Rangers agree deal to sell Billy Gilmour to Chelsea: The fee could reach £600,000

RANGERS have agreed a deal to sell star teenager Billy Gilmour to Chelsea.

By Iain Macfarlane

PUBLISHED: 22:08, Wed, Mar 29, 2017 | UPDATED: 22:30, Wed, Mar 29, 2017

It’s understood the transfer fee could top £600,000, with the 15-year-old and his parents also being weighed in by the megabucks Blues.

Rangers hope Gilmour will have a late change of heart and set his sights on playing for them rather than moving down south.*

But that possibility looks remote, with the midfielder ready to head for Stamford Bridge when he turns 16 in June.

Ibrox managing director Robertson said: “We have a position agreed if he was to go.*“It would be negligent of us not to have done that in terms of the governance of the club, but we’d rather not get the money and Billy stayed and went on to have*a great career at Rangers. We believe we could give him a platform to have a terrific career going forward.”*

If Gilmour picked his club in the summer when he turned 16, Rangers would receive only around £90,000 in compensation.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Tottenham and a clutch of other English sides were desperate to land the hotly-tipped Ayrshire teenager.

But Chelsea have won the race unless the player and his parents stage a U-turn.

Robertson added: “We’ve done all we can. We’ve tried to sell Rangers and the opportunities to him in the best possible way on the basis of his career going forward.*

“But if there are other big clubs, then we’re all human and his head could be turned.

“We would love Billy Gilmour to stay but we need to protect our position and do the sensible thing, because if he goes in the summer without a deal being agreed then he leaves only for a compensation amount.

“That would be a lot less than if we had a fee agreed beforehand.*

“We have protected our position on that side of things, but we’d like Billy Gilmour to stay at the club. Everybody on the football side thinks he’s a fantastic talent and he’s still only 15.

“It would be great to see a boy like that develop and stay here to get a lot of game time and go further.”

Rangers could ask to get the player back from Chelsea on loan, but that is not written into the preliminary agreement.

Meanwhile, the Light Blues are continuing their search for a director of football and a coach with local knowledge to assist new boss Pedro Caixinha.

Southampton’s Ross Wilson*turned down the director of football role, which requires the candidate to revamp scouting and recruitment backed by a six-figure sum of investment.

Barry Ferguson, John Brown, Alex Rae, Peter Lovenkrands and Jonatan Johansson have all been interviewed about a coaching role.

Robertson said: “Pedro is conducting the interviews because he’s the guy who has to work with him.*

“It’s really important that he feels he can build a relationship and build a trust with the person coming in so we’re leaving that up to him, and the final decision on who he wants to go with.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/785592/Rangers-Billy-Gilmour-Chelsea-Premier-League-Transfer-News-Gossip

Hell, no a thousand times no. We are not a feeder club for any one. I dont care how much money is offered, we need a proper youth policy. Why the hell would he want to sink in the morass of Chelsea's bloated youth system? Look at Islam Feruz. Say no more.

In the meantime we become a club with no heart, a team of guest players, or loan players just like MW tried to turn us into.

Hell, no a thousand times no. We are not a feeder club for any one. I dont care how much money is offered, we need a proper youth policy. Why the hell would he want to sink in the morass of Chelsea's bloated youth system? Look at Islam Feruz. Say no more.

In the meantime we become a club with no heart, a team of guest players, or loan players just like MW tried to turn us into.

Unfortunately we have no say in the matter. I just don't understand his parents wanting him to go from training with Rangers first team back into training with the bloated youth academy at Chelsea.

Like it or not this was a very smart move by Rangers and Robertson. Billy Gilmour can leave in the summer if he so wishes, the training comp would be 90k. To agree a fee with Chelsea means we get a far higher amount. And the Club have iterated that they do NOT want him to leave. What they have done is have a fallback position that ensures the Club doesn't miss out on money in the event the lad goes.

Unfortunately we have no say in the matter. I just don't understand his parents wanting him to go from training with Rangers first team back into training with the bloated youth academy at Chelsea.

All very easy to say but if Chelsea are willing to pay up to 600k for the lad even though they could get him for 90 (yes, pocket change to Chelsea) just think on how much they will be offering the lad in salary....

One single 5 yr contract with one of the big guns can set you up for life financially. Money is ruining the game. But from this lad and his parents perspective this could easily be seen to be too good of a financial opportunity to miss. All rather sad !

All very easy to say but if Chelsea are willing to pay up to 600k for the lad even though they could get him for 90 (yes, pocket change to Chelsea) just think on how much they will be offering the lad in salary....

One single 5 yr contract with one of the big guns can set you up for life financially. Money is ruining the game. But from this lad and his parents perspective this could easily be seen to be too good of a financial opportunity to miss. All rather sad !

I have to agree with you. One of the stupid decisions in my life was in underrating my daughter in advice of her school. My daughter wanted to take on a higher education but her teacher advised us she would be standing on her toes to pass. We talked my daughter into to taking the lower education which she walked through with 2 fingers in her nose and lost interest to go for a higher education. I know that is also to do with her character but how often does that happen in football and all sorts of life. As an old TV series used to say: It is better to have fought and lost than not to have fought at all.

It is better to have fought and lost than not to have fought at all.

Probably the most off topic reply ever.

Cheers Pete I've been trying to remember the name of a certain kids tv programme from the 70's for ages and that flicked the switch, The Flashing Blade!

Probably the most off topic reply ever.

Cheers Pete I've been trying to remember the name of a certain kids tv programme from the 70's for ages and that flicked the switch, The Flashing Blade!

[video=youtube;z-ZEDNkZ2L4]

Edited by pete

This is a no brainer. Sell the boy, take the money.

Wonder-kids are rarely ever all they are cracked up to be. For every one Billy Gilmore, John Fleck, Danny Wilson, etc, who have been the next big thing, there's an under the radar success like Barry Ferguson or Shagger. But more importantly, there are hundreds from that level who don't become the next Messi or Rooney.

From the RFC website: Lewis McLeod, Fraser Aird, Barrie McKay, Chris Hegarty, Robbie Crawford, Rhys McCabe, Andy Mitchell, Kane Hemmings, Thomas Kind Bendiksen, Ross Perry, Darren Cole, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andrew Little, Jordan McMillan, Andrew Murdoch, Tom Walsh, Danny Stoney, Luca Gasporrotto, Kyle MacAusland, Scott Gallacher, Calum Gallagher, Charlie Telfer and Ryan Hardie.