[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 2 Rangers (Miller 40; Toral 52)

The Official Car to Perth Match Thread

So far the post split fixtures have seen Rangers win only one of three home games and the only away game at Firhill.

We started with a disastrous 1-5 record equalling loss at home to Celtic, when the first 30 minutes saw the incredible statistic of Celtic 81% possession, Rangers 19%. By then we were already 2-0 down unable to cope with Celtic’s high tempo passing game and lethal finishing. Another two in the first 20 minutes of the second half, saw us face humiliation; with our blushes little saved by Player of the Season, Kenny Miller, netting in the last 10 minutes before Lustig brushed our feeble challenges aside to net Celtic’s fifth. Many Rangers fans left after the third unable to take the sight of Celtic playing us off our own park. Some gave Pedro credit for “having a go” at home; but most say he didn’t heed the warning of the Cup Semi Final or learn from Murty’s team’s gritty performance at Parkhead, or even Walter’s 2007/08, “anti-football” team that knew how to grind out results with five in midfield or at the back, when playing technically superior opposition.

On to sunny Firhill, where the Maryhill Magyars also proceeded to play us of their park for the first 60 minutes, during which period Doolan scored an outstanding goal. However, double tactical changes, going three, then two at the back and the introduction of out of favour Mackay, who quickly proved his worth and a terrific run by Miller in which he beat three men inside the box and produced an inch perfect cross on the turn, saw Garner head the winner. It was difficult to explain just how ordinary a team we looked that day; and even more difficult to take.

Rangers regained some composure at home to Hearts last Saturday, aided by the same Miller to Garner combination as had produced the winner at Firhill. This time Miller provided another inch perfect cross on the run from wide right and Garner’s flying header went in agonisingly slowly off the post. Mistakes from Toral and Holt saw 10-man Hearts get back into the game for all of two minutes before Mackay took advantage of a double goalkeeping error to tap home the winner. The much maligned Cathro showed his tactical awareness in setting up his 10 men and it often seemed that Rangers were the team playing short-handed in the second half.

The only composed team at Ibrox on Wednesday night were Aberdeen who secured their first win in Govan for 26 years, much more easily that the 2-1 scoreline suggests. Had it not been for a string of fine saves from Foderingham, this could easily have been another 5-1 drubbing. Rangers lined up with youngsters Bates and Aidan Wilson at CB and they were soon joined by another under-20, Beerman at LB. What Aberdeen lack in terms of flair compared with Celtic they more than make up with their well-drilled transition from attack to defence. Shinnie took advantage of a double error by Windass and Toral to score the first as Aberdeen‘s solid if unspectacular formation controlled the first half. Early in the second period, I remarked to my neighbour that it was like watching a European home game against far superior opposition and suggested they would soon score a second; which they duly did and to make matters worse it was on loan Celtic midfielder Christie who nodded it home. Waghorn’s first goal for two months was small consolation in losing our last home game of the season.

Another thing that struck me about Aberdeen was that with the exception of number 15, O’Connor, they had numbers 1 to 11 on the park; continuity goes a long way in football.

If there has been one small crumb of comfort in this dismal spell, it has been the introduction of youngsters: Beerman, Bates, A Wilson and Barjonas. Beerman had a baptism of fire against Roberts but will have learned a lot from these games. Bates is a decent defender but his passing out of defence is shocking. I’m not convinced about him. I liked what I saw of Aidan Wilson on Wednesday, against experienced forwards he got right into the tackles from the beginning and acquitted himself well.

Another point worth noting is that PC has been quick to drop those who he doesn’t trust to perform or carry out his instructions. Hence Halliday and more recently Holt have been benched and others such as O’Halloran and Forrester are nowhere to be seen unless you are at the 6.00am training session.

Pedro has hinted that more youngsters will start tomorrow (well today now). I don’t know enough about our under-20’s to predict who that might be; but I suspect that Barjonas will start this one along with Bates, Wilson and Beerman at the back and perhaps we may see Serge Atakayi at some point.

I expect something along the lines of this attacking line up to make the short trip to Perth in search of the victory that will send our troops of to the sun and sand for the extremely short close season.

Foderingham

Tavernier, Bates, Wilson and Beerman;

Miller, Barjonas, Windass;

Waghorn, Garner, Mackay.

I expect Waghorn to start as much because he’s in the shop window as anything else and Windass may retain his place at the expense of Dodoo who has pace and skill but is far too easily brushed off the ball. Windass will only get a game if there is absolutely no one else but despite what I said about Waghorn, Atakayi could easily get a start in place of him or Mackay.

I travel in hope.

Anyone in East Dunbartonshire or environs interested in a lift to Perth tomorrow post here or PM me if you don't want it known. :D

Edited by pete

Anyone in East Dunbartonshire or environs interested in a lift to Perth tomorrow post here or PM me if you don't want it known. :D

You couldn't drive Waghorn to Scunthorpe, instead?

Ha, I was expecting a match thread in here ... :shifty::cool:

You couldn't drive Waghorn to Scunthorpe, instead?

Do two runs and take half the team down for fish n chips. They won't pass that up!

As long as the vehicles return empty (save for the drivers, of course).

Thanks for useful suggestions and sorry to disappoint as I'm already booked to take Kiernan and Forrester to Nottingham.

Just to be clear; it was a serious offer and not a spoof thread.

I tried to do a match thread yesterday evening but kept falling asleep so I gave up and had no time today. I am afraid I like the players need a summer break for new energy.

I tried to do a match thread yesterday evening but kept falling asleep so I gave up and had no time today. I am afraid I like the players need a summer break for new energy.

You can make this the match thread if you like; I'll try add something later but like you, I'm in need of a break. It must be at least 5/6 weeks since I've been away.:hols: