Rangers 2 (Miller,Toral) Partick Thistle 0

Torrid first half up to the goal. Our midfielders were all over the place, no cohesion or will to actually run with the ball. It was treated like a hot coal and thus errors arose and we did not find any way of rhythm. Steady first half ... and a good sub at HT, as Dodoo brought more threat to that side. Great work for the 2nd goal, Hyndman sure looks a player when he is on his game. Toral has you screaming at times, and look on bewildered about his vision in the next moment.

Our tremendous ill luck in front of goal continues, we could and should have had at least another 3 or 4.

Man of the match IMHO was Jason Holt. Magnificent workrate, covered the defence, up and down the park ... seems to relish his new role in there.

Every time you say this DB, I reply by querying whether it is luck. All season we have hit the ball close to the keeper either making the save easy for him or the ball simply bouncing off him at high speed. This is not ill-luck, it is bad play. Waghorn and Garner do it continually (Garner even managing in his cameo role today) but the whole team are pretty expert at it - perhaps Toral and Hyndman excepted. I read time after time on here that keepers have played a blinder against us when, in reality, they've made at the most one or two really good saves and rarely any that they shouldn't in fact be saving. They look like they've saved the day with a string of stops when goals were expected but this is due to our poor finishing by repetitively headering or kicking the ball towards where they are or at least not placing it far enough away from them - it's not ill luck.

Agreed re Holt though Hyndman pushed him close imo.

Edited by SteveC

Every time you say this DB, I reply by querying whether it is luck. All season we have hit the ball close to the keeper either making the save easy for him or the ball simply bouncing off him at high speed. This is not ill-luck, it is bad play. Waghorn and Garner do it continually (Garner even managing in his cameo role today) but the whole team are pretty expert at it - perhaps Toral and Hyndman excepted. I read time after time on here that keepers have played a blinder against us when, in reality, they've made at the most one or two really good saves and rarely any that they shouldn't in fact be saving. They look like they've saved the day with a string of stops when goals were expected but this is due to our poor finishing by repetitively headering or kicking the ball towards where they are or at least not placing it far enough away from them - it's not ill luck.

Agreed re Holt though Hyndman pushed him close imo.

Well, we tend to play to the opposition's strengths when trying to pass the ball into the net, instead of having a pop from the edge of the penalty area as soon as a chance presents itself. Today, Cerny dived hard to get a hand on Miller's and Waghorn's shots, saved Wilson's netbound header too, and Halliday's shot late on. On another day, he might have seen the shot a fraction too late or reacted too slow ... in these four instances, Cerny did rather well. That aside, we tend to have a problem to get on the end of second and third balls in the area, as some defender or another will get a leg or foot in the way. Then again, that scenario comes from what I wrote in the first sentence though. You pray for Dodoo, Windass, Forrester and now Toral and Hyndman playing, as they do indeed try the odd shot from distance.

It is not all about ill-luck, obviously, but neither is it all down to our inabilities or players not being "good enough".

Edited by der Berliner

Well, we tend to play to the opposition's strengths when trying to pass the ball into the net, instead of having a pop from the edge of the penalty area as soon as a chance presents itself. Today, Cerny dived hard to get a hand on Miller's and Waghorn's shots, saved Wilson's netbound header too, and Halliday's shot late on. On another day, he might have seen the shot a fraction too late or reacted too slow ... in these four instances, Cerny did rather well. That aside, we tend to have a problem to get on the end of second and third balls in the area, as some defender or another will get a leg or foot in the way. Then again, that scenario comes from what I wrote in the first sentence though. You pray for Dodoo, Windass, Forrester and now Toral and Hyndman playing, as they do indeed try the odd shot from distance.

It is not all about ill-luck, obviously, but neither is it all down to our inabilities or players not being "good enough".

The Miller and Waghorn shots were placed so that he could and indeed should have saved them. They could and should have placed the shots beyond the keeper's reach and into the net but they didn't. I don't think luck comes into that. As for the Wilson one, it was exciting at the time but it was pretty much straight at him - I'd be horrified if my keeper let that in. My RTV was bufferng at the Halliday one - as it was with a late Garner one. From what I saw (admittedly fleeting and bewilderingly one immediately after the other as RTV caught up with itself) they both hit it where he could reach it instead of away from him.

The Wilson header I only saw once, too, so am willing to be corrected. RTV was a bit of a struggle today...........

Edited by SteveC

Bates is crap with his feet, but better in the air and when he uses his strength; reads the game well enough too.

It's amazing how we all see the game/players differently!, I thought Bates did well and his use of the ball, young Beerman did well and Danny Wilson has stepped up to the plate these last three games!, my MOTM would be Holt by a mile, I thought he was all over the pitch pressuring the ball, it seems he has been given a specific duty from PC and he understands what he has to do!.

A good win, another clean sheet, and we could/should have scored more if it wasn't for their keeper making some excellent saves, onwards and upwards!

Very interesting stuff. I like to listen to him, he seems free from the usual cliches or pretensions. Just a man talking about his job openly and in good detail.

I also loved MW's interviews at first, I readily admit - there seems a lot more detailed substance in PC's words, however.

Edited by SteveC