Chelsea beat Man City in race to sign Rangers wonderkid Billy Gilmour

Money talks----Gilmour walks.Hes not the only one by any manner of means.Its all a bit depressing really.Smaller nations and clubs are being raped by champions league and sky money.

Its fecking disgraceful. No incentive to rear young players,none. A few pennies thrown to the peasants.

Completely agree. The big get bigger and the small feed off scraps.

UEFA AND FIFA need to actually step in and stem the tide. The gap is widening and neither of those two care about keeping things even remotely competitive. If the wheels fall off on the CL, or EPL's Sky money the carnage will be massive.

Not blaming the lad in any way,fact is ,he would be mad to sign for us(all things considered).

You really believe that? If he is mad he would take a short term financial gain with a team like Chelsea over a potentially long term career which benefited from some first team experience in front of 50k fans every other week.

We have a real problem in the game these days with teams like Chelsea hoovering up the raw talent and then keeping them suppressed by loaning them out to clubs without real consideration for their future. Chelsea can afford to do this, but young kids can't. Unfortunately they don't realise this until it's too late. There is absolutely no substitute for first team experience and especially experience gained under pressure. Rangers is an ideal place for players to develop the skills (not just football related) they'd need for a long career in the game. The reason young players don't make the grade, despite the wealth of talent they have, is because senior clubs do not give them the game time. Rangers needs to demonstrate that it can play young players. I really expected that MW would stick to that part of the plan but he didn't.

I could completely understand youngsters chasing the money and believing that they are the one who will actually make it at a club like Chelsea. However if it was my son I'd be asking what the stats were in these clubs. How many kids last more than 5 years in the game having gone down this route? You'll find that it's not many.

Let's hope whatever happens that he's well advised. Even if it's not with us, I'd want the kid to go somewhere he will be playing games under pressure, otherwise he won't make it regardless of how skilful he is.

Not blaming the lad in any way,fact is ,he would be mad to sign for us(all things considered).

Yep.

Given so many top clubs are trying to sign him the sad reality is that he would more than likely get more than 10k a week at Chelsea - for a 16 yr old lad that is like winning the lottery (Zelalem was reported to be on something like 18k a week at Arsenal.....). Staying with us he would only get that as an established 1st team member after a few years. Plus he would be at one of Europe's top clubs, although playing time would be fairly unlikely, at least initially.

If I were him I would go to Barcelona (if they are still interested) - they would develop him technically more than the English teams would - and even if he didn't make it out there, the English teams would still be looking to bring him back to the UK as they are constantly watching Barca players given the reputation of La Masia.

We had such a wonderful opportunity to develop a reputation as a club that could develop young players and we blew it. We had the opportunity to balance youth with experience as we came back up through the divisions. There's no point in crying over spilled milk, but I just hope we find a way to give youth a chance, otherwise there really is no point in youth development and it's associated costs.

When MW was given the role, he sold himself on his ability to get youths coming through. This was exactly what we needed. However this season he went with too many older players when some of the younger ones could have had their chance. PC has been given the opportunity to develop youth and I was particularly pleased to see him immediately take the opportunity to try out some of the younger players on Saturday. We can't just play them if they're not good enough to develop into a quality player, but equally we can't continue to leave them out if they're not quite as good as some of our established players. If they don't get the chance, they'll never be good enough.

This also means that as a support we need to be patient as they develop, and tolerant of their mistakes. I just wonder if we have a support that's willing to play its part though.

Older Gersnetters will remember Hamilton Acas of forty-odd years past?

Jan Stepek was the Chairman and Jim Smith the manager. They had hundreds of Lanarkshire schoolboys on S-Forms. Any lad that had signed said S-Form, and looking likely; then Acas were due compensation first, even though they had done nothing for his development. Basically, they signed the lads and filed the forms. It appears Chelsea are at the fore front of a similar scheme.

An official investigation by the SFA saw Jim Smith banned from participation in signing youth players. I am sure the reports at the time stated a cupboard in his office had several hundred signed S-Forms. I was at Fir Park Boys' Club in the early 70s and we had Billy Lamont and Sammy Campbell telling us NOT to entertain Acas. Guys who made a good living from football in our crop ie Gordon Mair, Jim Dempsey, Paul Lamont, Ian Clinging, ...etc all benefited from honest advice.

The current Chelsea situation is much different and depressing. Kids in early teenage years can transform the entire family situation by signing at sixteen. A new house and a new car(s) is most tempting when advice is being proffered.

Big mistake for the kid.Look what happened to the young kid from C****c that went to Chelsea.

It as a big mistake for Feruz from a professional perspective, but probably not from a financial one. Sad.

The majority of those who leave to go to the big guns end up on loan and, effectively, journeymen. But well paid journeymen along the way.

And it isn't an easy decision for a young lad to make. Whilst I know our facilities at Auchenhowie are very good I would be surprised if Chelsea's, or Arsenal's or City's or Barca's, aren't a fair bit better given their resources. On top of that he will be training with a higher standard of player and be getting paid far more than he could hope to get here.

Very difficult decision for the lad and his family.

Older Gersnetters will remember Hamilton Acas of forty-odd years past?

Jan Stepek was the Chairman and Jim Smith the manager. They had hundreds of Lanarkshire schoolboys on S-Forms. Any lad that had signed said S-Form, and looking likely; then Acas were due compensation first, even though they had done nothing for his development. Basically, they signed the lads and filed the forms. It appears Chelsea are at the fore front of a similar scheme.

An official investigation by the SFA saw Jim Smith banned from participation in signing youth players. I am sure the reports at the time stated a cupboard in his office had several hundred signed S-Forms. I was at Fir Park Boys' Club in the early 70s and we had Billy Lamont and Sammy Campbell telling us NOT to entertain Acas. Guys who made a good living from football in our crop ie Gordon Mair, Jim Dempsey, Paul Lamont, Ian Clinging, ...etc all benefited from honest advice.

The current Chelsea situation is much different and depressing. Kids in early teenage years can transform the entire family situation by signing at sixteen. A new house and a new car(s) is most tempting when advice is being proffered.

And the 5-figure-per-week salary helps too :(