Double standards: Remembering Scot Symon

On our main site today, author David Gordon looks back on the hugely impressive career of the late, great Scot Symon whose cricketing and footballing pursuits earned him recognition, but perhaps he deserved more...

At almost 9000 words long you'll need a cup of tea but I highly recommend you take ten mins out of your day to read this fantastic biography of one of our club's greatest servants.

If, like myself and David, you think Scot should be in the Hall of Fame, then you can nominate him here: http://www.sshf.co.uk/nominate/

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/767-double-standards-remembering-scot-symon

A gentleman.

I wonder what he would have made of contemporary figures; of, oh, say, "lenny".

Hard to tell, but I think we may rest assured that JSS would not have proposed him for the Golf Club

Edited by Uilleam

What a brilliant article. Scot Symon was before my time and all I knew about him was that he was the manager when Rangers lost 'that' match, so to read up about him was quite fascinating. I had no idea that cricket was such a big sport in Scotland in pre-war years.

I think I may have related this here before but I met him when he was GM at Partick Thistle and I was refereeing the Reserve League. He phoned me to apologise the day after the night I was inadvertently locked in Firhill after refereeing PT v Dundee and said he hoped it wouldn't influence me in the Saturday match I was due to take again at Firhill vs Celtic.

Full story at the dinner for those who might be interested.

A true gentleman indeed.

I met Mr Symon a few times when I was young. My Grandad was a friend of his and could never speak highly enough of him.

A friends dad used to arrange Rangers flights and became friendly over the years with both Mr Struth and Scott Symon and had nothing but praise for both.