We can say that about everyone in the team.

It's just where we are these days.

I would say that Wes had been one of our best players this season.

Yes, not arguing about that, just saying that he could easily be replaced by another average or average+ goalkeeper and it wouldn't make too much difference to us.

Alnwick is another of these players who represented England at Under 17 & 18 level then seems to have lost his way a bit. He had some man of the match performances for PV and my only real concern about him is whether his 67 games in senior football over the past five and a half seasons mostly in League One will equip someone who apparently was "was "over the moon" to stay with Port Vale" with the temperament to play in a Cup Semi Final vs Celtic at Hampden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_Alnwick

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Any goalkeeper, Wes included, will have more confidence, and thus improve, and look and play better, if the defence before him is sound.

The defence seems to have improved under Pedro C, not immeasurably, but discernibly, and Wes has, simultaneously, shown a like uplift in form.

Next season will be more instructive, as we will be able to judge after personnel changes, and a full pre season's coaching of the team, presupposing he is not papped out of the door, of course.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Wes is crooked and Jak comes in as I don't think Wes is any better than average and hasn't had a stand-out game in a big game yet, but I don't believe internet tittle-tattle for a minute, and fully expect Wes to play on Sunday.

Incidentally his best game to date was only a couple of weeks ago so it could be he is another (like Wilson) who just needed a decent manager to give him some confidence to up his game.

I don't agree with this at all

he regularly makes mistakes but has stopped us receiving some absolute hidings this season

the recent hearts 4-1 and at hogmanay

I didn't see the games but by all accounts he kept us in it vs Motherwell and Aberdeen.

However, I don't think he is anything more than an adequate goalkeeper at SPL level and not good enough to make a difference in Europe. We have been fortunate to have been blessed with some outstanding goalkeepers in recent memory: Woods, Goram, Klos and perhaps to a lesser extent McGregor. Unfortunately for Foderingham that's the standard against which he will be judged and sadly he couldn't wear their gloves.

Basically Foderingham makes the saves that you expect him to make most of the time and occasionally makes saves that you don't expect him to make; those others consistently made saves that they weren't entitled to make. Therefore they saved us points and got us through cup ties that otherwise we would have lost.

Discuss......

He often kept us in it by making saves from situations that would never have arisen had he come and claimed crosses instead of letting them fly in to dangerous areas. Credit it to him, though, for then making the (should have been unnecessary) stops.

However, I don't get your other point, the comparison. Have you forgotten what happened in 2012? Where we were sent and where we now are? Why should Goram, Klos and Woods "be the standards" he should be judged by? Are others to be judged by Baxter, Gascoigne and Laudrup?

We used to be a big fish in a tiny pond. That pond became a backwater. We got mugged, assaulted and almost killed. The backwater has become a dank, stank and stagnant health hazard in which we are imprisoned, tormented and curtailed.

Comparisons with the past are not just odious, they are silly. If we ever get a class keeper again (highly unlikely), he'll be instantly snapped up by a club with money from a real league.

Edited by SteveC