Rangers are worse now than Celtic were in early 90s: Ally McCoist

I can't believe he's doing these interviews for the money. Equally, I can't believe he's doing them just to annoy me and everyone else associated with the club, although that's how it's feeling at the moment. And I'm trying not to believe that he's in some way associated with Ashley.

So, does anyone want to speculate as to what his motive is here? It seems to be overly negative and of all weeks it seems to be carefully orchestrated to coincide with the comments from Ashley last week and then Smith over the weekend. Is it in fact a master-stroke to have Celtic in a false sense of security? Is it to help keep the media attention away from Murty and the players? Is he actually just trying to do the right thing, albeit misguided?

Any ideas? I'm confused and quite frankly hacked off at the guy, but I'm trying to hold onto any respect I can for someone who was a playing legend.

Perhaps he's trying to influence some boardroom battle?

Perhaps some elements feel that King isn't putting his hand in his pocket quickly enough and they are trying to ramp up the pressure on him?

However there's no way it's got anything to do with Sunday's game.

Ally McCoist has made an absolute mint out of Rangers, I find it hard to understand there being a financial motive in his appearances in the press.

Laying the irony on with a trowel, there, old boy.

I can't believe he's doing these interviews for the money. Equally, I can't believe he's doing them just to annoy me and everyone else associated with the club, although that's how it's feeling at the moment. And I'm trying not to believe that he's in some way associated with Ashley.

So, does anyone want to speculate as to what his motive is here? It seems to be overly negative and of all weeks it seems to be carefully orchestrated to coincide with the comments from Ashley last week and then Smith over the weekend. Is it in fact a master-stroke to have Celtic in a false sense of security? Is it to help keep the media attention away from Murty and the players? Is he actually just trying to do the right thing, albeit misguided?

Any ideas? I'm confused and quite frankly hacked off at the guy, but I'm trying to hold onto any respect I can for someone who was a playing legend.

Mission impossible, as that boat sailed long ago.

McCoist was speaking at an event to promote the Ladbrokes Football Show. (No, me neither, but, apparently, it is broadcast live @6pm

every Thursday, via something called the Ladbrokes Facebook Page.)

Whether or not he went off piste with the gentlemen of the Scottish press, I do not know.

What is it people disagree with? McCoist is correct in everything he states, his point about McStay is very interesting, we've no one in our side currently who comes close to being a player of that ability or stature.

As for why he's saying it he's working for Ladbrokes, has done on and off for a few years. It's an old PR trick to get the media to cover something that basically has no news value. Get someone who the media would like to interview along and allow them time to interview him in return for showing a pic of whatever is being promoted. What else are they going to ask McCoist about other than Rangers?

I don't know if it's just a Rangers thing, or if it's a Scottish thing or if it happens all over, but fuck me we're quick to turn on our own. Just for fun here are the actual words he spoke;

“It’s difficult to gauge the two periods,” said McCoist. “We’re certainly in a similar position now if not worse. That Celtic team – although we were dominant – was capable of beating us on the odd occasion. You don’t really see that right now.

“I will contradict myself when I say Rangers can win the odd game, but as we all sit here I think we’d all say Celtic have got better players. In the 1990’s it wasn’t as much of a certainty that Rangers would win as it is now saying Celtic will win.

“I always looked across the tunnel in Old Firm games and fancied our chances but there’s a big difference between that and knowing you’re going to win. There’s so many things can happen in an Old Firm game.

“Celtic had some really good players. Paul McStay is one of the best I’ve ever played against. But when I looked at our team I was happy with it, although we never took it for granted that we would win.”

“No Rangers fan in their right mind wants 10-in-a-row to happen but a far bigger issue is starting to compete against Celtic again on a regular basis,” he said. “They’ve got a chance on Sunday; the boys beat Celtic at Hampden in the semi-final last season and played as well as they have in a number of years.

“But the in the last game at Parkhead, Celtic were dominant. Rangers were very good for around 55 minutes at Ibrox but Moussa Dembele and Scott Sinclair took over the game after that.

“Rangers will have to play very well, defend well and carry a bit of luck. I feel for Graeme Murty. He’s in a position he wouldn’t have visualised at any time when he came up.”

“Celtic are miles ahead. Aberdeen and Hearts are well run clubs and I have unbelievable respect for the way Anne Budge and Stewart Milne run their clubs – fantastic,” said McCoist. “But can they challenge Celtic? No chance. Celtic have kicked on. It’s not impossible – I think if you get investment you can get players to close gap initially and then work on other things. It’s not a no-hope situation but it’s very, very difficult.

“In a one-off game you can beat Celtic. Rangers did it at Hampden last season, albeit on penalties when Celtic probably had the better chances. But that maybe gave people a bit of false hope; because Celtic have better players than Rangers at the moment. “Clearly, I don’t take any delight in saying that at all. In fact, before the 5-1 game at Parkhead I said Celtic were miles in front and Rangers wouldn’t challenge them this year.

“I got dog’s abuse for saying that all over social media, so I was told. But was I right? I take no pleasure in it but Rangers are exactly where I thought they would be." “I’m certainly not going to be critical of previous managers,” I know better than anybody how difficult the job is even if you have a few quid.

“This is not me being critical of Kenny McDowall, Stuart McCall or Mark Warburton. What I mean is Rangers needs massive investment – not just investment.”

And if that doesn’t happen? “The same situation will follow. I just detect the patience of the Rangers fans – and the majority are fantastic – is wearing thin.”

“There wouldn’t be a club if it wasn’t for the way the supporters rallied in the first couple of years after administration and then liquidation.” said McCoist. “They kept the club alive. “But I know better than anyone that the patience will be wearing thin. It’s only a matter of time before they turn on players, the board and individuals.

That’s where we are at the moment. “Would Rangers be happy with second place? Most intelligent Rangers fans would have seen that as progress this season.

Different question – would you settle for second being 35-40 behind Celtic? Probably not."

Go on then, what is it anyone thinks is unfair, unkind or wrong about what McCoist said? I can see nothing to disagree with unfortunately, McCoist is measured and criticises no one.