Club 1872 Statement on Neil Lennon

So the media today are all over this statement and the police complaints about Lennon, instead of the worst case of referee cheating we have seen in years.

I think we chose to focus on the wrong agenda. The refereeing needs to be dealt with.

The media will ALWAYS choose the agenda that best suits them.....

Yes, yes this is true TB. They are running with the Lennon story because they feel its the easiest to rubbish. Although it should be the topic it would be much harder for the SMSM to debate the game and referees performance. We've let them away with taking liberties for the last five years its obvious to me thats not going to be allowed to continue at least by our support so as far as I'm concerned its one battle at a time.

Yes, yes this is true TB. They are running with the Lennon story because they feel its the easiest to rubbish. Although it should be the topic it would be much harder for the SMSM to debate the game and referees performance. We've let them away with taking liberties for the last five years its obvious to me thats not going to be allowed to continue at least by our support so as far as I'm concerned its one battle at a time.

Easier for them to project the "victim" card for poor old Lenny....also gives them an excuse to rub it in that we got beaten.

Just me that feels Lennon didn't actually do anything 'wrong' then? The 'get it up you' arm gesture could be construed as an issue and as has been mentioned Halliday was sent off for an identical gesture and I remember watching David Healy being sent off for doing the same thing when playing for Northern Ireland once. He should probably get some sort of punishment from the SPFL for it, but, if I'm honest, I don't think Halliday should have been sent off for it and I don't think Lennon should get into bother for it. As for the cupping of his ears gesture, c'mon, are we really going to take offence at that? 50,000 of us call him for everything, we should be able to take a bit back. A football match is not a place for shrinking violets or the easily offended. I've said and done things at matches I look back on later with embarrassment, but you get caught up in it all, some slack needs given both ways I think.

Lennon makes some strange choices and I think most of us, if we'd experienced assaults and what have you, would be a bit more cautious and circumspect in our future behaviour, he clearly feels differently. But this feels petty to me. The best response to Lennon is to beat his teams every time we play them, he can cup his ears all he likes then.

Just me that feels Lennon didn't actually do anything 'wrong' then? The 'get it up you' arm gesture could be construed as an issue and as has been mentioned Halliday was sent off for an identical gesture and I remember watching David Healy being sent off for doing the same thing when playing for Northern Ireland once. He should probably get some sort of punishment from the SPFL for it, but, if I'm honest, I don't think Halliday should have been sent off for it and I don't think Lennon should get into bother for it. As for the cupping of his ears gesture, c'mon, are we really going to take offence at that? 50,000 of us call him for everything, we should be able to take a bit back. A football match is not a place for shrinking violets or the easily offended. I've said and done things at matches I look back on later with embarrassment, but you get caught up in it all, some slack needs given both ways I think.

Lennon makes some strange choices and I think most of us, if we'd experienced assaults and what have you, would be a bit more cautious and circumspect in our future behaviour, he clearly feels differently. But this feels petty to me. The best response to Lennon is to beat his teams every time we play them, he can cup his ears all he likes then.

No issue with the cupping of ears but the GIRFUY gesture is provocative and very unprofessional in any other league in the world and could lead to trouble and isn't much of an example to set kids (along with some of the fan aggression towards him). Lennon also got a guy sacked from his job for a 5-1 gesture so him playing the jolly craicster celebration card doesn't stack up for me. He knew what he was doing and there is a real poison towards us which he is playing to and is getting worse. It's never actually people like him or Griffiths who ever suffer as they are protected but these incidents can cause violence away from the ground and therefore need to be dealt with harshly. They also bring the reputation of our abysmal league further into disrepute

I don't think we need to make a choice between his actions and the referee as both need to be challenged.

i would far rather the club made concise statements on both issues separately observing the problem, making it clear it has been noted and will be added to 'the list' and with a 'what are you going to do about it' to the relevant people. Unfortunately when it comes from a fan group then people can simply point to the behaviour of fans. The club itself does everything to stamp out bad behaviour so could legitimately argue that they need more support from the authorities.

Pat Fenlon got a four match ban for the same gesture (the arm one, not the ear cupping - I agree with you there).

Edited by SteveC

All comes down to situation & circumstance.....

This match was supposedly marked as "high risk" by security/Polis, to then go out and do what Lemon did is just stupid & potentially dangerous.

Easier for them to project the "victim" card for poor old Lenny....also gives them an excuse to rub it in that we got beaten.

To tell you the truth Darther I couldn't give a monkeys about what Lennon does towards the stands he's a half wit that i wouldn't rise to. What concerns me about the situation is that our coaching staff felt he did something that they found disrespectful enough to merit complaint to police and that is not acceptable in any work place.

To tell you the truth Darther I couldn't give a monkeys about what Lennon does towards the stands he's a half wit that i wouldn't rise to. What concerns me about the situation is that our coaching staff felt he did something that they found disrespectful enough to merit complaint to police and that is not acceptable in any work place.

I'm sure there were plenty of folk in those seats that DO give a monkeys about what Lemon does....his actions could have led to crowd trouble....

I'm sure there were plenty of folk in those seats that DO give a monkeys about what Lemon does....his actions could have led to crowd trouble....

Have you ever heard Kevin Thompson talking about Walters instructs prior to playing against them with him in the team? Making it a battle on the park was a legit tactic to get under their skin and beat them. Lennon does the exact same thing with his teams now as a manager. He is however also a mouthy nasty little ned who carries the nastiness on off the field. I agree with you essentially but it doesn't make it all right if there is crowd trouble on either part. Individually if we are reduced to the same level and cant control ourselves when some wee nyaff is throwing shade at us during a football match then its time to chuck it.