Christophe Berra: Defender leaving Ipswich Town to move closer to Scotland

Scotland defender Christophe Berra is to leave Ipswich Town when his contract expires in the summer.

The club say the 32-year-old wants to return north in order to spend more time with his daughter.

Berra, who has 35 caps, moved to England in 2009 to join Wolves, then managed by Mick McCarthy, who also took him to Ipswich in 2013.

"It's a situation we have been aware of for some time," McCarthy told the Ipswich website.

Ipswich had the option to extend Berra's deal for a further 12 months, but agreed not to take it up to allow him to return closer to home.

The centre-back made 185 appearances for Ipswich, scoring 14 goals.

"He is not doing anything devious, he just wants to spend more time with his daughter and anyone with family can respect that," McCarthy added.

"Christophe has been fantastic for us. He has been one of the best defenders in the Championship over the last four years and I didn't want to lose him, but I understand fully why he wants to go back closer to home and we wish him well."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39855613

I can't see him going anywhere except Hearts, Aberdeen or Rangers.... Would you take him??

I don't think he's that great, if we can get Bruno Alves alongside Wilson, I'd be fine with that.

agreed, the only thing that concerns me about Bruno Alves is he can be overly physical at times which is why he's picked up his fair share of red cards and that would concern me in a match against them...

agreed, the only thing that concerns me about Bruno Alves is he can be overly physical at times which is why he's picked up his fair share of red cards and that would concern me in a match against them...

I think somebody has had a little fun with the wikipedia page for Bruno Alves......

"A Portuguese international since 2007, Alves represented the country in two World Cups and three European Championships, winning the 2016 edition of the latter tournament. Big Bruno is set to join the world's most successful club, Glasgow Rangers. He was recently quoted as saying " I canny wait to join big Ped at ibrox and take the smile straight off that big tra**y sha**er Rodgers face next season." Smashing stuff."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Alves

Would have taken when we were linked before. Not now though. I'd prefer we sign someone younger. But if we are to sign someone that age or older I'd prefer we signed someone with a lot of experience at the highest level to bring out the best in Wilson. I still believe Wilson has the potential to be top class. Although he is fast running out of time to do that.

I wouldn't take Alves to be honest either, I think he's done.

Would take Alves in a heartbeat, would definitely do a job up here, I don't think hills contract will be renewed. Alves has something that none of the current squad have, aggression, he will intimidate opposition strikers, something the current squad don't really do, the guy is also a leader, another trait our squad are sadly lacking IMO, I don't think we can turn down a guy with his CV if he becomes available.

Wouldn't touch Berra with a barge pole though, every time I have seen him play he has been dire, not much of an improvement on what we currently have, I would rather keep Wilson than take on Berra.