndman, IMHO he's better than anything else currently available, so I'm not clear which of our "best players" he is keeping out of the team? Halliday?

Sorry, by 'best players' I meant Hyndman, he's a good player. I'm not against the loan system, but when we need to sacrifice our aims in favour of other teams, I fail to see where the advantage is. If we can't use Hyndman to our benefit, what's the point?