[FT] Ross County 1 - 3 Rangers (Morelos 31, 41; Herrera 89)

The highlights are on the BBC website.

It was a good win yesterday but I'm still really disappointed with the second half performance.

The first half we did well and took the chances we created. After half-time, County understandably changed their system, went more direct and we struggled to cope for a while - particularly after they pulled one back. I think Niko was fouled but the defending afterwards was poor as Tav (who was otherwise pretty good) lost the runner.

Pena and Herrera then came on but the midfielder struggled badly for 10-15mins and kept giving the ball away. It was only when Rossiter came on and we went to a 4-2-3-1, we nullified the County threat (particularly on our left) and we could have scored before Herrera finally did late on.

Overall, again it's difficult to argue with the work-rate but I think the manager was far too slow to react to County's threat and kept the game too open for too long. Moreover, if we're to play a 4-4-2, he simply must sign a proper left midfield player as neither Kranjcar or Pena looked comfortable there. Windass has done OK but he's made of glass and I'm not sure we can rely on him either.

Probably my biggest concern yesterday was that it took him a solid 10 minutes too long to realize that Kranjcar was blowing out of his arse. During that time County scored and during that time we were, effectively, playing with 10 men. Kranjcar is a fine player, but we ALL know that an hour is as much as you will get out of him. Had Pedro made that change after, say, 55 minutes, then we likely would have ran out comfortable winners and wouldn't even be talking about looking uncomfortable in the 2nd half.

I was very, very surprised to see that Miller coming off was our first sub. I know that TB will say he was pleased at that :D but the sad reality yesterday was that, despite Miller offering very little, Kranjcar was absolutely done and should have been the first to get the hook.

Pedro stressed in his summer interview(s) that Niko would be his main man. Talked about him a la a quarterback in US football.

Pedro may need to change his mind then.

Kranjcar is a quality footballer, no doubt about it. But watching him yesterday he was very, very slow. As someone said, he slows the game down so much because of his lack of stamina and pace, that it allows the opposition to reset - if he isn't playing in the "hole" as the "10" then Niko has to be used as a sub - coming on when everyone else will be as tired as he is fresh.

I think we are being a bit unfair on Niko. This was his first league start in 10 months and we seen even last season it took him quite a few games before we could see his quality come through. Add in a lot of new players, new system etc.

When the player has an undoubted quality and pedigree, it must be worth showing more patience. It is different from other players who have never been a success at a high level. You know the quality is there, we just have to find the best way of getting the most out of him, and keeping him fit.

Keeping him fit isn't the problem - him actually getting match fit seems to be the problem right now.

You are right though - on his day he is probably our best player and, indeed, is the one creative spark we would have in our team - so, then, do we persevere in giving him game time to see him get match fit and sharper ? Maybe so. But not playing wide left as that leaves Wallace badly exposed on that side.

Depending on the system and game, I think Niko could play in a central role but not in a wider role where a player has to have the engine and pace to get up and down the park constantly.

Windass may lack the creative skills of Niko but he's a bit more mobile so we can get away with playing him there. But even he has struggled with the athleticism such a role requires. It's easy to criticise Tav and Wallace but no-one can argue over their fitness in that sense.

I don't like this 2 week break between County and Dundee. I feel we're not even close to peaking yet but will get there the more we play in an unbroken pattern. Though I think we all expect another signing or two incoming this week which would then give them a bit of time to settle in before Dundee visit.

One plus is we can hopefully presume incomers will arrive already match fit. Walker would appear to be a certainty. Hearts can't afford to lose that money and it's likely they have only been dragging it out to the death hoping that someone from down South would come in with a better offer and to get some final games out of him while also disrupting our early season and team building process.

I don't like this 2 week break between County and Dundee. I feel we're not even close to peaking yet but will get there the more we play in an unbroken pattern. Though I think we all expect another signing or two incoming this week which would then give them a bit of time to settle in before Dundee visit.

One plus is we can hopefully presume incomers will arrive already match fit. Walker would appear to be a certainty. Hearts can't afford to lose that money and it's likely they have only been dragging it out to the death hoping that someone from down South would come in with a better offer and to get some final games out of him while also disrupting our early season and team building process.

Yeah, I'd hope we organise a friendly for next weekend. Pena and Herrera need games.

We've not played St Johnstone in such a game for at least three weeks... :D

At the 2nd Goal....what would have happened if it had been Miller instead of Morellos???

Miller used to do exactly this sort of thing all the time, he had blocked a number of keeper kickouts and forced poor clearances on many occasions as well. Of course this was in his first two stints at the club and not this time around when he has been a mere shadow of the player he was.

Keeping him fit isn't the problem - him actually getting match fit seems to be the problem right now.

You are right though - on his day he is probably our best player and, indeed, is the one creative spark we would have in our team - so, then, do we persevere in giving him game time to see him get match fit and sharper ? Maybe so. But not playing wide left as that leaves Wallace badly exposed on that side.

The evidence from alst season is he was just hitting his strides when he got injured. On that basis we must persevere with giving him an hour here and there to see if he can recapture his form. On his day he is our only creative midfield talent and if we dont play him we have no creative midfield talent, so the choice is a bleak but easy one.

Yeah, I'd hope we organise a friendly for next weekend. Pena and Herrera need games.

We've not played St Johnstone in such a game for at least three weeks... :D

Dont think we will be doing that. i'm sure I read somewhere Pedro thinks the players need a break so they are having a few days off this week.