We Are The People - Sectarian

... "The green boots being banned… that’s small-mindedness. And not really the key issue with his plans for the club and players. But it’s an important one too, as it also suggests that Sevco are intimidated by, or offended by, a colour. Let that sink in for a bit. A football club, its players, its manager, its directors, its fans, are all intimidated by a colour." ...

Bigots running Celtic FC force @dominos to change their red and blue sign in case it offended the offended

DDvz3qiV0AAwuSP.jpg:large

OOPS !!

Edited by barca72

A find from Budwiser over at FF about the Yahoos ... from 1888, mind you:

2gt841g.jpg

THE CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB.

Sir,-With your permission I should like to call attention to a matter which is of the utmost importance to the purity of football in Scotland - I mean the recent formation of the Celtic Football Club in the East End of Glasgow.

The able critic who signs himself "Viator" in Friday's news has done an eminent service to the noble name of football in bringing the fierce glare of public opinion to bear upon the doings of this remarkable combination, and I only wish to supplement his comments and strictures.

In the first place, the principle of organising a club of which the membership shall be confined to Roman Catholics is not one agreeable to common-sense or religious tolerance. If the object were to elevate football and its associations by wedding it to religion we should be silent, but no one can pretend that this will be the affect that will flow from the motley crowd that compose the Celtic team.

But, perhaps, the greatest objection to the Celtic Club is the manner in which its prominent players have been gathered from all parts of Scotland by the most barefaced and detestable tactics yet practictised by a Scotch club.

Was it their Irish patriotism that induced Kelly and McCallum to desert the strongest football combination of modern times, the present champions of the world? And here I should like to put an arithmetical question to the S.F.A. legislators. How is it that by his daily work a player in Dumbartonshire makes say, fifteen shillings a week, and on being taken under the patronage of a club such as the Celtic makes double that amount? If that workman had not been a clever football player would he have got the same wages?

Certainly not; and is, say, his employer so zealous for the success of Catholic football as to be fifteen shillings per week out of pocket for the sake of retaining the services of this able player? I don't think so.

The whole business is a disgrace to Scottish football. This system of wholesale poaching is degrading a noble pastime; it makes men divert their best thought and energy from the real business of life to what should only be a sport, a recreation.

The sooner our football legislators deal with such clubs as the Celtic, and that sharply, the sooner will Scottish football be cleared of the mists of corruption that at present envelope it.

-I am, &c. BLACK AND GOLD

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?1113560-Revealing-letter-in-a-Glasgow-paper-from-1888

Edited by der Berliner