Club1872 update

The cash they've collected for shares has largely gone to third parties like Mike Ashley rather than the club, with which I have a major issue.

Most of the board members resigned and they were down to one at one point (the club's company secretary, who represented Dave King in the Takeover Panel saga and who didn't disclose this massive conflict of interest.) There were implications and accusations of conflicts of interest with another board member.

Joanne and Laura rejoined the board and that's seen an improvement in the interaction with the fans and their activities.

They issued a statement on Neil Lennon recently which has resulted in some criticism in some quarters, but I thought it was fine.

Overall a very mixed bag. Basically the organisation has been let down by some of its board members (present company excluded), but improvements seem to being made and hopefully they will go from strength to strength,

Edited by Bluedell

With all due respect D'Artagnan, the Club1872 website made it clear about their shareholding, which is nice for them. However, my question was what benefits it intends to deliver to its members - or even just to the wider support. Does Club1872 have a list of tangible target achievements and do they have in place the means to measure and report progress on these targets? Perhaps you can fill me in.

Given the nature of your post above, I guess I should make it clear that I have absolutely no axe to grind with Club1872, nor do I have the slightest understanding of what it is about or what it seeks to achieve, beyond the shallow generalities I see today on its website. Hence my question.

Their shareholding is far more than simply "nice for them" Bill.

Their statement of intent & purpose is clear on their website:

Club 1872 is a cause with one clear and common purpose for all those who hold Rangers dear – to rebuild, maintain and protect the club that supporters across the world love.

Would you not agree that the greatest way to protect the club is by ensuring that those with the power to make decisions which affect it, are persons with the club's best interests at heart ? I would also suggest that their steady acquisition of shares to where they are now - 2nd largest shareholder - is a tangible and visible means of evaluating how successful they have been in bringing that statement of intent to fruition.

Can I ask a question of you now. Why would you consider the task of protecting the club a shallow generality ?

Edited by D'Artagnan

Their shareholding is far more than simply "nice for them" Bill.

Their statement of intent & purpose is clear on their website:

Would you not agree that the greatest way to protect the club is by ensuring that those with the power to make decisions which affect it' date=' are persons with the club's best interests at heart ? I would also suggest that their steady acquisition of shares to where they are now - 2nd largest shareholder - is a tangible and visible means of evaluating how successful they have been in bringing that statement of intent to fruition.

Can I ask a question of you now. Why would you consider the task of protecting the club a shallow generality ?[/quote']

My opinion is that Bill is just sniping from the outside.

Any Bears who have a go at Club1872 obviously don't trust their fellow Bears with involvement in the boardroom. Understandable in some respects. They seem to want a sugar daddy...ain't gonna happen.

I packed in my membership after the 5-1 game because I was bloody annoyed. I may return but I think things have to look better before doing so. But Bears having a bigger say in how the club is run is a very good thing in my view and I'm glad I've contributed.

My opinion is that Bill is just sniping from the outside.

Try to calm down, I wasn't aware there was an "outside" and I'm certainly not sniping at anyone. I'm neither for nor against Club1872 and haven't given it much thought. Other than acquiring shares and the generality of fan ownership, I've more or less no idea what it's about. I only asked a question hoping to find out what specific projects it was pursuing and what tangible improvements supporters might expect to see accruing from its activities. So far no one has offered any information about this. Perhaps no one knows.

I am slightly puzzled why people see a need to defend something that wasn't being attacked in the first place. I've no interest in attacking Club1872, or indeed praising it since, beyond the general aim of acquiring shares and representing its membership, it's unclear to me what it's trying to deliver in terms of specific deliverables. If this is a sensitive issue for some then I apologise and will happily return to my ignorance.

Try to calm down, I wasn't aware there was an "outside" and I'm certainly not sniping at anyone. I'm neither for nor against Club1872 and haven't given it much thought. Other than acquiring shares and the generality of fan ownership, I've more or less no idea what it's about. I only asked a question hoping to find out what specific projects it was pursuing and what tangible improvements supporters might expect to see accruing from its activities. So far no one has offered any information about this. Perhaps no one knows.

I am slightly puzzled why people see a need to defend something that wasn't being attacked in the first place. I've no interest in attacking Club1872, or indeed praising it since, beyond the general aim of acquiring shares and representing its membership, it's unclear to me what it's trying to deliver in terms of specific deliverables. If this is a sensitive issue for some then I apologise and will happily return to my ignorance.

As far as I know the have money apart for projects but as a non-member I am not in a position to know them. I would imagine they have something to do with the handicapped seating but FS will know best about that.